Glow Audio Amp One
May 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #226 of 361
img0260bw9.jpg

May 29, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #227 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old School /img/forum/go_quote.gif
img0260bw9.jpg

Don't they make a lovely couple? Is that a Fostex driver I see in the background?

Tim

May 30, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #229 of 361
Quote:

Yep,
These are famous Horns (the horn shoppe) cherry stained, btw it has no problem driving these

Are those the 4.5" Fostex drivers? What is the efficiency rating of those speakers? I have been fighting an urge for single-driver full range systems for a couple of years now, my theory being that it's probably the only way I'll ever get the coherent, natural midrange of a good pair of cans out into the air of the room. It has come back on me like acid reflux lately, this time as a desire for a desktop, near-field system using Eric Alexander's 4.5" Fostex-based Tektons.

Tim

May 30, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #230 of 361
Tim,
these ones have Fostex FE126e drivers in them.
I went for tektons first, but than I heard Horns over friends house, and I was sold on the spot, so I canceled my order. If you get a chance listen to these, you will be amazed what these little beasts can do.
From manufactures site....... "
The Horn uses a single 4.5" full range driver (actual cone diameter is about 3.5 inches) and the pair are capable of 98-100db (peaks) in an average size room with a 3 watt ( or greater) amplifier.An easy 8 0hm load."

May 30, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #231 of 361
Quote:

Tim,
these ones have Fostex FE126e drivers in them.
I went for tektons first, but than I heard Horns over friends house, and I was sold on the spot, so I canceled my order. If you get a chance listen to these, you will be amazed what these little beasts can do.
From manufactures site....... "
The Horn uses a single 4.5" full range driver (actual cone diameter is about 3.5 inches) and the pair are capable of 98-100db (peaks) in an average size room with a 3 watt ( or greater) amplifier.An easy 8 0hm load."

I'm looking for something that would be used in a nearfield set-up, so the floor-standing horn shoppe speakers won't work for me. I'm resigned to the fact that I may at some point be looking for a sub to slip under the desk. The Horn Shoppe is in my backyard, but alas, they only make floor-standers.

How do you find them to handle complex material? How was the break-in time?

Tim

May 30, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #232 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are those the 4.5" Fostex drivers? What is the efficiency rating of those speakers? I have been fighting an urge for single-driver full range systems for a couple of years now, my theory being that it's probably the only way I'll ever get the coherent, natural midrange of a good pair of cans out into the air of the room. It has come back on me like acid reflux lately, this time as a desire for a desktop, near-field system using Eric Alexander's 4.5" Fostex-based Tektons.

Tim

I've had Eric make me a few pairs - currently have a fostex 4.5 in a custom Voight Pipe he made me - previously had them in some of his bass reflexes.

Really love his stuff, especially for the price.

He's made them both with two terminals - one with his BSC and one without so you could make your own out of really high quality caps/etc (which does make a huge difference with these) or so you could do your processing in the digital domain (say - optical out to a behringer to an optical in) which is the route I took.

Can't praise that sort of flexibility and customer service enough.

Plus he can do custom finishes like Ferrari red or yellow or Harley orange
smily_headphones1.gif

These are what he's made me:

Gallery47-big.jpg

Gallery51.jpg

May 30, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #233 of 361
Quote:

He's made them both with two terminals - one with his BSC and one without so you could make your own out of really high quality caps/etc (which does make a huge difference with these) or so you could do your processing in the digital domain (say - optical out to a behringer to an optical in) which is the route I took.

Please explain. That one went straight over my head. BSC? What kind of digital processing for a speaker?

Also, the smaller ones you pictured...are those the 4.5s? How do you find them? Decent mid bass? Enough dynamic range?

Tim

May 31, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #234 of 361
Old school, how do you like the combo of Glow amp and the Horn shoppe speakers ? I know they're very efficient but are they enough to get loud. It's kinda not easy to kind efficient speaker to match with Amp glow.

May 31, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #235 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by psc001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old school, how do you like the combo of Glow amp and the Horn shoppe speakers ? I know they're very efficient but are they enough to get loud. It's kinda not easy to kind efficient speaker to match with Amp glow.

