Getting skeptical: does "better" really exist?
May 22, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #106 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, but we're not comparing apples to oranges, we're comparing apples to apples, or dynamics to dynamics, if you prefer.

I'm still looking for an answer to my ? about the documented need for any particular amplification for the phones in question from the manufacturer. Anyone?

There's nothing in the manual, which I'm holding in my hands. There was nothing on the box, either.

May 22, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #107 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, the histrionics! I used my AD700 and K701 with my UB802 and Macbook. Both sounded good under both conditions.

Wow....that did not answer the question at all...no one cares at the moment if you thought it sounded good. It is a yes or no question. And your answer should be yes.

May 22, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #108 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicfailman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no one cares at the moment if you thought it sounded good.

To the contrary, this is the only thing I care about. That's the fun part about listening for pleasure.

May 22, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #109 of 402
Quote:

There's nothing in the manual, which I'm holding in my hands. There was nothing on the box, either.

I'm guessing they do need amplification though.

May 22, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #110 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, but we're not comparing apples to oranges, we're comparing apples to apples, or dynamics to dynamics, if you prefer.

I'm still looking for an answer to my ? about the documented need for any particular amplification for the phones in question from the manufacturer. Anyone?

Am I missing something? Does anyone do this? Do we have to have the manufacturer tell us it needs to be amped to get the right amount of power? not at all. As I stated before, anyone can find that information out with electrical engineering. And of course they don't list that on the box. When do you see toothpaste containers telling you to use it with a certain toothbrush? Does that mean that all information on which toothbrush will work better with that toothpaste is wrong unless it comes from the manufacturer? No at all....

May 22, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #111 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyChicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing they do need amplification though.

Pretty sure every headphone needs amplification. Without it, it would be hard to hear anything.

May 22, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #112 of 402
Quote:

Oh, the histrionics! I used my AD700 and K701 with my UB802 and Macbook. Both sounded good under both conditions.

It's easy to believe that what you have is as good as it gets if you've never experienced better.

May 22, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #113 of 402
Quote:

Pretty sure every headphone needs amplification. Without it, it would be hard to hear anything.

I'm guessing that's my point.

Anyways, it's been a lovely flame. I appreciate it lucky, epicfailman, tenzip, and all you other contributors. I'm off to bed and I sincerely hope you've had as much fun as I have.

May 22, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #114 of 402
Quote:

And with the wrong amplification, you don't hear the headphone as it should be heard. A laptop headphone port is not the right amplification.

May 22, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #115 of 402
Quote:

I'm guessing that's why all audio devices include amps inside.

May 22, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #116 of 402
Quote:

Anyways, it's been a lovely flame. I appreciate it lucky, epicfailman, tenzip, and all you other contributors. I'm off to bed and I sincerely hope you've had as much fun as I have.

My sentiments exactly.

May 22, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #117 of 402
Quote:

And with the wrong amplification...

You don't even know what these phones sound like with the "wrong" amplification, never mind with the "right" amplification, never mind what the "right" amplification is.

May 22, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #118 of 402
Quote:

Am I missing something? Does anyone do this? Do we have to have the manufacturer tell us it needs to be amped to get the right amount of power? not at all. As I stated before, anyone can find that information out with electrical engineering. And of course they don't list that on the box. When do you see toothpaste containers telling you to use it with a certain toothbrush? Does that mean that all information on which toothbrush will work better with that toothpaste is wrong unless it comes from the manufacturer? No at all....

No, but electronic items will tell you what kind of power supply they need if it's not obvious from the type of input receptacle.

Testing two kinds of drill with a standard 2-prong plug, deciding one works better than the other, and then having someone come along and say, "Oh, the one you didn't like should be used at 240V instead of 120V" is equivalent to what you're saying.

May 22, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #119 of 402
Quote:

Oh, I'm most decidedly having a BALL! I'm tired, I feel like crap, and I'm still going to have to go to work tomorrow.

But it's FUN. I hope nobody is truly getting a nose out of joint, as I'm just enjoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back