Glasses and full-size cans??
May 6, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #31 of 47

Quote:
Can someone explain this mystery... What is the problem wearing the scalms above the headphones ear pads? Then there is no difference at all if you have glasses or not???

Try wear them above huge ear pads like K701 or HD600. Wearing your glasses like that will till the lenses forward, which would worsen your eyes in the long-run like Jackyll said. 

Quote:
Why would anyone choose to sacrifice comfort just to wear glasses normally?

Because we all don't listen seriously all the time. I wear headphones to listen to classical and meditating music while I'm working. Help me to concentrate better

I figure phones that have clamping design will defo hurt. Just sold my V6 simply because of its clamping force. My MS1000, and AKGs stay on my head fine with glasses on. So switching phones in IMO is one of the best solution up until now. 

May 6, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #32 of 47
This is one of the reasons I love my contacts as much as I do. I have not found a pair of headphones yet that I would consider comfortable with glasses. The closest I have found was my old Alessandro MS1's due to the low pressure and clamping they had. IEM's, as I'm sure others have mentioned are perfect for glasses. Even over the ear I have no issues with my MTPC's.

May 6, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #34 of 47
No problem combining glasses with headphones here either.
With glasses on I still can listen for hours without any discomfort at all - regardless which of my headphones I use.

May 6, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #35 of 47
ear speakers are cheats in this case though :wink:

May 6, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #36 of 47
Velour earpads and not too much pressure works best for me with my eye glasses.

May 6, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #37 of 47
I just usually steer clear of 'phones with a lot of clamp or just use Yuins.  My Audio Technica A700s and ESW9s have never posed a problem.  I don't think I'd like the clamp regardless of my glasses though...just personal preference.  That and I have a big noggin.

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #38 of 47
Observation: pads on full-size cans are in contact with the legs of the spectacles frames.

Theory 1: round pads are less likely to be in contact with the legs of spectacles and therefore less likely to cause the discomfort (A700s and ESW9s both have round pads right?)
Theory 2: the clamping force of the headband of your cans pushes the pads against the legs of the spectacles, which sit of course on your ears, and consequently cause the discomfort (looser headbands are therefore more comfortable for us wretched spectacles wearers)
Theory 3: velour pads rather than pleather/leather pads with lots of foam wrapped in are gentler on the legs of the spectacles and are therefore more confortable for the wearers (analogy is down/feather pillows vs. hollowfibre pillows)

Evidence from experiments are called for...

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #39 of 47
No problem with glasses for 701, RS1 or DX1000.

However, T1 does make squeaking noise when you turn you head due to the fraction between the pad and the arms of the glasses.

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #40 of 47

Quote:

However, T1 does make squeaking noise when you turn you head due to the fraction between the pad and the arms of the glasses.

Absolutely. I find that true with 99.9999% of the can's I've ever had. Even the velours have their own 'kind' of squeek.
wink_face.gif

I have noticed a slight difference with the change of Temple Piece material or shape. Flatter plastic is the worst, whereas thin, metal and round are the most quiet.

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #41 of 47
It's funny how this thread got revived again. I sold my V6, now I'm sticking with K701 and HD650. Anything with clamp is out of the question. 

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #42 of 47
I'm not very used to wearing cans, but I've been through a few now: Audio-Technicia ATH-M50, Grado SR80i, and Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X.

I have a problem with the Grados clamping too hard on my ears, so it squishes the glasses between my ear and my head, which makes it hurt after a while. I end up just taking my glasses off and resting the glasses on top of the earpads. I didn't have a problem at all with the M50's though.

WIth the W1000X, they don't hurt or anything, but when i move my head or twitch my ears (I know, it's weird, but a weird habit I've noticed I have since I got the W1000X), it makes a creaking noise when the headphones move against my glasses.

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #43 of 47
The Premium Beyers don't clamp hard and the velour is VERY soft. I'd say it's a winning combo.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #44 of 47
I still struggle with this problem from time to time.

Originally I had cut up an old pair of old Grado pads I had and used that soft material as a buffer between the end of my glasses and the skin behind my ears (cause that's were my headphones would clamp down).

Then I found my old glasses and I concur with what people have been saying. Thinner frames = more comfort for longer periods of time.

The whole tilting the glasses thing though, nah. Tried that. Wouldn't recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back