Go-Vibe 5: What!Mate?!
Sep 15, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #376 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117
There is a "low gain" version available. What does that mean exactly? Does that mean that it drives efficient headphones BETTER than the reg GoVibe v5? See, I use an MS-1 and a 50ohm HD555.

Should I have gotten the low gain version instead?

From a practical point of view it means people with efficient cans (say less than 100 ohm) will be able to get the volume they want at 10 to 1. Instead of the same volume from 8 to 11. Off is at 7.

Sep 16, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #377 of 536
i ordered a go vibe... hope i can tell a discernable difference
lambda.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #378 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
From a practical point of view it means people with efficient cans (say less than 100 ohm) will be able to get the volume they want at 10 to 1. Instead of the same volume from 8 to 11. Off is at 7.

I'm new to all this, so I have no idea what you just said. Sorry for sounding so ignorant!
blink.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #379 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117
I'm new to all this, so I have no idea what you just said. Sorry for sounding so ignorant!
blink.gif

Ok, lets say you had two Go-Vibes 5 side by side and lets also say that the one on the left has a gain of 2.5 and the one the right has a gain of 5. Now lets have both amps be driven by the same source, so if you put the volume knob on both amps at say noon and plug your headphones the amp on the right would sound louder thant the one on the left.

Sep 16, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #381 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I am currently listening to my AKG K340 being driven by the Go-Vibe 5. I have the volume pot at 10:00 and it is loud enough for me.

For those not familiar with the K340 it is much harder to drive than the Senn HD580/600/650 series. I find it amazing this little amp can do so.
biggrin.gif

So how does it actually sound? Just curious.
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #383 of 536
Please forgive my ignorance, but I want to make something clear. I want the Go-Vibe v5 to be my first amp, and I'm going over all the accessories I'll need with the amp (though a great job is done of lining that out on the go-vibe web page) My question concernes the necessary cable size:

From the Go-Vibe page:

"You will require a cable terminating in a 3.5mm connector (otherwise known as a "mini" connector) to connect from your source to the Go-Vibe. The type of terminals on the other end of the cable will depend on what type of output connector your particular source has."

Looking at the pictures of the amp, it appeared the headphone jacks were for the larger size headphone connector, not, say, the more common connector found on standard headphones (like the ksc75). Will this cable be sufficient for going from an ipod line out to the Go-Vibe?

Link to mini-to-mini cables on TTVJ

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #384 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield
Please forgive my ignorance, but I want to make something clear. I want the Go-Vibe v5 to be my first amp, and I'm going over all the accessories I'll need with the amp (though a great job is done of lining that out on the go-vibe web page) My question concernes the necessary cable size:

From the Go-Vibe page:

"You will require a cable terminating in a 3.5mm connector (otherwise known as a "mini" connector) to connect from your source to the Go-Vibe. The type of terminals on the other end of the cable will depend on what type of output connector your particular source has."

Looking at the pictures of the amp, it appeared the headphone jacks were for the larger size headphone connector, not, say, the more common connector found on standard headphones (like the ksc75). Will this cable be sufficient for going from an ipod line out to the Go-Vibe?

Link to mini-to-mini cables on TTVJ

Thanks for your responses in advance.

yup no problem..
rs1smile.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #385 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
No. It will only just add distortion in the signal path, for how little, without any benefit. Not that you'll necessarily hear a difference for worse with those speakers. And also, given the 3 channel topology, there might (too lazy to think of it) be some problem with grounds.

Actually from my own experience a nice headphone amp in the signal path HUGELY benefits those PC speakers. The difference is so obvious that even a non-audiophile could easily pick it up. Not sure about the reason but it's definitely not placebo effect. I had been doing this only for convenience( too lazy to unplug the headphone amp), until one day my roommate asked me how come my crappy $50 PC speakers sounded so much better than his...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #386 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat
Actually from my own experience a nice headphone amp in the signal path HUGELY benefits those PC speakers. The difference is so obvious that even a non-audiophile could easily pick it up. Not sure about the reason but it's definitely not placebo effect. I had been doing this only for convenience( too lazy to unplug the headphone amp), until one day my roommate asked me how come my crappy $50 PC speakers sounded so much better than his...
very_evil_smiley.gif

My brother is using my ex PengAmp in between his DAP and a speaker amp, mostly because that particular speaker amp has a low input sensitivity. However, he's told me that the amp also makes the sound more dynamic, enough that he likes it better that way.
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought that a soundcard had a 'stronger' line out than a DAP's headphone out. Of course, it could just be that the amp introduces some coloration that happens to compensate some deficiency of the speakers.

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #387 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Of course, it could just be that the amp introduces some coloration that happens to compensate some deficiency of the speakers.

Or the crappy amplifying circuit of PC speakers not doing its job good enough,
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #388 of 536
Just ordered mine and will get an elpac PSU to go with it.

Just got some HD650 so I cant wait to hear it, then compair with my GoVibe 3 and HD600

r
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #389 of 536
hi all,
i'm looking for a power supply for the go-vibe at 230Vac. i've looked for the mascot 8613 that norm listed on the power supply page but so far haven't seen it in any sites except for http://www.yeoy.fi/
any suggestions for alternatives or am i looking for the wrong part number?
thanks

Sep 28, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #390 of 536
it's been 11 days from canada to california and no package yet
frown.gif

doesn't it normally get to california a bit faster than 11 days, shipped airmail? crap, starting to get a little worried since my package last week was stolen from the front porch. this whole week, though, there has been someone at home available to sign for the package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back