Getting my Rigs recabled
Jan 1, 2019 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Playstation

500+ Head-Fier
I have the Plantronics Rigs 500 series that I've been using with a smsl dac, requiring a splitter/adaptor.

The headphones have chips soldered to the speakers on one side and the cable on the other for both ears.
I'm wanting to upgrade the cable and possibly do away with the 3.5mm trrs jack altogether. It is has a microphone and I could care less if it is included in the recabling process.

Punchline. Are there any possible scenarios that I should be wary of before or after the professional recables the headphones that might interfere in any way with sound quality/ performance, or possibly damaging the speakers and or dac?

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 7
What you're wanting done would probably cost more than the headphones are worth. I'd put the money towards a pair of headphones just for listening to music, if that's the intention.

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 7
I can get 4 joints soldered for $20 or less. Now finding the right cable. Not sure if he would also need to attach a jack to the cable or if I can buy one where the one side is terminated and the other is just wire. Please send me some links if you know of any

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 7
I think he's also able to solder cable to a jack if need be. But I guess I can always go to Wal-Mart buy a cable and cut one end off D:
That might actually be the cheapest and quickest way D:

I haven't contacted the manufacturer yet about their cables and how they recommend replacing them

If I walk away with something better for half the price of new headphones that is good enough for me

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 7
So I'll probably be getting the man to cut one end off and solder it to the chipset. Easily saving $30 and walking away with a better setup

It's probably best to get a dual cable that is already split to ensure there are plenty of wires to solder.

Any cheap 1/4 trs dual cables that can be recommended would be greatly appreciated.

FYI
Plantronics has an exchange program for out of warranty products that are still in the supported product line where you can send your old pair in and buy a replacement pair at a reduced price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back