Getting My Feet Wet With Balanced- MKVII Initial Impressions
Dec 30, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #77 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No more apologies to my wallet. I'm just gonna have to sell off some more gear. Damn hobby.

Go for it sunneebear...Add a new friend to your Matrix...
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I asked Sword Yang about the availability of the MKVII and he said that the MKVII+ is in the works. It is a minor update with some improvements in circuit design and should be available soon (like in 2 weeks or so)

I just read a thread on the MKVIII (tube)...And who is going defunct?...Keep em' coming Sword and David....

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #78 of 103
Just placed my order
icon10.gif
...Now I need to pick up some soldering skills in order to balance my HD600's
redface.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #79 of 103
I wanted an MKVII but I will order the Auditor instead. Hopefully I'm not doing a mistake...

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #80 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just placed my order
icon10.gif
...Now I need to pick up some soldering skills in order to balance my HD600's
redface.gif

How were you able to order one of these units? I was told that they would not be available until mid January at the earliest and some mentioned that the new units would be an upgraded version? Inquiring minds want to know more!
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #81 of 103
Nice amp and impressions!

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #82 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowedtoothdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How were you able to order one of these units? I was told that they would not be available until mid January at the earliest and some mentioned that the new units would be an upgraded version? Inquiring minds want to know more!
biggrin.gif

The MKVII+ is not mass produced yet but they are taking some orders for customers in China. The current units are built-to-order ("hand soldered" I was told..) so maybe that's why they told you mid-Jan.

Now I feel like a white rat
tongue_smile.gif

Some pics can be found here

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #83 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MKVII+ is not mass produced yet but they are taking some orders for customers in China. The current units are built-to-order ("hand soldered" I was told..) so maybe that's why they told you mid-Jan.

Now I feel like a white rat
tongue_smile.gif

Some pics can be found here

What changes have been done from Vll to Vll+ or is the + because they have problems sourcing parts for the Vll.

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #84 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What changes have been done from Vll to Vll+ or is the + because they have problems sourcing parts for the Vll.

I'll try my best to translate what Sword said...

"The circuit is basically the same, the only difference being the original op-amp based buffers are replaced with discrete transistors. The advantage is that the output current can be controlled by precision potentiometer(s?). Because of its [not sure what 'it' refers to....] Class-A nature, the output sound is warmer"

I hope the above makes sense to you
redface.gif

Disclaimer: I have zero background in electronics...

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #85 of 103
Looks like that there is one OP-amp being used which is the LME49710HA and the rest is discrete. The precision potentiometer for volume control is huge on the circuit board.

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #87 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeez, someone has to stop them!!
I've just purchased the MK VII, planning the MK VI+.. and they come out with the MK VIII and MK VII+ Someone even said they're defunct

Where did you see MK VIII and MK VII+ ?

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #89 of 103
Jan 9, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #90 of 103
Dammit, now I want the Little Dot DAC_I with the MKVII(+?) and balance my ALO-780. But then when get some more Grado's, I will want another LD amp but this time a tube amp. Ahh I gotta get an income
biggrin.gif
I am in the market (budget $430aud right now) for an upgrade. Currently have ALO-780 (2 days old, absolutely WONDERFUL) with Furutech 1/4", Zero DAC coming from onboard using Coax and a Qinpu A-3. I want to go balanced in the future with Grado's and Ultrasone ALO-780. Should I just upgrade my Zero DAC to a Little Dot DAC_1 or get one of their balanced amps like the MKVII? I would rather get a balanced SS amp right now and keep my Qinpu A-3 if I ever want to go back that that warm tube sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back