Glow Audio Amp One
Jun 15, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #271 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading your posts about Sweet2 amp which I almost pull the trigger but didn't because you said the headphone feature wasn't as desirable.

Would this and this be the 2C51 and 6BQ5 that you mentioned respectively?

Actually, no and no
smily_headphones1.gif

Those Sylvanias are grey-plate 5670's, not black-plate 2C51's. I don;t currently see any black-plate Sylvanias on ebay. Those RCAs are 7189's, which are usable in 6BQ5 circuits, but are not 100% identical. But here are some RCAs like I have used to good effect: NOS quad RCA EL84 6BQ5 Tubes - eBay (item 140240113767 end time Jun-16-08 12:26:13 PDT)

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #272 of 361
Thanks, Skylab.

I saw the listings on ebay but couldn't find the one that said black-plated and I didn't know whether they didn't mention it because it isn't black-plated or because it's so obvious that they didn't feel the need to mention it. So I wanted to ask first before making any uneducated purchase. Thanks for clearing it out. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on a set of black-plated 2C51 tubes. As for the RCA tubes, do you mind explaining the differences between 7189 tubes and the suggested tubes? Sorry for being such a noob.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #274 of 361
Yes. HD600 seems to handle high frequencies better. Also, HD600 is a little more forward sounding than HD650 which makes it a better all arounder. I hope to do more comparison once I get the Glow amp.

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #275 of 361
Quote:

Thanks, Skylab.

I saw the listings on ebay but couldn't find the one that said black-plated and I didn't know whether they didn't mention it because it isn't black-plated or because it's so obvious that they didn't feel the need to mention it. So I wanted to ask first before making any uneducated purchase. Thanks for clearing it out. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on a set of black-plated 2C51 tubes. As for the RCA tubes, do you mind explaining the differences between 7189 tubes and the suggested tubes? Sorry for being such a noob.

The 7189 and the 6BQ5 are simply not the exact same tube. They are VERY close, and this is why people substitute the 7189 freely for the 6BQ5. But in one amp I have, 7189s all hum, so I need to stick with 6BQ5's.

7189:
Vh Ih VaMax Vg2Max PaMax Pg2Max
6.3 0.76 400 300 12 2.0

6BQ5:
Vh Ih VaMax Vg2Max PaMax Pg2Max
6.3 0.76 300 300 12 2

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #276 of 361
Thanks again Skylab. My Glow amp sounds fantastic with the grey plated Sylvania 6BQ5. Initially I was kinda disappointed at the stock Glow amp which really didn't sound any better than my corda move. I was going to return it for a full refund but I'm really having a second thought now.

For a quick comparison against my beloved corda move, I had used Stan Getz's Verve Jazz Master album for reference.

All I can say is, compared to corda move, Glow amp with Sylvania 6BQ5 sounded a lot wider and deeper. The stock tubes that came with the amp had about the same soundstage as my corda move and that's why I was really disappointed. But the new tubes provided that extra layer of air that it needed. It's sort of like you're in a bigger concert hall now but not distant sounding at all at the same time. I also like how the treble cleared up. It's more sparkling clean. Some passages of Astrud Gilberto's part sounded somewhat unnatural and processed on my HD600 with the move but now it's warm and lush as if she's whispering right next to my ear. Instrument separation has also improved. None of the double base, guitar, percussions and saxophone gets in a way with each other and they all sound loud and clear. Swapping the tubes brought a real significant sonic improvements on all ranges for sure.

I just ordered a pair of WE 396A pre-amp tubes to see how they'll fare against Sylvania 2C51s and the stock tubes. (I couldn't resist.
biggrin.gif
)

I guess, for now, Glow amp is a keeper.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #277 of 361
Ha! Excellent. I like the grey-plate Sylvania 6BQ5's a lot. Glad you do as well.

Recent production chinese tubes just are not very good sounding, generally. In an amp like the Glow, it'd be a real shame not to use vintage tubes in it to really see what it can do. Glad you did, Analogbox!

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #278 of 361
analogbox, curious if you have any longer-term impressions? Any other member try this (as amp or DAC/amp)? Been on the Audiomagus site a bunch lately because of the Aeolus magiDAC intro and keep seeing the Glow proudly displayed and thought of recommending to friend who's interested in the hobby.

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #279 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
analogbox, curious if you have any longer-term impressions? Any other member try this (as amp or DAC/amp)? Been on the Audiomagus site a bunch lately because of the Aeolus magiDAC intro and keep seeing the Glow proudly displayed and thought of recommending to friend who's interested in the hobby.

By the looks of your sig, you got the MagiDac. How is it? I'm very intrigued by the concept, because it sounds like it could produce a very transparent DAC with no nonsense in the analog output.

Tim

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #280 of 361
Quote:

I loaned my Glow Amp One to dw6928 who is currently listening to it. As I understand it Skylab is sending dw6928 a set of NOS tubes to try w/ the Glow Amp One. Next to use it will be tfarney!
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the looks of your sig, you got the MagiDac. How is it? I'm very intrigued by the concept, because it sounds like it could produce a very transparent DAC with no nonsense in the analog output.

Tim

I hope you will post your impressions once you have the amp.
cool.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #281 of 361
Quote:

My initial impression was somewhat disappointing as it didn't sound any better than my corda move. But the sound immediately improved right after I swapped out the Chinese tubes with a set of WE 396As and a set of Sylvania 6BQ5s. The sound is quite warm and lush through out the whole frequency range. I mainly use it with my modded HD600 and I'd say it's a killer combination. Soundstage is very deep and wide but it could be too much air to some.

DAC part of the amp was quite disappointing. I didn't buy Glow Amp for it's DAC use so this didn't bother me too much but if somebody's considering the Glow amp for it's versatility as DAC, I'd recommend getting a stand-alone DAC instead. That way, you'll be able to enjoy full potential of Glow amp which is fantastic.

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #282 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I loaned my Glow Amp One to dw6928 who is currently listening to it. As I understand it Skylab is sending dw6928 a set of NOS tubes to try w/ the Glow Amp One. Next to use it will be tfarney!
wink.gif

I hope you will post your impressions once you have the amp.
cool.gif

I will, I will! And I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Tim

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #283 of 361
Quote:

DAC part of the amp was quite disappointing. I didn't buy Glow Amp for it's DAC use so this didn't bother me too much but if somebody's considering the Glow amp for it's versatility as DAC, I'd recommend getting a stand-alone DAC instead. That way, you'll be able to enjoy full potential of Glow amp which is fantastic.

What did you find lacking in the DAC and what were you comparing it to?

Tim

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #284 of 361
I had my corda move which has a DAC as well. Comparing both was like night and day. Corda move's DAC is decent but I wouldn't call it the finest, however, DAC in Glow amp was no contender for even move's DAC. The sound was veiled and thin without any bass to be found. Again, I don't mind it too much because I think the Glow is worth the price even without the DAC but I wouldn't use it in any of my listening session for sure.

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #285 of 361
Quote:

I had my corda move which has a DAC as well. Comparing both was like night and day. Corda move's DAC is decent but I wouldn't call it the finest, however, DAC in Glow amp was no contender for even move's DAC. The sound was veiled and thin without any bass to be found. Again, I don't mind it too much because I think the Glow is worth the price even without the DAC but I wouldn't use it in any of my listening session for sure.

Interesting. I wouldn't even think a competent DAC could do all of that to a good amp. Makes me wonder if something is amiss.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back