Girlsfriends upset at how much i spent on my headphones
Sep 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #61 of 92

Quote:

Oh dear god...Why did this have to come up?

Quote:
I was worried we were headed that direction, then bam. It happened. 
confused_face.gif

And as for college relationships, I don't see the problem unless you take extremely work-heavy classes. Then there's a problem. But then again, this is head-fi, so naturally, "other things" will get in the way.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #62 of 92
Basic great women can take a middle class man and make him really soar in the money game. Some times it's the man who is good with money and some times the female. One has to be good to get ahead. 

I made a ton of money when I met my wife. I did not save or buy real estate. My room looked like a pawn shop. My wife got us to spend money wisely.

That is not to say I was always good. I spent a lot behind her back. Ladies are just trying to make a family most of the time. House, bank account the basics.

The girlfriend here is maybe very practical. After a while headphones and the huge purchasing can be impractical. She is maybe just trying to show you that.

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #64 of 92
I thought $300 phones were expensive, $1000 AMPs people buy around here, but then i was thinking.................We went out for a family dinner and the bill was $300 for just one meal, that was gone in half an hour
confused_face.gif
People drop $1200 a year on cable or satellite, which is mostly garbage.
I wouldn't know but i would imagine having friends/gf would cost a pretty penny. Let me see, movies, sporting events, concerts, malls, everything is expensive! $10 for a burger, $10 for a beer, $10 movie ticket, $50 for sports if you're lucky, $10 to use the toilet....................so then it hit me, for something you enjoy for countless hours for a good portion of your life if you so please, headphones and even Home Theater/PC/Gaming isn't expensive at all! It's just how you choose to slice it. Don't even mention what people will spend on clothes, i'm perfectly fine with JCPenney/Target/Sears clothing.
L3000.gif
And ahhhh hell i just might get some RS1s to give um a whirl?? Hehe, what about the cars you see on the road? BMW to impress chicks, souped up civics to go racing with your buddies, how much is that? And some of those don't even add value to the car.

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #65 of 92

People ask why I won't put too much money into my civic, the reason is that someday I plan on selling the thing, and I won't put any more money into it than the Kelly Bluebook value of the car, with the exception of things I can take with me when I sell it (soundsystem). I got it with a little damage for like 2200 under KBB value, so that's enough money to play with, have a little fun, make it look decent, and make it more reliable. Someday I'll own a car that I plan to own forever, and that I'll put money into, but that's different.
Quote:
fine with JCPenney/Target/Sears clothing.
L3000.gif
And ahhhh hell i just might get some RS1s to give um a whirl?? Hehe, what about the cars you see on the road? BMW to impress chicks, souped up civics to go racing with your buddies, how much is that? And some of those don't even add value to the car.

This. I was at home for the summer, but was taking a lot of courses (Calc 1, Calc 2, and independent-study of Physics), and the fact that to be a good student I would have had to devote hours a day outside of class to work really put tension on things. That's just how it goes, life get's conflicting schedules, and sometimes those around you will hold the things you need to do against you, because technically it IS a want. Class isn't food or water, you don't need it to live, but you need it to thrive. But then who's to say that time spent away from your girl on schoolwork isn't any better than time away from your girl for head-fi?
Quote:

And as for college relationships, I don't see the problem unless you take extremely work-heavy classes. Then there's a problem. But then again, this is head-fi, so naturally, "other things" will get in the way.

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #66 of 92
My I ask why all the guys fell the need to be the one paying for everything for there girlfriend?  It should be all equal.

Quote:
lol. =\ should of said they were like $50 each. she was pretty mad though when i spent like 450 in 2 days on headphones....

Anyone ever experience same thing?

You earn your own money yeah?  If you live together you pay for everything your meant to correct?  You have the disposable income?  If you answered yes to all three then she has no real reason to complain.  I've spent over $2000 in a day and if anyone has a problem with that it is to bad for them as it is not there concern.

Quote:
Dump the girlfriend in favor of a series of meaningless short-term relationships.

Buy a motorcycle and hang around dive bars - it helps.

Get a cat or dog if you want a faithful companion.

So true.

Quote:
I dumped the last GF I had because of her obsession with my toys.

