Glow Audio Amp One
Jun 9, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #256 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey stlblues - I'm pretty sure I have a set of Chinese tubes that are what that amp uses (from my TMS Sweet 2) that are sitting in a box. I dislike the sound of cheap Chinese tubes immensely, and I have never used them. They are your free if you want them - just send me a PM.

When I got the Sweet 2 I immediately replaced the chinese tubes with Sylvania NOS tubes, before ever turning it on. Like the Glow amp, the Sweet2 uses EL84/6BQ5 power tubes and 5670/2c51 driver tubes, although the Sweet2 also uses a pair of 6X4 rectifier tubes.

VERY generous offer, Skylab. It is sincerely appreciated. A few days ago they offered to switch the entire amp, but I thought perhaps I could maybe cut down on the hassles, but they have yet to reply? Sending a set of tubes is easier than a different amp, isn't it? I have a few days left on the 30 day trial, so I'll wait to see what they say. Many thanks anyway.
wink.gif

I'll do a search, but care to tell me about the Sweet 2? It looks like it has potential.

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #257 of 361
There is a nice thread on the Sweet2. It's a nice little amp, although it's not completely silent as a headphone amp either - there is a little residual hum. Not enough to prevent it's enjoyment, though. Also not noticeable at all via speakers.

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #258 of 361
I find that all I have to do is fine-tune the noise in my components to match the frequency of the voices in my head, and everything cancels everything. Kind of like those headphones from Bose that make jet engine noise disappear leaving you with the unfettered disappointment of...well, Bose.

Tim

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #259 of 361
Maybe it's just the W1000's are not a good match for the Glow (although the 6 moons review mentioned nothing of the sort)? JonL once told me the W1000's would probably not be a good match for the Almarro a205a, so it would kind of make sense, I guess.

Perhaps I'll see if I can trade/sell the W1000's, but I'm sure it wouldn't happen fast enough to test anything new before my 30 day trial is up on the amp.

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #260 of 361
Did anybody try this amp with Senn cans? I just placed an order but I'm somewhat nervous since the amp is not really "established" by head-fiers. I'll probabaly only use it with headphones out but there isn't much detail abotu it. I've checked the 6moons but they don't really say much regarding quality of headphone out.

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #261 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anybody try this amp with Senn cans?

Good question. I'm looking at 600's/650's for this amp, too. Looking forward to your findings.

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #262 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by stlblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question. I'm looking at 600's/650's for this amp, too. Looking forward to your findings.

They are both relatively new to me and I'm relatively new to the headphone game. I've preferred my K701s so far. Nice, detailed highs; ok bass and tamer than the forward sound of the AKGs before the amp. I ordered some HD600 to try the higher-end Senn. sound. So far I greatly prefer the AKG on the Glow. So much so that after a short evening of listening I decided the Senns were going up for sale. A couple of posters recommend I wait till break-in and give them another shot.

I don't know if I'll give them that much time though. A little muffled and veiled and serious loss of detail compared to the AKGs. The AKGs aren't bright-just detailed.

That's my take-however novice it may be.

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #263 of 361
Great. I just sold my K701 to another head-fier to make funds for Glow one.
rolleyes.gif

c-record, have you tried rolling tubes on your Glow amp? It sounds like the stock tubes may not be the perfect match for Sennheiser cans.

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #265 of 361
I have not heard the glow one, but I can still pretty much guarantee that the stock Chinese tubes will not provide even close to the best sound that the amp is capable of.

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #266 of 361
Quote:

I have not heard the glow one, but I can still pretty much guarantee that the stock Chinese tubes will not provide even close to the best sound that the amp is capable of.

Give me some time here!
biggrin.gif

I think I'm on the slippery part of this slope.
confused.gif

Skylab, you're a big part of my buying/planning to add some amplifiers to my setups. Seriously, thanks for the excellent portable amp reviews which I am still sorting through. I think it will be a Meier 2Move.

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #267 of 361
No hurry! But a pair of vintage 5670's and 6BQ5's will really do wonders. JAN-GE 5670's are super-cheap, and sound way better than the chinese tubes that come with the glow (which I have heard before in other amps). And the chinese version of the 6BQ5 are especially awful. So when you get the urge, this will be a nice upgrade for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #268 of 361
Are there any tubes that you would like to recommend? The reason I'm getting a tube amp is because I like the option of being able to roll tubes. And I wanted to get some quality tubes along with the amp but I'm a total noob when it comes to tubes and I'm kinda lost.

Edit: ^ You beat me to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #269 of 361
Yeah, I like the Sylvania black plate 2C51s for driver tubes and the grey-plate Sylvania or RCA 6BQ5's (granted, this is in my TMS Sweet2).

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #270 of 361
Quote:

Yeah, I like the Sylvania black plate 2C51s for driver tubes and the grey-plate Sylvania or RCA 6BQ5's (granted, this is in my TMS Sweet2).

I remember reading your posts about Sweet2 amp which I almost pull the trigger but didn't because you said the headphone feature wasn't as desirable.

Would this and this be the 2C51 and 6BQ5 that you mentioned respectively?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back