Glow Audio Amp One
May 7, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #211 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by psc001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the kind advice and in response to my complain, the Glow audio sent me this email: " We have recently been made aware that certain models of headphones (some GRADO models for instance) do not make a secure connection when pushed in all the way to the stop point. Other headphones don't have this issue. In addition to your recent message we have received several such complaints: two from GRADO owners, and Srajan Ebaen from 6moons.com had this problem with his headphones.

Fortunately there is a quick and easy solution. We will send you today several small rubber rings for your headphones that will provide a secure connection for headphone use. They are simple to put in place and will address the issue you have identified. Please place on the 1/4" headphone plugs for your headphones, which will provide you a secure connection for headphone use"
I guess I will wait until I get that rubber thing.

Odd that the probem would be brand-specific. I wouldn't expect there to be any physical differences between 1/4" plugs.

Tim

May 7, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #212 of 361
Quote:

Thank you for the kind advice and in response to my complain, the Glow audio sent me this email: " We have recently been made aware that certain models of headphones (some GRADO models for instance) do not make a secure connection when pushed in all the way to the stop point. Other headphones don't have this issue. In addition to your recent message we have received several such complaints: two from GRADO owners, and Srajan Ebaen from 6moons.com had this problem with his headphones.

Fortunately there is a quick and easy solution. We will send you today several small rubber rings for your headphones that will provide a secure connection for headphone use. They are simple to put in place and will address the issue you have identified. Please place on the 1/4" headphone plugs for your headphones, which will provide you a secure connection for headphone use"

Odd that the probem would be brand-specific. I wouldn't expect there to be any physical differences between 1/4" plugs.

Tim

May 7, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #213 of 361
as for speakers, I got a set of Tekton 4.5 speakers , Overall this is a good match for classical or jazz. With smaller room the Glow Audio can run them fine. It will only be when trying to push them to live music levels (mainly louder types of music like rock, acid jazz, r&b, etc...) that you might wish for a slightly more powerful amplifier than the Glow Audio. If the scenario is primarily for comfortable music levels then you are fine

May 8, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #214 of 361
Quote:

They sent me the exact same email, word for word. I had totally different problem though. I think the headphone jack in my amp is defective because I have plug my DT 880s with the Furutech logo facing away from me. Otherwise the sound is extremely muffled. With my Grados, it doesn't matter which orientation I plug in the 1/4 plug. I have to use my hand to put an inwards pressure on the plug for the sound not to be extremely muffled. Anyways, I got those rubber rings they sent me today and they didn't make any difference for either of my headhones. I'm waiting to see what Glow says about that.

May 9, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #216 of 361
Quote:

It's unfortunate but I think I might return the amp... The hum doesn't go away and it's getting frustrated.

If you just plug the amp to the wall and then turn it on w/ your headphones do you still hear hum as you rotate the volume pot up? If no then plug your source (whatever it is) and with the source on but not playing anything bring the volume of the amp up again. Do you hear the hum? If yes get a cheater plug and plug it to the end of the source plug and turn the plug 180 degrees out, is the hum gone. If yes you had a ground loop.

May 9, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #217 of 361
Funny that the Glow went to CanJam and we got no reports on it. I guess there were too many much flashier high-end goodies drawing folks' attention. I'd love to have some impression of it as a headphone amp, along with some comparisons of its built in DAC with other DACs...

Tim

May 10, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #218 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny that the Glow went to CanJam and we got no reports on it. I guess there were too many much flashier high-end goodies drawing folks' attention. I'd love to have some impression of it as a headphone amp, along with some comparisons of its built in DAC with other DACs...

Tim

Tim, I agree except I know a few did listen to it. Why they are not posting is up to them but be it good or bad it should be posted. At the end of the day it is an impression and we are all not going to agree on what is good or not so good.

I need to put the Glow back on the rack but we are doing remodeling here so it is still on the box since CanJam.

May 14, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #219 of 361
I took a little trip a couple weeks ago to a customer/buddies house in Arizona, he has some wonderful equipment and I was listening to a Modwright modified Transporter as the source going into a Glow amp along with the Audio-Technica W-1000 headphones I had brought along as I wanted my audio bud to hear what I think are the best cans on the market today for the money.Simply stunning in its portrayal of music was this combination. As of 90minutes ago when I ordered the Glow amp and then decided to read up what others were saying about this little amp as I had already made up my mind if it was for me or not. After the 22 pages read here
wink.gif
Thanks for all the time put in so others may benefit mrarroyo.
biggrin.gif

A couple of thoughts:
to psc001; what I believe is, you probably have a bad tube, one of them has gone noisy and is humming since the cheater plug did not work. Instead of sending your amp back I would ask for a set of replacement tubes first, if that doesn't cure the hum then send off for replacement or refund.

Tubes in any tube amplifier need time to dissipate their start up energy down, so please let this happen before cranking any tunes through your speakers or headphones.I know we had to put in a 30 second time delay upon startup into our Eastern Electric components just to assure that that the energy didn't get amplified and go thru your speakers and possibly cause any damage.

I can't wait for my Glow Amps arrival as this is a really terrific headphone amp to say the least.
I think I'll probably even try it on these speakers, I couldn't insert one photo as my file was to big to post but you can see the speakers here as they were being built a year ago by a customer whose wife said they were to big for his room. They now abide in my home.
biggrin.gif

Picasa Web Albums - Tom - stevewalls-3-07

Thanks,
Bill

May 14, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #220 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morningstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll probably even try it on these speakers, I couldn't insert one photo as my file was to big to post but you can see the speakers here as they were being built a year ago by a customer whose wife said they were to big for his room. They now abide in my home.
biggrin.gif

BEAUTIFUL speakers! I bet they will sound wonderful. Please fill us in on the sound of the Glow amp w/ the speakers and the W-1000's.

May 14, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #221 of 361
Nice speakers, but I, too, have a wife. Any chance you have some more demanding phones at home to try the Glow on? Senss or AKGs perhaps? The Audio Technicas are very efficient aren't they?

Tim

May 15, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #222 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice speakers, but I, too, have a wife. Any chance you have some more demanding phones at home to try the Glow on? Senss or AKGs perhaps? The Audio Technicas are very efficient aren't they?

Tim

Tim, the K501 is a very power hungry can and the Glow has no problem driving them.

May 21, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #224 of 361
Mine just arrived today,it has only been playing for 2 hours .
I did however pick up some roundplate GE EL84's along with the LM Ericsson 2C51's . Will pick up some WE 396A/2C51's in the near future though also.

Until the amp is well burned in I will hold off comment but I can tell after just 2 hours that it is a mighty fine amp for my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back