Glow Audio Amp One
Dec 8, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #316 of 361
I think the value of the new Glow One depends on the quality of the improved DAC circuit and your need for the speaker outs. If the DAC is properly implemented this time, we're talking about an integrated amp, headphone amp and DAC with a tube output stage. And it's still a bargain.

If they haven't fixed that DAC, it's still only 2/3s of the advertised product.

Tim

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #317 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After all is "said and done" you may end up being correct. However shouldn't we wait till the unit is compared side by side w/ the Decware/WooAudio/Ming-Da/Others before we kill the Glow? Just seems like we should wait before we crucify it.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the value of the new Glow One depends on the quality of the improved DAC circuit and your need for the speaker outs. If the DAC is properly implemented this time, we're talking about an integrated amp, headphone amp and DAC with a tube output stage. And it's still a bargain.

If they haven't fixed that DAC, it's still only 2/3s of the advertised product.

Tim

Actually, Tim's post validates Miguel's - I forgot the Glow had a DAC built in. Mea Culpa. I take back what I said - FOR NOW. If the DAC is of high quality, it's a good price.

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #318 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, Tim's post validates Miguel's - I forgot the Glow had a DAC built in. Mea Culpa. I take back what I said - FOR NOW. If the DAC is of high quality, it's a good price.

The DAC in the original was unusable, IMO. The headphone amp was terrific, though.

Tim

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #319 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC in the original was unusable, IMO. The headphone amp was terrific, though.

Tim

Right, I recall that, and so if they fix it, the price increase is probably justifiable. Otherwise, my comments will stand - I think it would be too expensive if the DAC is still bad.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #320 of 361
Quote:

Right, I recall that, and so if they fix it, the price increase is probably justifiable. Otherwise, my comments will stand - I think it would be too expensive if the DAC is still bad.

Perhaps. Are any of the other amps you mentioned integrateds? Even if you still needed a DAC with the glow, a 5 watt speaker amp comes with the 500 mw headphone amp, and while I didn't have the appropriate speakers to check it out, 6 Moons did, and deemed it the near-equal of tube integrateds at much more than the current price. I still think it might be an awfully good buy if you need its capabilities. As a straight headphone amp? Plenty of competition out there.

Tim

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #321 of 361
The real competition then would be the MingDa MC84-C. Nice as speaker amp, also EL84 power tubes but uses 12AX7/5751 driver tubes and a tube rectifier, is very attractively built, and is sold and serviced in the US by Pacific Valve right here in Chicago. I have really enjoyed mine. Even Ray Samuels commented that it sounded great driving my AKG K340's! It's $550, but does not have a DAC.

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #322 of 361
Quote:

The real competition then would be the MingDa MC84-C. Nice as speaker amp, also EL84 power tubes but uses 12AX7/5751 driver tubes and a tube rectifier, is very attractively built, and is sold and serviced in the US by Pacific Valve right here in Chicago. I have really enjoyed mine. Even Ray Samuels commented that it sounded great driving my AKG K340's! It's $550, but does not have a DAC.

Cool looking amp at a nice price. My Question is where is the tube rectifier? The specs don't list it either.

Glenn

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #323 of 361
The 6HU6 "Magic Eye" tube serves as a rectifier tube in this design.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #324 of 361
Quote:

The 6HU6 "Magic Eye" tube serves as a rectifier tube in this design.

So your talking about the Ming Da MC 84C07 with the wooden front panel, not the two chassis MC 84C with the metal front panel and gold knobs

Glenn

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #325 of 361
Right, sorry.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #326 of 361
Quote:

Right, sorry.

Not a problem. For a moment I thought I was in the twilight zone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #328 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by QS5151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the Glow One amp power a set of Beyer DT880's well. I am not interested in the DAC only as an amplifier. Don't want to order an amp from China.

Yes it does, it is made in China and imported into the USA by the distributor's website listed above.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #329 of 361
I know its made in China, isn't everything nowdays? I just want to use it stricktly as an amplifier with a different DAC. I don't want to order an amp from overseas because of the high price of shipping and the wait. This one just caught my eye.

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #330 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amp is packed and ready to be sent for an audition by tfarney and dw6928. However I can tell you that I have use Grado RS1, Sen PX100, Ultrasone PROline2500 and HFI-780 with no issues. I assume you checked and you do not have 1) bad tubes or 2) ground loop. Correct?

How did it match up with the RS1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back