That doesn't sound like a bad thing.  :p

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #67 of 92

Quote:
I thought $300 phones were expensive, $1000 AMPs people buy around here, but then i was thinking.................We went out for a family dinner and the bill was $300 for just one meal, that was gone in half an hour
confused_face.gif
People drop $1200 a year on cable or satellite, which is mostly garbage.
I wouldn't know but i would imagine having friends/gf would cost a pretty penny. Let me see, movies, sporting events, concerts, malls, everything is expensive! $10 for a burger, $10 for a beer, $10 movie ticket, $50 for sports if you're lucky, $10 to use the toilet....................so then it hit me, for something you enjoy for countless hours for a good portion of your life if you so please, headphones and even Home Theater/PC/Gaming isn't expensive at all! It's just how you choose to slice it. Don't even mention what people will spend on clothes, i'm perfectly fine with JCPenney/Target/Sears clothing.
L3000.gif

True, I do like a nice suit though.  There just so comfy when they fit you right I want to use them as my pj's.

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #68 of 92
Quote:

so then it hit me, for something you enjoy for countless hours for a good portion of your life if you so please, headphones and even Home Theater/PC/Gaming isn't expensive at all! It's just how you choose to slice it.

That's a very good observation, and why I think it's irrational when you see someone with decent savings skimp on something like a nice keyboard, mouse, or computer monitor.  An average keyboard probably gets thousands of hours of use, easily, before it's thrown away, but many people think it's crazy to spend more than a bargain basement price on getting a nice quality or ergonomic setup (or not using the prepackaged Dell keyboard until it croaks).  If people would calculate the price/hours of what they're buying, I think it would make them think a bit differently about the way they spend money.  For example, a nice steak dinner for two is easily $60+ before factoring in drinks and dessert, but that could be another $40-50 (when compared to a more economical dinner choice) towards a nice natural keyboard which will save a lot of wear and tear on the joints.

I sometimes debate with the significant other about the utility (the personal satisfaction you derive from something) of a piece of high-end audio gear is vs. the memories of, say, a trip for two overseas (and you can even compare that to a nice getaway on the coast or in the mountains).  It comes down to what really matters to you in life.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #69 of 92
If you fellas aren't enjoying your wives/girlfriends/suitablecompanionsubstitute for hours and hours, maybe you're doing something wrong.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #70 of 92

Quote:
lol. =\ should of said they were like $50 each. she was pretty mad though when i spent like 450 in 2 days on headphones....

Quote:

ruh roh. we are to young to get married. im not saying anything to her. but its kind of funny, i am not even thinking about marriage yet. (2 years or so been together) we are both freshman in college, been friends for 5 years. For those of you who are married, when was the ideal time for you?

So for every headphone you buy, that's like 1 or 2 less guests at your fancy wedding... I see where this is going :wink: 

Looking back to when I was a freshman... THAT'S WAY TOO YOUNG TO GET MARRIED!!!!1 
tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #71 of 92

Quote:
If you fellas aren't enjoying your wives/girlfriends/suitablecompanionsubstitute for hours and hours, maybe you're doing something wrong.

Oh good, because I actually enjoyed the hours and hours. Now to start saving up for some HD598's...Got 3 months or so to save up 180 bucks. It's either that or cheap out for some SR80's. Though I question what "people" will think if I brought them out into public. Methinks I need to stick to DJ cans on that one.

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #73 of 92
We're not all so sucky as to have found The One. 

It's not luck. First date vital ground rules to set -

1. Do you like music?

2. Do you set budgets for anything music related?

3. If you want to see me again?

4. Well, I spend money on headphones and associated gear and you need to understand that? Ok?

:D:D

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #74 of 92

Quote:
It's not luck. First date vital ground rules to set -

1. Do you like music?

2. Do you set budgets for anything music related?

3. If you want to see me again?

4. Well, I spend money on headphones and associated gear and you need to understand that? Ok?

biggrin.gif
:D

I would +1 this post if I could. Sadly, there is no Google +1 thing for posts. Likewise, been a while since any girl has caught my eye. Head-fi has made me too picky.
Most important rules of picking a nice girl now:
1: Must look good.
2: Must not like Beats/Skullcandy/iBuds/Bose/be spoiled and have all of these.
3: Must not be Otaku<-...Long story.

floatsmile.png

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #75 of 92

Quote:
I would +1 this post if I could. Sadly, there is no Google +1 thing for posts. Likewise, been a while since any girl has caught my eye. Head-fi has made me too picky.
Most important rules of picking a nice girl now:
1: Must look good.
2: Must not like Beats/Skullcandy/iBuds/Bose/be spoiled and have all of these.
3: Must not be Otaku<-...Long story.

floatsmile.png

Haha, I laughed when I read that XD

... I would like to hear the story of why you wouldn't date an Otaku lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back