Glow Audio Amp One
Apr 14, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #151 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still think this notion that Senns can't be driven properly without a home amp is a bit overstated, but I truly understand what they're talking about now. I can't wait to get around the Mac's soundcard and through a Duet. I think that's probably going to sound great, though I hope it doesn't take much away from the smooth, warm character I'm getting now, because I really like it. More detail, more depth would be great, but I don't want to lose this basic character; it's very easy to listen to. Jeez, the Senns just love all this power...

Boomana, I'm sorry I ever doubted you. Maybe some day I'll even pop for a Woo or a HeadAmp. But first up, Duet.

Tim

You're probably right that the differences are a bit overstated, but listen to your current set up for a few weeks and then try going back and see how your perspective might have shifted. In the meantime, enjoy!
redface.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #152 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're probably right that the differences are a bit overstated, but listen to your current set up for a few weeks and then try going back and see how your perspective might have shifted. In the meantime, enjoy!
redface.gif

You see, I was hoping that by burying that comment over here in the Glow thread, you might miss it and I might avoid this humble pie sandwich I'm currently eating. Yeah, overstated. But a few have understated it as well; myself included. Is the difference between this and my little Airhead subtle? Maybe. It's not like a huge veil was lifted and I suddenly have a whole new pair of headphones, but the sense of power, particularly in the bass, is palpable. And I now understand what people mean by "effortless." I can't wait to get a good DAC in line and hear what that will do. Am I done then? Maybe. It sounds really good right now. If the Duet adds detail and opens things up a bit, I'll be very happy. The other side is, if anything is going to convince me to try an expensive, dedicated headphone amp, this is it.

There is one problem, though. I'm not sure how much of a resistor is standing between the two 45 watt mono amps in this old HK and the headphone jack, because the volume knob has maybe 1/2 inch of movement between silence and hearing damage. To turn it down just a bit, I have to lean over and breathe on the thing. Lightly.

Oh yeah, and I sort of miss crossfeed. I didn't use it much. Didn't like it most of the time. But on songs particularly older stuff, with really radical panning, it was nice.

Tim

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #154 of 361
Quote:

If you're thinking it looks a lot like the Glow, read this, from page 2 of this thread:

Quote:

Hi All: I am Patrick with GLOW AUDIO. One of you contacted me with some questions so I thought I'd answer here s well. First, we use the C-Media CM-102S 16 bit DAC mainly because it is tried and true, it is consistently reliable and it sounds excellent.

As for the Jasmine amp (or for that matter the TMS or Timester amps), yes there is an external similarity, but I assure you the GLOW amp is a completely differnt animal. GLOW searched all over China for someone who could make an affordable SE amp with the featrures we want... including poiont-to-point wiring and hand wound transformers. We spoke to Kenny Wu, maker of the TMS and Jasmine amps, because we liked those little amps. He agreed to make significant changes, and we even entered into an initial agreement with Kenny. But he had a falling out with his investor partner, who took control of the company, and we walked away because we had no confidence in the new management.

We retained another company to make the amps to our specs. But, we retained the basic footprint of the old Jasmine amp. I assure you, they are completely differnt inside. Consider this.. the GLOW Amp One is almost 50% heavier than the TMS or Jasmine, due to the hand made transformers and beefier components. Also, we don't use printed circuit boards.

These are very different amplifiers. By the way, I remain friends with Kenny Wu. He has gone on to design amplifiers for Tecon.

I'll try to attach an image of the point-to-point wiring, and you can see from that the quality of our product.

If any of you have any questions for us, contace me at info@glow-audio.com
Thnaks.

This doesn't even look like a re-badged Jasmine, just another tube amp with a built-in DAC in a similar form factor. Of course that form factor is also pretty similar to amps from Woo, Darkvoice, Little Dot and more...

Tim

Apr 15, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #155 of 361
As stated above the Glow Amp one uses the C-Media 16 bit DAC, model no. CM102S. You can read more about it at: http://datasheet.digchip.com/574/574...M102A-102S.pdf

Anyways back to the sound out of the amp section of the Glow Amp One now with almost 90 hour of burn in and w/ the stock tubes. Sometimes it amazes me how much change 24 hours of burn in can bring about. Of course there are ups and downs in the process and untill I have logged about 50 hours of burn in w/ no change I can hear then I will stop the burn in process. In my experience it means at least 200 hours of burn in which the Glow Amp One should reach by next Monday, April 21th.

