Go-Vibe 5: What!Mate?!
Sep 28, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #391 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigger
1. The good bipolar op-amps such as the LM6172/6171 are not realistic candidates for "rolling". They require a tight layout with careful attention to bypassing/DC offset etc.
Designing a headphone amp around a particular op-amp potentially maximises the potential of a particular chip IMO.

2. My decision to leave the amp business in early February this year was due in a large part to both my parents becomming seriously ill within a one week time period. Mom subsequently passed away in April and Dad is now confined to a nursing home.
Those of you who have lost a parent/parents will perhaps understand. Those of you who are fortunate to have your parents still around should be thankful for them on a daily basis.

I hear you there, Norm. My condolences and sympathies. Caring for ailing parents is no easier than losing them. Been there, done that, and hope I never have to do that again!

Sep 28, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #392 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme
it's been 11 days from canada to california and no package yet
frown.gif

doesn't it normally get to california a bit faster than 11 days, shipped airmail? crap, starting to get a little worried since my package last week was stolen from the front porch. this whole week, though, there has been someone at home available to sign for the package.

10th day nothing here either, I live in WA. So hopefully yours was not stolen. Does Norm ship DHL express?

Sep 29, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #393 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizmo90
10th day nothing here either, I live in WA. So hopefully yours was not stolen. Does Norm ship DHL express?

yeah, im on day 13 from order date now.. i don't think my package was stolen yet, since someone has always been home to receive the package. i guess maybe next week. i want my go-vibe
redface.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #394 of 536
Quote:

yeah, im on day 13 from order date now.. i don't think my package was stolen yet, since someone has always been home to receive the package. i guess maybe next week. i want my go-vibe
redface.gif

I'd just like to chime in with a couple of comments on shipping:

When pricing the Go-Vibe V5, I looked carefully at all possible shipping methods and settled on air mail as the most cost effective by a long shot.

True, the times to US destinations vary a lot, and this is due to US Customs methods of clearing the package. I ship from Canada in case you don't know.
When I quote shipping times on the website, they are in business days (not counting weekends or holidays)

I can ship by UPS standard, which may be a little more consistent at roughly 7 calendar days, but this would drive the price up to $96US.

The funny thing is, I have shipped hundreds of amps by air mail over the last year or so and only lost one US order, which of course was replaced. I have used UPS for less than 10 shipments and they managed to lose one of those!

Yes, there are FedEx, DHL and Purolator, but they are even more expensive.

If anyone has any potential solutions, I'm willing to listen.

Sep 29, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #395 of 536
Heck folks what's a week or so when you've got to deal with customs? Man, in this hobby, if you get something within 4 weeks of ordering, consider yourself lucky! I've had things promised in 3 weeks upon ordering go 2 months and more!!

At least he's shipped the items as promised. What happens once it leaves his hands is out of his control, no? Then again, if we want "fast", we have to expect to pay a higher price.

I can't speak for him and really don't know him but I'd bet that if you want to pony up the $$, he'd be willing to upgrade your shipping!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #397 of 536
My go-vibe v5 took about 2 weeks, which I thought was pretty standard for customers at that time. From my experience, air mail from from foreign countries typically falls within a range of 1 week (best case) to 4 weeks (worst case).

Still enjoying the amp Norm- thanks a lot!

Sep 29, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #399 of 536
I don't know about Canada-> US UPS shipping, but vice versa, UPS are the most horrid imbeciles I have ever dealt with as far as shipping companies go. I moved from FL to Halifax for grad school, and I had 4 boxes shipped to myself. Two of them arrived ok, one of them they decided to charge a brokerage fee, even though it was declared low value and only contained old books, and the last one got lost for a week before turning up as being stuck in customs in Quebec and had to pay brokerage for that as well. And on top of that, I had to send them a photocopy of my passport and my study permit... why is beyond me. I had half a mind to tell them to sod off and just keep the books which was all I had in that box. I had to spend almost the same amount in brokerage fees as I did shipping costs. Ater inquiring customer service as to the reason behind these inconsistencies, their reply was " I don't know, sir".
/rant off.. apologies for hijacking, but I just had to get that out
tongue.gif

But anyways yeah, USPS/Canadapost is the best bet when sending cross border in my experience.

Glad to see you're back as well norm. Loved the headsave classic I owned before. Noticed you have a low gain option for the GV5; very enticing as I've not been finding good synergies for my AT's with amps out there unless I move to the higher priced ones.

Sep 29, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #400 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigger
I'd just like to chime in with a couple of comments on shipping:

When pricing the Go-Vibe V5, I looked carefully at all possible shipping methods and settled on air mail as the most cost effective by a long shot.

True, the times to US destinations vary a lot, and this is due to US Customs methods of clearing the package. I ship from Canada in case you don't know.
When I quote shipping times on the website, they are in business days (not counting weekends or holidays)

I can ship by UPS standard, which may be a little more consistent at roughly 7 calendar days, but this would drive the price up to $96US.

The funny thing is, I have shipped hundreds of amps by air mail over the last year or so and only lost one US order, which of course was replaced. I have used UPS for less than 10 shipments and they managed to lose one of those!

Yes, there are FedEx, DHL and Purolator, but they are even more expensive.

If anyone has any potential solutions, I'm willing to listen.

thanks for response.. i didnt want to bother you so i just posted on this thread. i know it must be annoying having freaks who can't keep their pants on emailing you all the time.

anyways, im at 2 weeks almost now. im awaiting patiently (ok probably not). i need the go-vibe to save me from the crappy sound my sansa e270 is producing.

Sep 29, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #401 of 536
Quote:

thanks for response.. i didnt want to bother you so i just posted on this thread. i know it must be annoying having freaks who can't keep their pants on emailing you all the time.

anyways, im at 2 weeks almost now. im awaiting patiently (ok probably not). i need the go-vibe to save me from the crappy sound my sansa e270 is producing.

My girlfriend has an e250 and after toying with the custom equalizer option I was quite surprised with the sound quality that emanated from that player. The bass was tight and the mids and highs were quite well defined. Ok,sure it wasn't as clear and as "out in front" as my Zen Vision:M but hey for something that cost 160$ after taxes it doesn't do that badly at all.

I'd love to try it through my new Zero Audiocraft amp...
580smile.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #402 of 536
what are you using the sansa with? im using mine with e4cs, and there is a terrible muffle on the player (at least to my ears). ive had the player for 2 days now.. and i haven't used it much since im so turned off by the bad sound
mad.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #403 of 536
Placed order on the 19th and got it on the 25th.

R

Sep 30, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #405 of 536
Quote:

sheesh, that's fast. 6 days for canada to the UK.

i really hope my package is not lost/stolen
frown.gif

opps forgot to say that was shipped to Toronto, on holiday in Canada. SO it never left the country, I'm sure your will arrive soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back