Giving the gift of HiFi to my man, need headphones
Sep 23, 2017 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

HannaDudziak

New Head-Fier
Hi Again :)

In addition to some stuff for me, I got my man a Fulla 2 DAC-amp combo.
This is for his work, so something not-theft-invoking and compact.

I mean, he's listening to music using a work laptop and USB headpiece! :O
We must do something!

Could I please be recommended headphones for the above box, he's mainly listening to:
60% 80's and synthwave
20% Hip-Hop
20% EDM

Headphones need to be relatively non-leaking, as he's sharing a room with others. Although I don't think this should be a primary concern, because he listens at quite low volume.
Noise isolation is really not a priority and actually good if he can hear others calling him.

Budget under GBP 150 (or 150 USD) :frowning2:

Been looking into the ATH m50x - I've heard they are great value but I don't know if they fit for the above purpose/setup?

Thanks

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 12
Frankly, even something like the AKG K92s would be a fun listen and an upgrade.

Those are maybe €50.

I know they stink for anything acoustic-y, but if you want a fun bass-y, comfy set of cans, there's much worse out there for more money.

They're also reasonably durable, reasonably cool looking and if they got stolen its kinda like, so what. They're 50 quid. Buy another set.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 12
Sennheiser hd461 (more bass impact, probably go for these ones, nice to have that extra bass at low volume listening) Or if you want a more balanced sound hd471. These are very affordable headphones with actually decent audio quality overall and better than average bass quality and linearity.

Comfort is pretty good, build is a bit cheap but not too bad. Very easy to drive and designed to be used with desktop pcs. Closed backs and they isolate pretty well

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 12
I think the M50X may work! I've heard it's a pretty fun pair to listen to!

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 12
Yes seconded on the M50x's. I own a pair and I prefer them over the Sennheiser HD 598's for music. They have great bass (but a bit exaggerated imo), good mids (though they can be a touch metallic), and well-defined treble, although they can be seen as more analytical than musical. The Sennheiser HD 598's would be considered somewhat warm but musical, although they underwhelm me compared to the M50x's in the bass department.

Edit: I forgot you're looking for closed backs. Sennheiser makes the 598 closed backs (I believe they have the "cs" suffix) as well. Haven't heard the 461's so can't say either way.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 12
Still thinking about the 461's... He's starting from scratch, so I think a decent dacamp and cans will already be like 20 times better than what he's getting now. Why hit him with the entry-level hifi yet?
I think I'll get him something under 100 and then the m50x when he's ready :)

I actually bought a new 461 but called the seller to cancel it because it's 461i and I still don't know why the Sennheiser site does 461i for 35 and 461g for 70? There must be some difference?

Sep 24, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 12
Hi Again :)

In addition to some stuff for me, I got my man a Fulla 2 DAC-amp combo.
This is for his work, so something not-theft-invoking and compact.

I mean, he's listening to music using a work laptop and USB headpiece! :O
We must do something!

Could I please be recommended headphones for the above box, he's mainly listening to:
60% 80's and synthwave
20% Hip-Hop
20% EDM

Headphones need to be relatively non-leaking, as he's sharing a room with others. Although I don't think this should be a primary concern, because he listens at quite low volume.
Noise isolation is really not a priority and actually good if he can hear others calling him.

Budget under GBP 150 (or 150 USD) :frowning2:

Been looking into the ATH m50x - I've heard they are great value but I don't know if they fit for the above purpose/setup?

Thanks

Superlux HD330, then get him some Beyerdynamic DT770 earpads for them.

Sep 24, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 12
For work comfort is also important I'm guessing so I would seriously consider the Beyerdynamic DT770

Depending on where you are in the UK there are usually places you can demo some headphones.

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #12 of 12
@ostewart makes a very good point about comfort.

FWIW I think a super comfortable headphone is the Focal Listen, which comes in a little under £150 at Amazon UK. The sound is quite good by my standards but it is not a bass-intensive headphone like the DT770, and it provides pretty good sound isolation, which might be more sound isolation than you said you were looking for. But I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back