Getting skeptical: does "better" really exist?
May 23, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #226 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having said all that, express your opinion, and if you use the words "better" and it offends someone stupid enough to not understand the difference between subjective opinions and objective facts, then tough luck to them.

Haha! I like this quote. Nicely stated there.

May 23, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #227 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHAT!? And ruin this splendid time-waster? Such lovely fun. If I really enjoyed it that much, though, I'd spend time in the sound science forum. This is just a lark. Nobody's forcing you to read it, and most here are having fun.

If the OP is just a troll, add him to your ignore list, then you won't be forced to read this thread.

I am with you, tenzip! this is the most fun I have had on a forum in ages. You are right, no one is forcing anyone to read this, so if this thread annoys you, stop reading it.

May 23, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #228 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't see how one person's opinion can possibly be less valid than another's, regardless of experience, when we're talking about something that is completely subjective, as picking a pair of headphones is, based on sound preference.

Well, not technically invalid I guess. But a more experienced person opinion is usually held to a higher reguard, so opinions do have values places on them. On one who knows little of what they have an opinion on should not have that opinion be worth much to other people.

May 23, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #229 of 402
I should probably quote all that stuff in one response instead of three.
tongue.gif

May 23, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #230 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicfailman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the word "better" is a relative term.

relative yes... but relative can be either subjective or objective so youre just trying to escape from the main point

May 23, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #232 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Everything in audio is subjective?" You're wrong. And that is a fact.

Most everything. If you wanna go into stuff like square wave reproduction and power ratings and all of that then go ahead, but the important bits (Sans making sure you don't fry your headphones) are subjective. The important bits being how it sounds to you.

Silly English language and trolls that take advantage of it.

May 23, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #234 of 402
What's more interesting to me than the dead-horse regurgitation of objective vs. subjective garbledygook, and the who gives a noodle about squatodiddle and the blah blah blech that mimics intelligent debate rather than being intelligent debate is that underneath it all is a level of arrogance so colossal that it annihilates common sense. How very sad.

I think it's a pretty basic assumption that anyone visiting this site long enough to register and post came looking for something better than what he or she had before coming here. My guess is that anyone who has stayed as long as the members posting in this thread has found a least one headphone that did just that. What form of witless hubris then allows for doubt that something better might exist beyond the scope of one's experience? Only a troll or fool would dare to pose such a thought publicly. What imbecility it is then to play the it's-just-an-opinion card or the science-answers-all card or the it-should/shouldn't-be-about-money card! Talk about a culture of narcissism: people locking the world into tiny cages of their own limited understanding without experience and/or respect for what they may one day learn, and then defending it. Why defend what's not defensible? Egad, people! To say it's all subjective and every opinion is right is pure crappola. To say that something must be measured to be known is science at it's worst. To discount the collective experience and opinions of members who have been engaged in his hobby for sometimes decades, and who say without a doubt, and regardless of subjective preferences, that certain headphones and certain components are "better" than others, even if they prefer one over another, is pure pea-brained, arrogant folly.

Those of you who would like to continue arguing for the sake of arguing, carry on, but know at least what flavor of fluff you're perpetuating. I'm opting for common sense and going back to listening to music. I'm using my PK1s with a pico and my macbook. This rig is far worse than all that I own. Sometimes I prefer it and sometimes I prefer other. I still know what's better, but sometimes I don't care. I'm liking this one a lot right now. It's possible to know one thing and be glad for it and enjoy another and be glad for that. Right now I'm grateful for both.

May 23, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #235 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot. Mostly that we were witless, drooling pea-brained mouthbreahers.

It sounds like you read the whole thread. If something annoys me, I usually find a way to make it stop. Perhaps you too would benefit from this.

I'm having fun while listening to my headphones. You go have fun in your own way.

Saying that a subjective opinion can ever be wrong or invalid, is, in my opinion, a lot less intellectually sound than everything you said. Uninformed, yes, that's a definite possibility. But intelligent people can change their opinions. It doesn't matter if everyone else on the planet says that the headphones you are using are crap, if you enjoy them, that's all that matters. You enjoying them is not invalidated by the fact that they are crap to everyone else. And vice-versa.

And as for arrogance, well, nice to have your opinion on the subject, kettle.

May 23, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #236 of 402
Quote:

What's more interesting to me than the dead-horse regurgitation of objective vs. subjective garbledygook, and the who gives a noodle about squatodiddle and the blah blah blech that mimics intelligent debate rather than being intelligent debate is that underneath it all is a level of arrogance so colossal that it annihilates common sense. How very sad.

I think it's a pretty basic assumption that anyone visiting this site long enough to register and post came looking for something better than what he or she had before coming here. My guess is that anyone who has stayed as long as the members posting in this thread has found a least one headphone that did just that. What form of witless hubris then allows for doubt that something better might exist beyond the scope of one's experience? Only a troll or fool would dare to pose such a thought publicly. What imbecility it is then to play the it's-just-an-opinion card or the science-answers-all card or the it-should/shouldn't-be-about-money card! Talk about a culture of narcissism: people locking the world into tiny cages of their own limited understanding without experience and/or respect for what they may one day learn, and then defending it. Why defend what's not defensible? Egad, people! To say it's all subjective and every opinion is right is pure crappola. To say that something must be measured to be known is science at it's worst. To discount the collective experience and opinions of members who have been engaged in his hobby for sometimes decades, and who say without a doubt, and regardless of subjective preferences, that certain headphones and certain components are "better" than others, even if they prefer one over another, is pure pea-brained, arrogant folly.

Those of you who would like to continue arguing for the sake of arguing, carry on, but know at least what flavor of fluff you're perpetuating. I'm opting for common sense and going back to listening to music. I'm using my PK1s with a pico and my macbook. This rig is far worse than all that I own. Sometimes I prefer it and sometimes I prefer other. I still know what's better, but sometimes I don't care. I'm liking this one a lot right now. It's possible to know one thing and be glad for it and enjoy another and be glad for that. Right now I'm grateful for both.

You do realize when you called everyone here debating arrogant and then proceeded to write a post using the most colorful and intelligent words that you could, that you made yourself look arrogant, don't you? Keep in mind, I am not making any claim that you are arrogant, but rather that you most certainly gave off an air of the very arrogance that you just finished condemning by that post. You do have a fair point, but I suggest if you are offended by out thread that you should just leave rather than getting yourself involved.

May 23, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #237 of 402
Quote:

Hu?

May 23, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #238 of 402
Quote:

This has got to be the most obliviously hypocritical post I have ever read on head-fi, ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back