My Altec 604E's get PLENTY loud, if you can deal w/ their size.

May 31, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #236 of 361
Old School and jrosenth,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I do want to get some feedback from some folks who are living with single driver speakers. I've almost pulled the trigger on Tektons twice, and chickened out both times, because of several internet variations on this description I found last night:

Quote:

Listening impressions and remarks

I have a love and hate relationship with these speakers. When playing an intimate jazz trio, a Beethoven string quartet or solo vocals you nearly fall off your chair with amazement. Such openness, neutrality and an amazing sound stage with immense depth and width. Every thing can be pin-pointed in the virtual soundscape, every little sound, the turning of a page of sheet music, the breathing of the instrumentalists, its all there. But as soon as it gets a bit heavy (large orchestral works or complex jazz-rock) everything gets muddled up.

I suppose what I need is elaboration. Or a listening experience.

This is for a near-field configuration, so a lot of volume won't be needed. I would, in fact, prefer speakers that will develop their full sound at moderate volume.

The first half of the description appeals to me because I listen to a lot of music that is pretty simple, straightforward and built largely around acoustic instruments and vocals -- 50s/60s jazz, Americana, country, folk... I don't listen to classical or metal or fusion, but if the addition of a few extra electric instruments, layering of background vocals, sweetening with a bit of strings -- the sort of thing that is very common in popular music -- is going to drive single-drivers into the mud, even at moderate volume just a few feet from my ears, then they're probably not for me.

I don't expect them to be all things. I don't need organ-pedal bass. I don't want airy, extended highs. I can always pop on the headphones when I want to listen to my Bruford-Wetton era King Crimson collection (in fact, my wife insists upon it). But if they can really only handle voices, acoustic instruments and a lightly-played drum kit, they're probably too limited for me.

How do they work with your basic mainstream, moderately complex rock/pop/country? Do they get muddy and congested at some point? Or is that just when pushing the volume on really complex tracks?

Tim

May 31, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #237 of 361
psc001, they can get loud , but these were designed to be played at moderate lever. I mostly listen to jazz and acoustic stuff, so this was more or less perfect match for me. I got them from my friend already broken in, so the sound the best these can do already. I was going to go with mini strata as well, but there is no way glow would be able to drive it.
I'm still trying to find an optimal placement, as horns should sound their best in the corners, but I found it that for me it is better to pull them about 12" or so from the walls. I'm not sure about the glow amp as of yet, since it is still going through its burn in time. I'm using it directly running from my imac, but like I said before, I'm not to impressed with it is dac on board, everything sounds way to bright for my taste so far.
When you are listening to Patricia Barber, her voice is overpowering everything else in the mix, it is spooky, it is just like she is hiding somewhere in the front of you and you can't see her, but bass and lower parts are almost non existent, everything is very bright and icy. I will get my benchmark dac1 on Monday, that I loaned to my friend and run everything through that into the glow, to see, if this will remedy situation.
Tim, also I believe horneshoppe iis making sub right now to match the horns, they call it Cube ( or something like that)

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #238 of 361
Old school I totally agree with you about the Dac of Glow one. Everything sounds very thin and without body. Indeed, a nice Dac such as Bench Dac 1 should make a huge difference. I just wish Glow one had a little more power and came without the Dac. It's kinda annoying when they include Dac, which is very dismal compared to the headphone amp and speaker amp, which are very very good.

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #240 of 361
OK, maybe you guys can help me ('cause Glow won't...I've sent 3 emails in the last 9 days w/ no replies
mad.gif
). My Glow has a loud hum out of the headphone jack w/ my ATH-W1000's (I can't hear it if I turn up the music loud enough, but during low passages or w/ the volume all the way down it is quite loud). Is there something I can do? The 6 moons review had the same cans and there was no mention of any hum, so is it this particular amp?. I don't want to return it. It sounds pretty darn good (stock tubes) w/ my 604E's & Apogee Mini-DAC (I don't use a laptop for listening, so I am not one to really judge, but I did expect more from the DAC). Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back