Glow Audio Amp One
Mar 21, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #31 of 361
What were they thinking with the constantly colour-shifting light around the knob? That *really* puts me off the amp. It would be nice if any of the following was true:

1. you could disable the illumination (easily/without modding)
2. it was a single colour
3. if you could select a colour (some multi-colour devices let you do that)

The constant rainbow effect makes it seem cheesy.
<shrug>

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #32 of 361
Just a quick me-too:

The major question on this site is how well it works as a head-amp, isn't it? The 6moons review covered its value as a speaker-amp and head-amp. If there was no speaker output, but only the headphone jack, how would it be rated? I ask for the obvious reason that I am in the market for something of the kind.

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #33 of 361
I think the cycling light is kind of cool, but I want to see a thorough review of it as a headphone amp, up against Senn/AKG type loads. I'd also want to see a through evaluation of it with a computer as the source, so we get an idea of the performance of the DAC.

Tim

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #34 of 361
Mar 28, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #36 of 361
Will probably take a while.
frown.gif
To me, it was Glow and Apogee Duet that were the most appealing choices when I considered a DAC+amp, but now it seems I'll go with the duet for the first round. But there will be a next round in a year or 2-3, and if the Glow has gotten good reviews, I will return to it - or to the Glow Amp 2, maybe.

Mar 28, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #37 of 361
I took delivery two days ago and I can't say enough about it. I have the least experience of probably everyone on the forum, but my ears tell me the truth. I put on, 30 seconds after out of the box power on, my Ipod (Line out thru
the charging station stand) with Mahler's 1st (very quiet passage) from the Chailly/Concergebouw complete symphonies set. The clarity, detail, and quality is unbelievable. I hear the sound of the resined bass bow on the gut strings (a sound only musicians know to listen for) the acoustic air in the Concertgebouw itself, a noisy key on the clarinet on a certain note, low level parts I have not heard before, like a super quiet bass drum note in the first few minutes of the movement...shall I go on? ...simply awesome compared to what I have listened to in the past (Headroom Cosmic, 1996 version). My Etymotic ER4's, Sennheiser HD-600's, and AKG 701's all sound magnificent.
For $488 plus $15 shipping? You've got to be kidding, A word beating contender for budget component of the Year, if Stereophile Magazine is paying attention....

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #38 of 361
So I decided to click into this thread on a whim...I looked at one picture of the amp of topic, and two words flew out of my mouth:

"Holy...crap."

That looks super nice, but of course I also wonder if it sounds as good as it looks, and if it is aiming to compete with the WA6.
cool.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #39 of 361
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took delivery two days ago and I can't say enough about it. I have the least experience of probably everyone on the forum, but my ears tell me the truth. I put on, 30 seconds after out of the box power on, my Ipod (Line out thru
the charging station stand) with Mahler's 1st (very quiet passage) from the Chailly/Concergebouw complete symphonies set. The clarity, detail, and quality is unbelievable. I hear the sound of the resined bass bow on the gut strings (a sound only musicians know to listen for) the acoustic air in the Concertgebouw itself, a noisy key on the clarinet on a certain note, low level parts I have not heard before, like a super quiet bass drum note in the first few minutes of the movement...shall I go on? ...simply awesome compared to what I have listened to in the past (Headroom Cosmic, 1996 version). My Etymotic ER4's, Sennheiser HD-600's, and AKG 701's all sound magnificent.
For $488 plus $15 shipping? You've got to be kidding, A word beating contender for budget component of the Year, if Stereophile Magazine is paying attention....

I'd love to hear if your impressions are as positive feeding it a computer source through USB and the Amp One's DAC. Do you have that capability?

Tim

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #41 of 361
Pianoman, that's nice to hear! Now pick up some vintage USA 6BQ5's and 5670's, and then report back - should be even better then!

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #42 of 361
Or better yet, Pianoman: Loan yours to Skylab; he's the most impressive amp tester I've read here this far, and that says a lot.

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #43 of 361
Well, seems like most around here are on a really tight budget. People complaining about a $488 tube amp being expensive? Well, if you only like 'crap' audio, I guess it is.

C'mon guys, you get what you pay for, you know that. This amp with all it's features seems like a steal to me. Since my Canuck $ is so strong right now, I have to look at all things audio now while I can. @ $488, this looks like a very nice solution to a tube amp that I would normally pay $1200 for up here (bigger chasis though).

But for now, I am getting the Little Dot MKIV SE as I was strictly looking for a headphone only amp. If I really like the 'tube' sound (as this is my first foray into tubes) I would then be looking for an amp for my 2 channel music listening, and this amp would be top of the list. I would then of course (if I get it - would be pearl too) post my review of it in how it compares to the LD for cans, and how it sounds with my system. I'll even try it (if I get it) using my LD as the preamp to the Glow to see how that combo would sound.

But to me, this Glow looks like the real deal, and IMO is very cheap (price wise) considering how it is made.

Pianoman, thanks for being 'brave' enough (< $500, my can's cost more than that, and I've paid speeding tickets more than that) I don't think you can go wrong at all. And if you don't like it, return it (you have 30 days). What, $30 total, that's a dinner at McDonalds for four. What's the beef on the price ?

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #44 of 361
Kpt Krunch -- It is a really good buy if you need the DAC and the speaker terminals. If not, Darkvoice and Little Dot give it a $ for $ run for its money. Lots of high-quality Chinese stuff coming on to the market these days.

Tim

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #45 of 361
It seems the Glow beats those two contenders by looks, at least, and it seems well built, too. But how much extra are you paying for the extras to have this unit have speaker terminals (and a DAC)? How much would a pure Glow head-amp have cost?

And the critical question anyway: How does it perform as a head-amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back