Getting skeptical: does "better" really exist?
May 22, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #76 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicfailman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can something perform how it is intended when it is not receiving enough power?

You have no idea how much power the K701 needs to perform as "intended", nor how much power it received from my setup, nor how the phones are "intended" to perform.

May 22, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #77 of 402
Quote:

Oh dear....it is not invalid because it isn't up to my specifications. It is invalid because you underpowered one of the headphones. How can something perform how it is intended when it is not receiving enough power? So in your comparison, you gave one the upper hand before starting. Think of it this way, if an olympics track trainer has two 100-meter dash runners. One he feeds a proper diet befor the race and the other he underfeeds. Can you really say the outcome of the following race truly reflected the skill and quality of the runner? Sure, you make that claim, but to do so off such data is foolish. So yes, it does become invalid.

You're missing the mark. The result is valid. One lost the race, one won. It's kind of like life, unfair, but those were the conditions that obtained. It's like saying that it's invalid to say the sky is blue instead of black because there's atmosphere there to scatter the light. If you go above the atmosphere, it certainly is black, (or seems to be), but that doesn't change things here on the ground.

BTW, does it say anywhere on the packaging or the manufacturer's web site that the headphones you refer to have to be driven by any particular amp to reach their potential?

May 22, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #78 of 402
I personally don't know the power it needs. However, people on the forums who are much more experienced and knowledgeable than myself do. Read about the headphones on here. General consensus says that they are picky headphones that need the right amp to drive them. I know that you did not have the right amp in you experiment, and I can tell you without a doubt...a laptop will not be able to power those headphones properly. Period. I know a thing or two about laptops and the power they consume, and they simply cannot provide enough juice while plugged in to properly power both itself and those headphones.

May 22, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #79 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have no idea how much power the K701 needs to perform as "intended", nor how much power it received from my setup, nor how the phones are "intended" to perform.

He has absolutely no idea how much power akg intended their headphones to receive? None? I'm reasonably sure we all know that akg intended for their 701's to receive more power than, say, a grado sr-60. I also think we can assume that they intended for them to receive more power than ad700s.

In any case, I find it amusing how you latch on to the word intended despite the fact that epicfailman only used it once.

May 22, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #80 of 402
Quote:

I personally don't know the power it needs.

You don't personally know anything about these headphones.

May 22, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #81 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're missing the mark. The result is valid. One lost the race, one won. It's kind of like life, unfair, but those were the conditions that obtained. It's like saying that it's invalid to say the sky is blue instead of black because there's atmosphere there to scatter the light. If you go above the atmosphere, it certainly is black, (or seems to be), but that doesn't change things here on the ground.

BTW, does it say anywhere on the packaging or the manufacturer's web site that the headphones you refer to have to be driven by any particular amp to reach their potential?

It's a valid conclusion to compare runners based on a race where one is half starved? That's like saying it's valid to compare an AD700 amped with a beta-22 to an AKG701 plugged into thin air.

May 22, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #82 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you set out to compare two runners and handicap one of them, that is not life being unfair, that is your experiment failing...the result is not valid. Like I said, go read up on the scientific method. if you give the upper hand to one party on your experiment before you start and during the experiment, then your conclusions cannot be trusted. You can contend that point until you are blue in the face, but it changes nothing. And I based my knowledge of the K701s and what they need to drive them based on other head-fiers who are much more knowledgeable and experienced than myself.

May 22, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #83 of 402
Quote:

That's a pretty big insult to give a guy who owns one of the pairs of headphones being discussed. Or are you insinuating that epicfailman is deaf?

May 22, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #84 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyChicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a pretty big insult to give a guy who owns one of the pairs of headphones being discussed.

I'm talking about the K701. When last did you own one?

May 22, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #85 of 402
Quote:

If you set out to compare two runners and handicap one of them, that is not life being unfair, that is your experiment failing...the result is not valid. Like I said, go read up on the scientific method. if you give the upper hand to one party on your experiment before you start and during the experiment, then your conclusions cannot be trusted. You can contend that point until you are blue in the face, but it changes nothing. And I based my knowledge of the K701s and what they need to drive them based on other head-fiers who are much more knowledgeable and experienced than myself.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I generally don't form my opinions based on the scientific method: "God, that woman is beautiful. But let's devise another experiment under different lighting conditions with her hair blow-dried instead of curled with rollers just to make sure."

May 22, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #86 of 402
Quote:

I'm talking about the K701. When last did you own one?

Did I own one? I have never owned either an AD700 or a K701. I don't see where I enter into it.

May 22, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #87 of 402
Quote:

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I generally don't form my opinions based on the scientific method: "God, that woman is beautiful. But let's devise another experiment under different lighting conditions with her hair blow-dried instead of curled with rollers just to make sure."

I perform experiments with women all the time.

May 22, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #88 of 402
Quote:

But I based it off of highly experienced people. Which is what every person on the face of the planet does when they learn something. They learn something from people who do research and spend time testing. I don't have to test high end headphones to know that they are better; I can base that off of what other say. I may not prefer them to a mid-ranged product, but that does not change that the others are better. The whole idea that no headphone is objectively better than another is utter nonsense. Edition 9s are clearly better than apple earbuds. There is no doubt. Someone may prefer the earbuds, but that changes nothing.

May 22, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #89 of 402
Quote:

I have never owned either an AD700 or a K701. I don't see where I enter into it.

I see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicfailman
But I based it off of highly experienced people.

LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back