GF has tiny ears
Oct 5, 2010 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

joesuburb

100+ Head-Fier
My girlfriend has tiny ears.  She cant even put on my Monsters or IE8s.  I have an old set of Shure SE420s, but cant find the small tips to have her try them.  Anyone have any opinions about very good IEMs for someone with freakishly small ears?

I was thinking of getting her Jays Q-Jays, but they dont have great reviews.  Plus they should be called Q-Tips.  Any opinions?  The housing on the Shures seem too large for her head.  But the tips are as small as Ive seen.  Id rather not pay more than about $250.

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 14
What's wrong with the q-JAYS? They're very competent earphones - not top-tier but then they don't try to be. They are tiny, comfortable, and quite easy to use, however. If she can be careful with the cable I don't really see a problem. The UE700 uses a similar form factor but sounds worse in my book. ATH-CK10 (if you can find them), Phonak PFEs, and Soundmagic PL50s (if you're feeling cheap) would also be decent options for someone with smaller ears. 

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 14
had a pair of q-jays, loved them.  absolutely amazing sound, incredibly comfortable.  only lost them bc they broke - cord pulled out.  If you're careful with them, this shouldn't be a problem.

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 14
Is it small ears, or ear canals, or both? I have medium ear canals but the other parts of my ear are small and make it hard to fit some IEMs. (I'm one of those people that can't wear an earbud because there's not enough room to set it in my ear.)

The Grado GR8 is a very small IEM (in terms of the outside-the-canal part) - I can't imagine it being a size problem for anyone. The smallest tip on them is pretty small - smaller than the small tips on my Shures.

If it's more the ear canal that is the problem, my Soundmagic PL50 came with really tiny tips - BUT, the outer part is hard for me to fit because of the smallness of my outer ear parts.

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 14

Image X10 ?

i believe those are tiny
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 14
I have the same problem as her, I can't leave IEMs in my ears for longer than 30 minutes without getting a headache. That's the reason why I usually look for on ear and over ear models. 

Or you can just make your own tip by cutting a piece of earplug.

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #11 of 14
Hi,

I'm quite similar to your GF and Sarah in that I've got fairly small ears so find some IEMs a bit uncomfortable after a while (e.g. Sennheiser IEMs fall out of my ears due to the bad fit I get). However, I've been using Shure IEMs for the past couple of years and have always found them very comfortable and the sound is great (to my ears anyway). I currently use SE210 earphones and they're not very large at all and from what I've seen of the higher spec models this is normally the case.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 14
Might also like to try some small Comply tips. The new TX- range come in small medium and large and they are really comfortable.

HTH cheers Ed

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #14 of 14
I ordered a set of those Comply foams...Yes, the Tx series. Its been a month and I've still yet to receive them though.
frown.gif

Well, I think buying a pair of sleeves or foams that fit is the best option since most earphones are universal fit and therefore probably won't make 
enough of a difference to improve on your situation. I say the best option is to simply not change the size, but the material to compensate for discomfort.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back