Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 5, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #21,107 of 62,422
I never really like the sound of the 215 that much, but i just on a complete whim purchased the Aonic 50 headphones and by default they have a nice clear though sharp at times, sound to them. A good amount of bass but definitely leaning toward flat. If these twes resemble the headphones at all, then i think a lot of BA fans especially would like them. I was actually thinking about that a few hours ago before i even hopped on here for the day. one thing that really is a miss on Shure's part imo is that the EQ only works for both Aonic models for locally stored songs. You download their app and it pulls in whatever local files you have and the music has to be played through it. Really asinine. Someone needs to be slapped for shure.

Yes, clear and Sharp is not quite the SE215 so if they didn't change the earphones it would be good to know what sound they impart to the earphones and the EQ options etc. There do seem to be quite a few quibbles with the possible connection issue, and no VC, and your mention, and the case/turning on being more a hassle than it needs to be.

FWIW: I would suggest to add B&O E8 3rd generation. To my ears they sound better/clearer than the Sony*s, but it is really important using the right tips. I am using the Comply Truegrip, which also perfect for the Sony’s.....
Yeah, I know. Mifo 07, B&O, MW07, Mavin, etc. There is quite a list of stuff people put forth as candidates for top level TW sound. Gets to be a long read :)

This ... or like what some people do here, they might get a second ... or even third set of TWS :)

Which just means more searching and reading most likely since you can't stop after the first choice. Not that we do stop reading up and checking out and doing "homework" Speaking of, looking at the new Sony and this is interesting...
1586099193888.png

"A Bluetooth chip that transmits sound to left and right ears simultaneously, coupled with optimized antenna design, ensures a stable connection and outstanding listening. Low audio latency makes for enjoyable video viewing too."

Just how are they doing that? No caveats/footnotes about needing certain TWS enabled devices. Not sure what chip(Airoha probably) or exactly how it is accomplished.

The new Sony, after some homework, are a Class 1 BT device and have 12mm drivers. Early street price is $128 shipped. They don't look half bad.

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #21,108 of 62,422
Yes, clear and Sharp is not quite the SE215 so if they didn't change the earphones it would be good to know what sound they impart to the earphones and the EQ options etc. There do seem to be quite a few quibbles with the possible connection issue, and no VC, and your mention, and the case/turning on being more a hassle than it needs to be.

Yeah, I know. Mifo 07, B&O, MW07, Mavin, etc. There is quite a list of stuff people put forth as candidates for top level TW sound. Gets to be a long read :)

Which just means more searching and reading most likely since you can't stop after the first choice. Not that we do stop reading up and checking out and doing "homework" Speaking of, looking at the new Sony and this is interesting...
1586099193888.png
"A Bluetooth chip that transmits sound to left and right ears simultaneously, coupled with optimized antenna design, ensures a stable connection and outstanding listening. Low audio latency makes for enjoyable video viewing too."

Just how are they doing that? No caveats/footnotes about needing certain TWS enabled devices. Not sure what chip(Airoha probably) or exactly how it is accomplished.

The new Sony, after some homework, are a Class 1 BT device and have 12mm drivers. Early street price is $128 shipped. They don't look half bad.
I'm sorry, B&O and MW07 with peaky emphasized treble doesn't qualify as top level sound.

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #21,109 of 62,422

I am kinda curious about them as well even though they don't have any of the current bells & whistles (ANC, AptX?) ...
they look nice and hey, XB, which we all know means 'ex Borg' :D

Might have to wait a while until I can try them .. there's still hope that by summer flying back to EU is a viable option and I can play with amazon.de for a few weeks :D

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #21,111 of 62,422
I'm sorry, B&O and MW07 with peaky emphasized treble doesn't qualify as top level sound.
Agree to disagree. I have yet to hear a wireless I prefer to MW07+

I just mention what people put forth as options. Like I said, "A" over "B" and "B" over "A". Opinions do seem to differ.

I am kinda curious about them as well even though they don't have any of the current bells & whistles (ANC, AptX?) ...
they look nice and hey, XB, which we all know means 'ex Borg' :D

Might have to wait a while until I can try them .. there's still hope that by summer flying back to EU is a viable option and I can play with amazon.de for a few weeks :D

Might try due to the current situation and having some more time on my hands. More interested if they are using their 12mm driver which is solid. Look like a good design for fit and to control with the button on the bottom and the antennas at the top. They look to be getting better with design and battery and we have adequate water resistance now.

