Go-Vibe 5: What!Mate?!
Sep 8, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #361 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by TR909
Had the GV5 for a few days now and I can wholeheartedly echo all the positive observations put forth thus far. Compared to my old Headsave classic with OP627's the new go-vibe is cleaner, more articulate, and more open. Fed lossless files from itunes via my roomate's modded dac-ah and into my 650's, the soundstage is larger and more defined and there is no more haze or congestion with improved dynamics. I expected this as it's well known OP627's give the Senn's too much of a good thing resulting in a very warm, dark, syrupy presentation.

Actually most of the difference that you hear is the result of the use of an op-amp that's not totally at ease driving a headphone load directly (the OPA627) as opposed to a high current cable driver op-amp, that can drive headphones with far more ease (the LM6172).

Sep 8, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #362 of 536
Also, while I agree that the Go-Vibe v5 has wonderful midrange cleanliness for itself, I have to say I find it slightly hyper-realist at the cost of some of the vocals' natural rounded beauty.

Sep 8, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #363 of 536
just got my GV5...can you guys explain what the best burn-in method seems to be? thanks!

edit: for example, do my phones need to be plugged in for me to burn it in, or do i just need a source connected playing music at a medium volume continuously?

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #364 of 536
Also, I'm driving them with both a Panasonic PCD, model SL-CT570, and then out of my X-Fi soundcard...sounds better out of the X-Fi. Should this be the case? And, how can I further improve the sound from my computer to my phones?

Sep 8, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #365 of 536
Sorry...one more...the amp should make my Klipsch PC speakers sound better if I run the card to the amp, then to the speakers, right?

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #366 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbf1138
Sorry...one more...the amp should make my Klipsch PC speakers sound better if I run the card to the amp, then to the speakers, right?

No. It will only just add distortion in the signal path, for how little, without any benefit. Not that you'll necessarily hear a difference for worse with those speakers. And also, given the 3 channel topology, there might (too lazy to think of it) be some problem with grounds.

Sep 9, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #368 of 536
I wanted to give the Go-Vibe v5 a last chance to challenge my main amp (the modified Xenos, for those who didn't know
tongue.gif
).

Lucinda Williams, Sweet Old World

I switched to the Go-Vibe and initially liked it, due to that peculiar "guitars floating in the air" effect. After a while that certain, rather subtle, 'synthetic' characteristic became apparent. The tonality had turned dull. So the Xenos took back its place... And there was a little more of everything, from midrange quality (biggest change), to bass definition and fullness, to treble sparkle; but mostly, the whole soundscape had its full naturalness & intensity restored.

The Go-Vibe went back in the drawer.

P.S. I would recommend the (stock) Xenos 0HA-REP over the Go-Vibe to anyone who has musical tastes compatible with mine.

P.P.S. This LM6172 reminds me of the AD8397 (have I said I didn't like it?
tongue.gif
).

Sep 9, 2006 at 11:57 AM Post #369 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme
hm, too many posts in here..

can anyone comment on how the go vibe 5 sounds with e4cs?

Just so you are aware, the Go-Vibe V5 is now available in a "low gain" version at no extra cost for those very efficient headphones such as Audio Technica and Sony, and earbuds such as UE or Shure.

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #370 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigger
Just so you are aware, the Go-Vibe V5 is now available in a "low gain" version at no extra cost for those very efficient headphones such as Audio Technica and Sony, and earbuds such as UE or Shure.

you sir, are the devil
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #371 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by TR909
Had the GV5 for a few days now and I can wholeheartedly echo all the positive observations put forth thus far. Compared to my old Headsave classic with OP627's the new go-vibe is cleaner, more articulate, and more open. Fed lossless files from itunes via my roomate's modded dac-ah and into my 650's, the soundstage is larger and more defined and there is no more haze or congestion with improved dynamics. I expected this as it's well known OP627's give the Senn's too much of a good thing resulting in a very warm, dark, syrupy presentation.

Listening to The Walkmen's "The Rat" out of the Go-Vibe was a new and pleasant experience. I'm finally able to hear all the fine high speed cymbal and hi-hat work and the relentless pace and rhythm of the song comes through. PRAT in spades compared to the Classic.

Jeff Buckley's "Live at L'Olympia" disc showcases the amp's airiness. The interplay between Jeff and the raucous audience is great here and enhances the realism of the recording.

Lastly, do not think twice about purchasing the elpac power supply. The improvement is obvious. I also made a stab at using the little vibe as a preamp for my active monitors and it acquitted itself admirably considering it's primary function as a portable headphone amp.

WOW.. i cant wait to hear my Go vibe5.. ordered and is somewhere on the way... i owned the headsave classic with the same config too.... hmmm why mine Govibes takes to long...
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #372 of 536
In defense of the Go-Vibe, my Xenos is proving something really unique. (so I was thinking a moment ago while I listened to Sparklehorse, "It's A Wonderful Life")
600smile.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #373 of 536
Andrea, sorry man but you have more sequels than any movie I have ever seen.
I know that I am a new guy, with little expertise, but you are coming off like the energizer bunny........
By the way, I really like my Go Vibe V, it was worth the wait. ( U.S. Customs!)

End of the tale
tongue.gif
[/QUOTE]( from your August 30th post)

Sep 10, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #374 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by btbill
Andrea, sorry man but you have more sequels than any movie I have ever seen.
I know that I am a new guy, with little expertise, but you are coming off like the energizer bunny........
By the way, I really like my Go Vibe V, it was worth the wait. ( U.S. Customs!)

End of the tale
tongue.gif

No more sequels than Star Wars, or, Mission: impossible
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back