Go-Vibe heads up! New version V5S
Dec 6, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #76 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One has to try and make the best of the situation you know.
kaffeetrinker_2.gif

Indeed, but at the same time, the Xenos thread sits languishing at a measly 33 posts...better put down that coffee mug and get busy!
crazy_pilot.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #77 of 114
I would like to make it clear, that the whole point of the Go-Vibe V5S is to allow easy op-amp rolling for those so inclined.
The op-amps supplied with the amp are mearly a place to begin, not neccessarily intended to be the ultimate choice.

As I already posted in another thread, there will be a basic op-amp rolling tutorial soon on the Go-Vibe site. It will be updated on an ongoing basis as feedback regarding the performance of other op-amps is received. Hopefully this will provide a useful database for those indulging in rolling op-amps in their Go-Vibe V5S.

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #78 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to make it clear, that the whole point of the Go-Vibe V5S is to allow easy op-amp rolling for those so inclined.
The op-amps supplied with the amp are mearly a place to begin, not neccessarily intended to be the ultimate choice.

As I already posted in another thread, there will be a basic op-amp rolling tutorial soon on the Go-Vibe site. It will be updated on an ongoing basis as feedback regarding the performance of other op-amps is received. Hopefully this will provide a useful database for those indulging in rolling op-amps in their Go-Vibe V5S.

I don't know the topology of your amp. Can it use both single and dual opamps?

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #79 of 114
I received my low gain version of the original from norm yesterday and I have to admit, I was a bit suprised with it.

After everything people have said, I can't see how the 6172 sounds synthetic. If anything it sounds murkier than using the audio straight from my M3. If anything it sounds how i expected a 2227 might sound like.

Admittedly the amp has cut down all electrical noise (except when the HD spins for a time, but in a portable environment you don't notice). Also, the hiss disappears unless I turn the volume way up, all I'm left with is the hiss on the recording - nothing you can do about that.

However, I'm wondering if the differences I'm hearing are from the line out rather than the amp?

I was just extremely surprised at how less open the sound was than my iaudio M3. I believe within the first ten seconds I realised what a difference no crossfeed makes i guess...Any ideas?
e.g. on a recording of handel messiah ('tis the season) it felt as if I was back in the cathedral singing it with the echo the amp introduced, but in other situations it is less rewarding. Almost like an EAX environment setting.
Perhaps i could hear more of the recording?

Whilst the amp seems amazing for some music, I have to admit, not great for everything. well other than getting rid of most of the electrical noise and only recording hiss.

p.s. as for topology it is one dual amp for the l+r, one single opamp for the grounding afaik in both.

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #80 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Provided it's the same configuration (and it seems to be indicated that it is) as the other GV5, it uses a single for the active ground and a dual for the output.

Dec 6, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #81 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Both versions of the Go-Vibe V5 use a dual op-amp for output L&R and a single op-amp for output ground. The virtual ground, which is now free of the heavier loads is served by a TI rail splitter.

With the Go-Vibe V5S, there is the option to use 3 single channel op-amps, as long as you use a suitable Brown Dog adapter for the L&R channels.

Dec 7, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #82 of 114
I've just deleted a number of posts that were off topic/thread crapping and personal attacks. If this continues the thread will be locked. It will be a shame for that to happen since the OP merely announced a new product for which he seemed to be excited about, as were others.

Dec 7, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #83 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just deleted a number of posts that were off topic/thread crapping and personal attacks. If this continues the thread will be locked. It will be a shame for that to happen since the OP merely announced a new product for which he seemed to be excited about, as were others.

Tyrion,

Thank you in spades! I was tempted several times today to say how sorry I was for ever starting this thread. Maybe now it can get back on track. In fact I never expected it to go much beyond a few replies since no one has the amp yet (almost no one I think).

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #85 of 114
I feel like I am in China with the censorship, oh I am.

I look forward to seeing the list of opamps that will work well in this design.

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #87 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
I feel like I am in China with the censorship, oh I am.

Never mind...good for Norm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back