Giving Blood
Dec 2, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #16 of 27
In Canada, you can donate every 56 days. Plasma is replenished more quickly than red blood cells, so you can donate more frequently.

As for volume, we draw 510 mL, I believe... I think that's 1 pint? I don't know why anyone would draw more than that at one time, as you only have about 4500 mL of blood...

As for the nurse that kept the needle in the guy... that's just wrong. I wouldn't go back there ever, unless it was to report it to the supervisor, as what she did constitutes assault.

Dec 2, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I gave blood for the first time yesterday (just turned 17 this month). What a strange experience. It seems like you are pumping it out of yourself. Does anyone know how often you can do it, is there some kind of limit? I have to make up for gallons I took in blood transfusions at birth and give someone else the same opportunity to live.

Congratulations. This is a great way to give back to society.

As already indicated, the rules are different everywhere. The bloodbank (or whatever it's called there) can tell you. Perhaps they have a website with a FAQ.

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #18 of 27
What a great thing to do!
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #19 of 27
I started giving blood a few years ago, and try to keep it up every few months. I knew I would have a hard time and possibly pass out. I had trouble in basic training (military) and didn't try for 20 years.

I almost passed out and had to take it slow the first time a few years ago. The next time was much better. After that, no problem. Your body learns what is going on and adapts.

If the first time was rough, give it another try. I think you'll find it goes much easier.

I always thought that giving blood helps clense the blood. Kind of like a partail water change in an aquarium.

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #22 of 27
Give Blood - Play Ice Hockey!

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #24 of 27
I've given blood several times, but was a very regular donor of plasma. Always went through the Red Cross, I never sold it. Donated regularly through school, but have been tied down by work the past several years.

There are a couple other things I like about plasma. One, it usually gets used within 24-48 hours of donation. The people who need it really need it. Blood often sits for months before use. Also, the tissue typing done with plasma donations lets you get on the bone marrow donor registry (National Marrow Donor Program) which is very important.

I've been on the marrow registry for years and was called up twice. Went in for further matching and was a narrow miss both times. Disappointing. The square needle gives me the jibblies, but I'd do it.

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #25 of 27
I have thought about plasma, and am thinking about calling up the red cross by us. How are the aftereffects after giving it? Are you drained of energy?

Dec 3, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #26 of 27
I've given blood once. It was very uneventful and I didn't even feel dizzy or weak.

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seascrub what is your bp? Mine was 90/60 the day of (pretty normal for me) and I felt fine afterwards. Beerguy what is your condition, if you don't mind me asking? And craiglester, that is just weird, I don't understand the europe issue. Apparently 1 pint per 130 pounds is ok, I'm fine, I think there is a 120 pound limit, not sure though.

I have something called Gilbert's Syndrome. It's medically relatively insignificant, but it is a blood related disorder, and my hematologist told me that I should not donate blood, since my red blood cell production is compromised. (I spent a month in the hospital at age 18 to find this out, most of that in isolation.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back