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #21,112 of 62,422
Been using the MTW2s for a couple days now. First impressions are excellent for TWS as they should be for $300. Will def do a full review by end of next week with a detailed breakdown of everything. One thing I’ve been seeing around (not so much here but in reviews in general) is that these sound the same as the previous version. Not that they sound dramatically different, but they are not identical. From my memory the sound of the originals was warmer, the bass was enveloping and a bit bloated and boomy at times, with a rolled off but still pretty detailed treble. The MTW2s are tighter, cleaner, a little wider stage, and more balanced tonally overall in my experience. They have a slightly cooler upper range and have a crispness that I sometimes found lacking in the originals, but render certain tracks a little more analytical. They are not quite as warm and the bass is slightly more subdued than the originals, but I’ve used the built in EQ for a bit of a bass and mid range lift and these sound better and cleaner to my ears.

For the full review, I’ll be doing A - B testing with the Nuarl N6 Pros, L2Ps, original MW07s, Lypertek TEVIs, and Fiil T1Xs, as well as some wired stuff.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #21,113 of 62,422
Some MTW2 reports are appearing on Amazon of "super weak sauce" ANC particularly compared to the APPs...which are not that great in the first place compared to the EchoBuds that remain the "best in class" isolation TWS courtesy of the Passive+ANR combo (based on my experience with the xm3s, APPs, Libratone TA+). Can anyone who owns the MTW2s and who has experience with the other ANC TWS comment on this ? Thanks !

Apr 5, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #21,115 of 62,422
Some MTW2 reports are appearing on Amazon of "super weak sauce" ANC particularly compared to the APPs...which are not that great in the first place compared to the EchoBuds that remain the "best in class" isolation TWS courtesy of the Passive+ANR combo (based on my experience with the xm3s, APPs, Libratone TA+). Can anyone who owns the MTW2s and who has experience with the other ANC TWS comment on this ? Thanks !

Ive only used them for 2 days but so far they are very good for low frequency noises, even a little better I’d say than the AirPods Pro. But the APP do a little better with higher frequencies. ANC tech is still not fully developed yet for true wireless earbuds so it’s hard to have amazingly high expectations. All I can say is that the ANC actually makes a difference on the MTW2s, which is more than you can say for other ANC earbuds out right now.

Apr 5, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #21,117 of 62,422
Ive only used them for 2 days but so far they are very good for low frequency noises, even a little better I’d say than the AirPods Pro. But the APP do a little better with higher frequencies. ANC tech is still not fully developed yet for true wireless earbuds so it’s hard to have amazingly high expectations. All I can say is that the ANC actually makes a difference on the MTW2s, which is more than you can say for other ANC earbuds out right now.
Would you say the anc is better than the sony's?

Apr 5, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #21,118 of 62,422
Would you say the anc is better than the sony's?

I haven’t spent a lot of time w the Sony’s. Tried my friend’s for a couple days a while ago. From memory I’d say they’re pretty similar. Sony might’ve been better overall but the MTW2s do at least as good a job with low frequencies from what I remember. I’d say pretty similar, maybe the MTW2s are slightly less effective overall. I’m not the best source for this though bc I don’t have the sonys in hand for direct comparison.

Apr 5, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #21,119 of 62,422
The 2nd hand sony's are getting near the $100 in some places and it felt like when they came out, they were the standard for anc. Personally ever review still said but for sound quality the mtw was still the king. My only anc are my b&o H9 and as stated, that isnt their strong point. Someone mentioned the b&o iems. Anybody have a take on those?

Apr 5, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #21,120 of 62,422
Been using the MTW2s for a couple days now. First impressions are excellent for TWS as they should be for $300. Will def do a full review by end of next week with a detailed breakdown of everything. One thing I’ve been seeing around (not so much here but in reviews in general) is that these sound the same as the previous version. Not that they sound dramatically different, but they are not identical. From my memory the sound of the originals was warmer, the bass was enveloping and a bit bloated and boomy at times, with a rolled off but still pretty detailed treble. The MTW2s are tighter, cleaner, a little wider stage, and more balanced tonally overall in my experience. They have a slightly cooler upper range and have a crispness that I sometimes found lacking in the originals, but render certain tracks a little more analytical. They are not quite as warm and the bass is slightly more subdued than the originals, but I’ve used the built in EQ for a bit of a bass and mid range lift and these sound better and cleaner to my ears.

For the full review, I’ll be doing A - B testing with the Nuarl N6 Pros, L2Ps, original MW07s, Lypertek TEVIs, and Fiil T1Xs, as well as some wired stuff.
I actually find the highs/treble a little too harsh with silicone tips.
When comparing with Lypertek, have you updated the Tevis? The new ones I got, updated with new firmware and app support, are way better in every way than the original ones I got.
I actually like the high mids (especially female vocals) better with the Tevis than with the MTW2s. I hope I'll get hold of a Comply Truegrip Pro for the Senns soon. Think they will subdue the harshness a little bit. (have the ones for Lypertek/Tozo/JBL on the Tevis... excellent fit and sound!!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back