Glow Audio Amp One
May 3, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #197 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by psc001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't Acoustech HT-64 better than HT-63? HT-63 looks like surround speakers just looking at them although the price seems to be very good.

Do not know, hope someone here has more information. Thanks.

May 4, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #199 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any of you temporary Floridians get a chance to listen to this one today?

Tim

Tim, a few have. Hope they chime in! Let see: HiFlight, DaveDerek, etc.

May 5, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #201 of 361
Quote:

Hey mrarroyo - How do you think the Glow compares to your X-Can?

Tim

More alike than anything else, when both used as an amp. Please remember that my V2 has every PinkFloyd mod, plus Russian tubes, and it also sports a Little Pinkie PSU.

May 5, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #202 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More alike than anything else, when both used as an amp. Please remember that my V2 has every PinkFloyd mod, plus Russian tubes, and it also sports a Little Pinkie PSU.

Thanks, Miguel. I appreciate the quick feedback. Though the business about your little pinkie was a bit personal and, frankly, more information than I required.

smily_headphones1.gif

Never let it be said I passed up a chance at a cheap laugh. I'm not familiar with those mods, however.

By "When both used as an amp" I assume you mean a headphone amp. The X-Cans don't have speaker terminals do they?

So they sound pretty similar? Interesting. Does your V3 have a SS power stage like the newer X-Cans? If so, I would assume that means the Glow is pretty tight and clean, and not all that "tubey." Fair assumption?

Tim

May 5, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #203 of 361
Quote:

How much did your V2 cost with all the mods and jazz?

May 5, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #204 of 361
Quote:

...So they sound pretty similar? Interesting. Does your V3 have a SS power stage like the newer X-Cans? If so, I would assume that means the Glow is pretty tight and clean, and not all that "tubey." Fair assumption?

Tim

Similar is correct but there is a lot of difference. I mean the Glow is a bit tubier sounding than the V2. It should be since the V2 is a hybrid with a SS output stage. On the other hand the V2 is a bit faster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much did your V2 cost with all the mods and jazz?

Lets see:

1. You can buy an used V2 from $140 to $190, with $150 being fair. All prices including S&H

2. The Little Pinkie is like $150 for the single output (2.5 amps) or $170 for the dual output unit (1.25 amps each). If you have an X-10D as well as a X-Can V2 then the dual unit will power both well. Remember the original wall wart provided by Musical Fidelity only puts out 0.5 amps.

If you want to save some money (specially with the low dollar) you can go to Jameco and get Jameco P/N 167151 which is a 1.5 amp wall wart for well under $15 w/ S&H. See: Jameco Electronics Power Supplies & Wall Adapters: JAMECO RELIAPRO: ADU120150E1012

3. There are two kits available now, the original for about $100 and the budget for about $70. According to Mike the budget kit is tubier sounding. I am thinking of getting a second V2 to mod with the budget kit and see if it does sound tubier.
wink.gif

4. Alps 50K pot at about $15

5. Jalco jack at about $10

6. Heat sinks for about $5

So depending on which route you could be out from about $275 to a max of $475. However IMO by combinig the purchases at a single time you should be able to do it for $250 or $425 respectively.

Of course you could buy the parts locally and save a lot of money since parts in GB are very expensive and you avoid the international shipment.

May 5, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #205 of 361
Quote:

Lets see:

1. You can buy an used V2 from $140 to $190, with $150 being fair. All prices including S&H

2. The Little Pinkie is like $150 for the single output (2.5 amps) or $170 for the dual output unit (1.25 amps each). If you have an X-10D as well as a X-Can V2 then the dual unit will power both well. Remember the original wall wart provided by Musical Fidelity only puts out 0.5 amps.

If you want to save some money (specially with the low dollar) you can go to Jameco and get Jameco P/N 167151 which is a 1.5 amp wall wart for well under $15 w/ S&H. See: Jameco Electronics Power Supplies & Wall Adapters: JAMECO RELIAPRO: ADU120150E1012

3. There are two kits available now, the original for about $100 and the budget for about $70. According to Mike the budget kit is tubier sounding. I am thinking of getting a second V2 to mod with the budget kit and see if it does sound tubier.
wink.gif

4. Alps 50K pot at about $15

5. Jalco jack at about $10

6. Heat sinks for about $5

So depending on which route you could be out from about $275 to a max of $475. However IMO by combinig the purchases at a single time you should be able to do it for $250 or $425 respectively.

Of course you could buy the parts locally and save a lot of money since parts in GB are very expensive and you avoid the international shipment.

Alright I got it.

Btw, what are good EL 84 tubes to replace the stock ones in the Glow Amp? Are the Electro Harmonix good? What about Mullard?

May 5, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #206 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright I got it.

Btw, what are good EL 84 tubes to replace the stock ones in the Glow Amp? Are the Electro Harmonix good? What about Mullard?

Remember that with the Glow Amp you get an speaker amp as well as an USB DAC. I used a pair of Siemens EL84 and a pair of NOS GE GL5670.

May 5, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #207 of 361
Quote:

Similar is correct but there is a lot of difference. I mean the Glow is a bit tubier sounding than the V2. It should be since the V2 is a hybrid with a SS output stage. On the other hand the V2 is a bit faster.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Tim

May 6, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #208 of 361
Did anybody have a hum with the Glow One during the breaking period ? I just clocked about 30-35 hrs and I definitely hear a distinct hum through the headphone that I didn't hear before. The speaker amp are OK and in fact they're great! And I just bought a pair of Acoustech speakers that have high sensitivity. Should I be concerned about it or would it go away with more burning time?

May 7, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #209 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by psc001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anybody have a hum with the Glow One during the breaking period ? I just clocked about 30-35 hrs and I definitely hear a distinct hum through the headphone that I didn't hear before. The speaker amp are OK and in fact they're great! And I just bought a pair of Acoustech speakers that have high sensitivity. Should I be concerned about it or would it go away with more burning time?

Hum is a funny thing to track down. If it has not gone away by 200 hours of burn in I would first disconnect everything from the glow and w/ no music playing put on your headphones and listen to the amp as you increase the volume you should not hear any noise/hum at least through 3:00pm or so. Then I would start connecting stuff like starting w/ the source and I would repeat (source on but not playing). If/when hum starts you will know what has added the noise because it would be the last item you connected. When that happens get a cheater plug to reverse the polarity on the last item connected to the amp.

May 7, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #210 of 361
Thank you for the kind advice and in response to my complain, the Glow audio sent me this email: " We have recently been made aware that certain models of headphones (some GRADO models for instance) do not make a secure connection when pushed in all the way to the stop point. Other headphones don't have this issue. In addition to your recent message we have received several such complaints: two from GRADO owners, and Srajan Ebaen from 6moons.com had this problem with his headphones.

Fortunately there is a quick and easy solution. We will send you today several small rubber rings for your headphones that will provide a secure connection for headphone use. They are simple to put in place and will address the issue you have identified. Please place on the 1/4" headphone plugs for your headphones, which will provide you a secure connection for headphone use"
I guess I will wait until I get that rubber thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back