Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 17, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #25,801 of 62,458
I am actually using iTunes ONLY to get files onto my phone ... video for VLC and flac for an app called VOX ... have not used iTunes for music in ages ...

Can;t really do streaming since we have very limited internet on this island and music can eat up quite some when in higher Q ...

Got the new FW on APP, can;t say I hear a difference yet, need to some time ... no idea how to test spatial audio, seems you have to use video files from whatever apple proprietary source (itunes? apple TV?) i might be locked out there because of region again .. never got anything 'official' from iTunes store regarding video ... maybe they have free trailers? Shall test :D
For Spatial, it isn't just about what plays it but also what surround encoder was used to make the content. See if you can find a trailer with Dolby preferably Atmos in the Apple TV or iTunes Store app. It is also better on an iPad since you can move your head and the audio space will follow.

You should also check out the Accessibility->AirPods->Audio Accessibility Settings->Headphone Accomodations... to see whether the simple customisation works for you. Note these customisations follow your around on playback on iPad and iPhone but not Mac.

Sep 17, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #25,802 of 62,458
For Spatial, it isn't just about what plays it but also what surround encoder was used to make the content. See if you can find a trailer with Dolby preferably Atmos in the Apple TV or iTunes Store app. It is also better on an iPad since you can move your head and the audio space will follow.

Yeah, tried with trailers and I do hear a difference ... can't really describe it yet, still have to find a real kick ass trailer ...

You should also check out the Accessibility->AirPods->Audio Accessibility Settings->Headphone Accomodations... to see whether the simple customisation works for you. Note these customisations follow your around on playback on iPad and iPhone but not Mac.
OOOhhh, that's like a mini-eq hidden deep deep inside the settings! Great find! Thanks for sharing!

I do think the new FW has finally given (back?) the APP some dynamic uuummmppphh it was lacking ...

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #25,803 of 62,458
I got my Fiio FH3 today, along with a BTR5.
They are so damned good compared to all BT/TWS I've ever tested, so I think may need a TWS adapter I can use with the FH3. (MMCX connector).
Which do I buy? :) (Need AAC cause I use an iPhone)

i recommend the TRN BT20S PRO. Just choose the MMCX version. I bought extra connectors so i can hook up 4 of my IEMs to it

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #25,806 of 62,458
Yeah, tried with trailers and I do hear a difference ... can't really describe it yet, still have to find a real kick ass trailer ...

OOOhhh, that's like a mini-eq hidden deep deep inside the settings! Great find! Thanks for sharing!

I do think the new FW has finally given (back?) the APP some dynamic uuummmppphh it was lacking ...
Instructions are at:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211218?cid=mc-ols-audio-article_ht211218-ios_ui-06042020

I still prefer SoundID from Sonarworks but definitely has improved the sound to better suit my weird tastes.

Also what do you think of automatic switching?

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #25,807 of 62,458

I think you can get AppleTV+ in Sri Lanka. If so try the trailers for Greyhound, Elephant Queen and Amazing Stories are neat.

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #25,808 of 62,458
I think you can get AppleTV+ in Sri Lanka. If so try the trailers for Greyhound, Elephant Queen and Amazing Stories are neat.
I was able to get a 1 year free trial. When you log in with your Apple ID, it seems to see what new Apple devices you've connected to your account (purchased) recently and will give you a 1 year trial in lieu of the 7 day trial.

https://offers.appletvapp.apple/

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #25,809 of 62,458
Today I received Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 which was an impulse buy to be honest. I have been using Anker Soundcore Liberty Pro 2 for some time now which I think are fantastic, but hoped the Sennheiser would offer me something over and above those.

I have to say I was very disappointed by them, not 'bad' as such, but very underwhelming and I far prefer the sound signature of the Ankers in particular the bass response. I tried a variety of tips with the Sennheisers and a selection of music but frankly the Ankers consistantly sounded better less than half the price. Just more exciting and engaging, with deeper low-end.

So far, to my ears the Liberty Pro 2's have won out against the MW07 Plus, Sennheiser TW2 and Sony WF-1000XM3 earphones. I imagine there is possibly something out there to beat the Ankers but half the brands of bluetooth earphones I have never heard of or know next to nothing about, hence why I seem to keep going for more 'known' brands that seem to disappoint.

Sep 17, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #25,810 of 62,458
Today I received Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 which was an impulse buy to be honest. I have been using Anker Soundcore Liberty Pro 2 for some time now which I think are fantastic, but hoped the Sennheiser would offer me something over and above those.

I have to say I was very disappointed by them, not 'bad' as such, but very underwhelming and I far prefer the sound signature of the Ankers in particular the bass response. I tried a variety of tips with the Sennheisers and a selection of music but frankly the Ankers consistantly sounded better less than half the price. Just more exciting and engaging, with deeper low-end.

So far, to my ears the Liberty Pro 2's have won out against the MW07 Plus, Sennheiser TW2 and Sony WF-1000XM3 earphones. I imagine there is possibly something out there to beat the Ankers but half the brands of bluetooth earphones I have never heard of or know next to nothing about, hence why I seem to keep going for more 'known' brands that seem to disappoint.
You cannot judge the MTW2s after just trying the stock tips, IMHO. They are cr...

Sep 17, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #25,812 of 62,458
I will probably go for the ThieAudio Legacy 3 and wondering which wireless adapters are nice for those.
Bluetooth or TWS. I'm not exactly sure yet what's the best option for me.

PS: If you think the L3 are crap for classical music, you're welcome to tell me what may be a better option. I'm new to the IEM business.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #25,813 of 62,458
I will probably go for the ThieAudio Legend 3 and wondering which wireless adapters are nice for those.
Bluetooth or TWS. I'm not exactly sure yet what's the best option for me.

PS: If you think the L3 are crap for classical music, you're welcome to tell me what may be a better option. I'm new to the IEM business.

Why the L3 when the L5 just came out. :)

Sep 17, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #25,815 of 62,458
I was able to get a 1 year free trial. When you log in with your Apple ID, it seems to see what new Apple devices you've connected to your account (purchased) recently and will give you a 1 year trial in lieu of the 7 day trial.

https://offers.appletvapp.apple/
Do you know if you can get multiple free years? ie, if I bought another new phone would I get another free year? I doubt it, but curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back