Anyways right now I can hear a depth in the music that I could no hear 24 hours ago. The bass continues to thicken and go deeper while the presentation has sweetened significantly. Yes this is a warm amp which can be listened to for many hours w/o fatigue. I hope that the remaining 110 hour of burn in continue to improve upon what I am hearing at the moment.

I hope next weekend to commence the burn in of the USB DAC, and by Saturday, 4/26 to do a test with the NOS tubes.
cool.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #156 of 361
Well, that's the juice part, or at least for me who's interested in the Dac as much as in the amp. I know it might sound cliche but PC music with MP3 is so much more convenient and I think it could be very, very good. Thanx again and I look foward to hearing the DAC review. Btw, if you had to choose btw the Glow amp vs Oct-one, which one would you choose ?

Apr 15, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #157 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyways right now I can hear a depth in the music that I could no hear 24 hours ago. The bass continues to thicken and go deeper while the presentation has sweetened significantly. Yes this is a warm amp which can be listened to for many hours w/o fatigue. I hope that the remaining 110 hour of burn in continue to improve upon what I am hearing at the moment.

Good stuff! What headphones are you using? Thanks....

Apr 16, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #158 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by stlblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good stuff! What headphones are you using? Thanks....

Beyer 03 DT880 and RS-1. However today I got back my APureSound V3 re-cabled K701 and HFI-780, which I plan to burn in for 120 hours as per Alex's recomendation. Will post some observation by Saturday w/ these cans.

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #159 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by psc001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that's the juice part, or at least for me who's interested in the Dac as much as in the amp. I know it might sound cliche but PC music with MP3 is so much more convenient and I think it could be very, very good.

May I recommend a lossless format rather than MP3? When you upgrade your gear, you're bound to hear the difference. For my own part, FLAC is the favourite.

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #161 of 361
Guys so far I really like this amp, however I wish those who plan to buy one could test it before doing so. Do not misunderstand me, lately I am saying the same on just about every piece of gear, specially if it costs over $300.

Perhaps you can listen to this or other amps at a meet, thus you do not go blind into the purchase. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you and the reverse is also true.
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #162 of 361
From what I've read on this thread it seems that the Glow Amp is pretty good when it's connected to a source via RCA. However, when connected to a computer via usb it's somewhat lacking due to the DAC being mediocre, is this correct?

Mrarroyo, how would you rate the Glow Amp compared to its competitors like the MK IVSE or DV332 as a headphone amp?

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #163 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read on this thread it seems that the Glow Amp is pretty good when it's connected to a source via RCA. However, when connected to a computer via usb it's somewhat lacking due to the DAC being mediocre, is this correct?

Well, that's my take on it as of right now. I don't think anyone else has really utilized the DAC very much so far.

I want to give it another chance...I really like this amp. It has a 30 day return policy, but I really don't want to return it. On the other hand, I do want to take advantage of a DAC. So the question for me...is the style, the tubes, the sound through RCA worth the price even with the somewhat "lacking" DAC (which was a big seller for me)?

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #164 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...how would you rate the Glow Amp compared to its competitors like the MK IVSE or DV332 as a headphone amp?

The only tube amps like those were the Little Dot Micro Tube and the DV336 and it was a long time ago so I will not venture a guess (memory is not what it used to be). I might be able to borrow a Little Dot Micro Tube to compare them if it would help but it is a hybrid w/ a SS output stage.
confused.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #165 of 361
Just to say I got mine sent over from US (white) and connected to Eastern MiniMax source and Burson Audio Buffer to Tannoy DC-1 bookshelf speakers.

I was concerned that perhaps the GLOW couldn't power the Tannoys sufficiently (87db sensitivity) but no worries there. I have one at each corner of the foot of my bed, and am enjoying wonderful envelopping and deep stereo image.

IN addition, I remember reading that the Burson buffer boosts the signal about 3-6db, so that would certainly help.

love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back