Gilmore lite
Jul 13, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #61 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by chicken
Sorry 'bout this newb question but, does a power supply really make THAT much difference. I know it makes some, but the ELPAC is still pretty good, right? Thanks.
PS All of that side discussion was pretty funny when taken as a whole. lol. Thanks - Head-Fi rocks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes it was funny!
biggrin.gif

The power supply is as important as any aspect of the amp and many would argue it is one of the top most important aspects of an amplifier's design (some would even say it is THE most important thing). I'd say that if one were looking at an amp like the Gilmore Lite, which will use an outboard power supply, they would be expecting that it's not going to perform perhaps quite as well as an amp with a dedicated power supply built into the amp (the V2) or with a high quality power supply in it's own enclosure (a' la Emmeline HR-2 for example). But it will likely perform very well against amplifiers in it's price range. So you have to put it in context I guess. Another thing to consider is the cans it will be driving, IMO an amp driving the HD600's needs a robust power supply to drive them sufficiently. I personally feel the V2 sounds a tad lightweight when driving the HD600, but with my SR60's they sound anything but in fact. Class A solid state amplifier design is noted for it's often superior sonics but not for being power house designs. To make them powerful they need quite robust power supplies, IMO.

Jul 13, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #62 of 90
That's pretty much the thought I was having. I'm using a set of Ety 4S, which are nice and that have never struck me as needing a lot of power to drive so I'm guessing they would work well with it. I have two offices and the Lite would fit nicely into my carrying case for transport which the V2 does not.

I have a DVD Audio Video player I use for my portable source. I've tried using the SuperMini amplifier previously, but found it really didn't improve on my portable by itself. I would assume the Gilmore Light is somewhere in between the two amplifiers in terms of quality. The unknown is where it is in between the two. I think I may order it and take advantage of the 30 day return policy if it doesn't work out...

Jul 14, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #64 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
I've tried using the SuperMini amplifier previously, but found it really didn't improve on my portable by itself. I would assume the Gilmore Light is somewhere in between the two amplifiers in terms of quality.

i'm sure the gilmore lite will hold it's own. wow, after the improvements of the meta42 over the months, seems like portable greats are surfacing these days. it would be awesome to hear impressions on gilmore lite vs ppa vs the battery powered emmelines in one of the meets to come.

Jul 14, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #65 of 90
Note: The gilmore lite is NOT a portable amp. It still runs off +/-15VDC power and does not have a batterpack available. It is merely a more affordable version of the Gilmore design.
-Mag

Jul 14, 2003 at 7:43 AM Post #66 of 90
Heh, we might define a portable amplifier a bit differently!
etysmile.gif
To me anything that fits comfortably into my carrying case and weighs less than my laptop strikes me as portable, even if it has to be plugged in!
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 16, 2003 at 1:20 PM Post #68 of 90
Quote:

I'd say that if one were looking at an amp like the Gilmore Lite, which will use an outboard power supply, they would be expecting that it's not going to perform perhaps quite as well as an amp with a dedicated power supply built into the amp (the V2) or with a high quality power supply in it's own enclosure (a' la Emmeline HR-2 for example).

On the other hand, is it possible that the Gilmore Lite can sound as good or better than the original V2 if a very good outboard power supply is used?

Anyone thinking of battery powering the Gilmore Lites?
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2003 at 2:46 PM Post #69 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
Heh, we might define a portable amplifier a bit differently!
etysmile.gif
To me anything that fits comfortably into my carrying case and weighs less than my laptop strikes me as portable, even if it has to be plugged in!
evil_smiley.gif

Transportable is the word.
-Mag

Jul 16, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #70 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by erickoh
On the other hand, is it possible that the Gilmore Lite can sound as good or better than the original V2 if a very good outboard power supply is used?

I'm doubting it. Sounds to me like the wall wart supply will be the power supplies regulated transformer and then the supply caps are in the Lite's main enclosure and with that I am sure the caps are likely smaller than the V2's caps. Not sure how good these wal wart's can get but I'd find it hard to think they could beat the V2's quality Torroidal type and accompanying quality parts. I'm no expert here though.

Jul 16, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #71 of 90
I was speaking to Justin recently, and he expressed some things to me which should probably be clarified about the upcomming amp. There seems to be a misconception that by definition a wall-wart is an inferior power supply. In fact, the wall-wart he will be using is no different than an internal regulated power supply you might find in most home amplifiers. It contains a transformer, rectifier diodes, a pair of +/-15V voltage regulators, and four large electrolytic capacitors. And As an added bonus, the units are very reliable and meet many EMI and safety requirements.

Jul 16, 2003 at 8:16 PM Post #72 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by ablaze
so. confess. who got one?
very_evil_smiley.gif

me... and i also have a 627 meta on the way.. i will do a review on them in a month or so after 100 hours of burn in... and then i will sell the one i don't like.... and all will be nice.. full of sugar and spice
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 16, 2003 at 9:36 PM Post #73 of 90
Hi,
So the Gilmore Lite is out? I would love to hear anyone impression on it.

Purk

Jul 16, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #75 of 90
Heh, OK, I'll confess after a long struggle I broke down and ordered one. It a real nice size for transport and since I have two offices, I want something I can carry back and forth. I think this'll fit the bill nicely!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back