Glow Audio Amp One
Apr 19, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #166 of 361
Guys, I have not forgotten about feeding a signal to the Glow Amp One via USB. But I am still having problems securing the hardware I need for my laptop.
frown.gif

Right now the Glow Amp One has about 150 hours of burn in and it has opened up beautifully. The sound has more weight and depth with the biggest improvement in the mids. They have a new found sweetness and no roughness that I can find. FWIW it remains a warm amp but I do like that.
biggrin.gif

All this observations are w/ the stock tubes, which are performing very nicely. By Tuesday the amp will have over 200 hours of burn in and I plan on installing a pair of NOS Siemens EL84's I got from Skylab (Thanks Rob) and a pair of NOS GE GL5670's. Will let them settle for 12 hours of use and then I will report on the sound changes if any.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #167 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All this observations are w/ the stock tubes, which are performing very nicely. By Tuesday the amp will have over 200 hours of burn in and I plan on installing a pair of NOS Siemens EL84's I got from Skylab (Thanks Rob) and a pair of NOS GE GL5670's. Will let them settle for 12 hours of use and then I will report on the sound changes if any.
wink.gif

I was wondering if Srajan was getting his results from the stock tubes or not. I'm anxious to see your results w/ the NOS's.

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #168 of 361
Question: When replacing the driver tubes in the Glow Amp, what is the difference between NOS GL5670's and NOS 5670W'S? I noticed that the 5670w's are shorter than the original, and are supposed to be Mil-spec (they are marked as Sylvania).
I also have purchased some GE NOS 5670's that are also shorter than the original driver tubes.
I'm a beginner with tube amps so would appreciate one of you Head-Fi sages to hold forth for the rest of us students...

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #169 of 361
There are no operating differences.

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #170 of 361
DAC update = No update.
frown.gif

I spent the better part of two days working on my old laptop to make it talk w/ the USB DAC and was not able too. I even tried my iBasso D2 but it would not be recognized. I even downloaded over 85 upgrades for Windows 2000, but the problem seems to be w/ the driver for the Dual USB 2.0 ports in the PCMCIA card not being properly recognized.
confused.gif
I am even thinking on buying a laptop.
eek.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #171 of 361
I had no trouble connecting using WinXP with Service Pack 2 installed. If you have an old Win2000 machine, I think that you have the answer...time to upgrade. By the way, the DAC sounds absolutely beautiful using my AIFF files I have on Itunes. I can't tell any difference between the DAC and the RCA inputs from a good CD source.
I am delighted with the Glow. What I would like to see is a head-to-head against the Woo amps or the DarkVoice amps of equivalent price. That would be instructive, I believe. Thanks for your efforts in evaluating the Glow, by the way.

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #172 of 361
My Glow Amp One has about 210 hours of burn in. Listening to the stock tubes with either my K501 or the K701 (both with a V3 APureSound re-cable) it sounds lovely. With very good punch, detail, and clariy. Although IMO it is the mids that make this unit so rewarding. The mids are very smooth, rounded, dare I say "romantic".

I am really looking forward to others listening to my Glow at CanJam.
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #175 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. By the way, the DAC sounds absolutely beautiful using my AIFF files I have on Itunes. I can't tell any difference between the DAC and the RCA inputs from a good CD source.

Really? How are the lows? I'm really beginning to wonder if maybe there is an issue with my DAC...maybe there is a flaw somewhere...something not connected properly...(as much as I don't want to send my amp back, I hope this is the case if it means the DAC will perform better than it does for me right now...)

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #177 of 361
I just placed an order yesterday too!!! Ahh, too many choices but I hope this amp is worth it and some more!!! BYW, Old School that pic looks like a scene from the movie Old Boy...

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #178 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am delighted with the Glow. What I would like to see is a head-to-head against the Woo amps or the DarkVoice amps of equivalent price. That would be instructive, I believe. Thanks for your efforts in evaluating the Glow, by the way.

x2 - I am out of the tube amp game while my wallet is licking its wounds, but will return when it's healed, so please do run such comparisons, anyone who can. Especially interested in reviews with Grado cans, of course.

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #180 of 361
Yes. The Russian driver tubes in this amp (6N3P) are equivalent to the 5670/2C51/396A. I recommend strongly to anyone getting one to pick up some JAN 5670's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back