Giving Blood
Dec 1, 2007 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

arnoldsoccer4

500+ Head-Fier
So I gave blood for the first time yesterday (just turned 17 this month). What a strange experience. It seems like you are pumping it out of yourself. Does anyone know how often you can do it, is there some kind of limit? I have to make up for gallons I took in blood transfusions at birth and give someone else the same opportunity to live.

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I gave blood for the first time yesterday (just turned 17 this month). What a strange experience. It seems like you are pumping it out of yourself. Does anyone know how often you can do it, is there some kind of limit? I have to make up for gallons I took in blood transfusions at birth and give someone else the same opportunity to live.

Congratulations!!!! That is a great thing to do!

Regarding the number of times you're allowed to do it, you should at the place you did it. They have all the info you'll ever need regarding blood donating.

Aparently rules are different in the US, because in the EU, anyone born after 1980 that has received a blood transfusion can not legally donate blood. This is not because of AIDS or other common bloodbourne pathogens related hillnessess. THe reason for this is the Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, AKA Mad Cow Disease.

I've spoken with donor centers several times, telling them I was willing to do any testing needed, but even with all the tests, I cannot donate... This makes me real sad, as so many people need blood everyday and every droop helps!

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Totally cool, mucho respect
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations!!!! That is a great thing to do!

Regarding the number of times you're allowed to do it, you should at the place you did it. They have all the info you'll ever need regarding blood donating.

Aparently rules are different in the US, because in the EU, anyone born after 1980 that has received a blood transfusion can not legally donate blood. This is not because of AIDS or other common bloodbourne pathogens related hillnessess. THe reason for this is the Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, AKA Mad Cow Disease.

I've spoken with donor centers several times, telling them I was willing to do any testing needed, but even with all the tests, I cannot donate... This makes me real sad, as so many people need blood everyday and every droop helps!

A question asked on the pre-screening here was if you had had a blood transfusion within the last 5 years, apparently after katrina we are a tad more lenient.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Congratulations and I salute you! I have thought of giving blood but I know I will pass out. Heck I almost do when I go to the dentist and it is time for the anesthesia shot ...
eek.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 27
I gave blood this summer... I think they told me that I could do it every 50-something days. I have low blood pressure though, so when I went to give blood, apparently I got really pale. I tried standing up and almost passed out. It was awesome.

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 27
giving blood is admirable just make sure you choose a place you are comfortable with. My friend was giving blood and after awhile (meaning not like she put it in and he said stop right away) he said I'm starting to not feel good/dizzy can we stop and the nurse held it in longer saying oh your fine. He did not feel good after and did not want to go back to give blood ever again.

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 27
Well, I'm kind of giving blood at the moment... I am helping to test a generic of pseudoephedrine (sudafed). This weekend I'm at the clinic. I have many jobs, but it seems I'm always sitting at a PC. Thankfully there is head-fi.

Don't give too much blood. Red Cross took a 1.5 pints from a friend and she passed out at the bus stop in her own vomit. Not cool, I personally think they take too much from the smaller people.

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 27
I'm told I cannot give blood, even though I did so in England. The reason? CJD (Mad Cow), and they exclude anyone who has spent more than 6 months in Europe.

I gave over 30 times in England, and now I live in the US, I can't. Seems a bit daft to me.

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 27
I gave blood when i was a senior in high school, and i have a blood donor card (o yeah O+ blood type
tongue.gif
), but i have never given blood since then. i've thought about it several times though, just never got around to it.

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 27
I have a medical condition that prohibits me from donating blood. I did donate once when I was 18, and of course passed out. (I'm a small guy). I wish I were able to donate. My blood type is AB-, which is pretty rare.

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #13 of 27
Seascrub what is your bp? Mine was 90/60 the day of (pretty normal for me) and I felt fine afterwards. Beerguy what is your condition, if you don't mind me asking? And craiglester, that is just weird, I don't understand the europe issue. Apparently 1 pint per 130 pounds is ok, I'm fine, I think there is a 120 pound limit, not sure though.

Dec 2, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm told I cannot give blood, even though I did so in England. The reason? CJD (Mad Cow), and they exclude anyone who has spent more than 6 months in Europe.

I gave over 30 times in England, and now I live in the US, I can't. Seems a bit daft to me.

Same here, I'm AB Negative, which apparently is very rare, yet because I've been to England many times I cannot donate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back