Getting My Feet Wet With Balanced- MKVII Initial Impressions
Dec 18, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #61 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone has ever tried a 600 ohm impedance can with this amp, in balanced mode?
I've placed a order for the new T1, but I'm not entirely sure my MKVII will properly drive.

Cheers realmassy
beerchug.gif

I don't have any 600ohm cans but with the power on this amp, I'm sure it would drive them into submission with no probs...
biggrin.gif

Remember, there are 2 gain settings for the amp (low and high). The amp ships with low gain and that would be more than adequate for all cans. The high gain is for AKG K1000. Maybe when you receive your T1, you can try the high gain to see how it sounds. My highest ohm cans are Beyer and Senn (250 and 300) and it beats them down with no mercy, so I have no need for changing the gain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lh0628 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone used the LD DAC to hook up to powered speakers and see how that sounds?

I use the LD DAC_I with my Audioengine A5s also, through the WA2 pre-out....Sounds delicious....
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone has tried the K701 with the MK VII? I've already got the LD DAC so it is quite tempting to get the VII
regular_smile .gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone can try the JVC DX1000 driven by the VII (SE) then I would be REALLY grateful!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

lol...Two phones that I do not own, however, there has not been one phone yet that I have tried, that does not sound good. I even plugged in some Grados for the heck of it....However, once I went tubes with Grados, I can't go back to SS with them....
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #62 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheers realmassy
beerchug.gif

I don't have any 600ohm cans but with the power on this amp, I'm sure it would drive them into submission with no probs...
biggrin.gif

I've asked the same question to David, and he gave the same answer, so finger crossed I'll be fine. But your WA2 would be better :)

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #63 of 103
Quote:

I've asked the same question to David, and he gave the same answer, so finger crossed I'll be fine. But your WA2 would be better :)

I'm sure they'll sound wonderful...
dt880smile.png

Aahhh, the beauty of two outputs on a DAC. The slammin' solid state on one side and the lush tube love on the other....
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #64 of 103
@heatfan12
I've just noticed a slight hum using the MKVII and the DAC_I with the XLR input, with both the outputs. The hum is not constant, and seems to go from left to right...
confused_face(1).gif
No hum using the RCA input, and should not be an impedance problem, as I'm using some 250 ohm cans.
Any experience with that?

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #65 of 103
I also noticed humming on my unit using HD650s. The amp is connected via RCA cables to my EMU box, which is connected by coax to the PC. The constant, slight, hum presents itself around the 50 mark and gets audibly louder at 100 with no music playing. Swapped out the cheap coax cable and plugged in the USB cable and the humming noise decreases a small amount. I may suspect the really cheap interconnects are partially at fault, but will not be able to verify this claim until next week.

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #66 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may suspect the really cheap interconnects are partially at fault, but will not be able to verify this claim until next week.

I've got the same feeling: I've placed an order from BlueJeansCables for a pair of balanced interconnects. Hopefully this will sort it out

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #67 of 103
Quote:

@heatfan12
I've just noticed a slight hum using the MKVII and the DAC_I with the XLR input, with both the outputs. The hum is not constant, and seems to go from left to right...
confused_face(1).gif
No hum using the RCA input, and should not be an impedance problem, as I'm using some 250 ohm cans.
Any experience with that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also noticed humming on my unit using HD650s. The amp is connected via RCA cables to my EMU box, which is connected by coax to the PC. The constant, slight, hum presents itself around the 50 mark and gets audibly louder at 100 with no music playing. Swapped out the cheap coax cable and plugged in the USB cable and the humming noise decreases a small amount. I may suspect the really cheap interconnects are partially at fault, but will not be able to verify this claim until next week.

Hi guys,

Not the case at all with me. Black backround with all my phones including Denons and Ultrasones. I have several ICs including BJC's. At the moment I'm using these For only $6.29 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Premier Series XLR Male to XLR Female 16AWG Cable - Gold Plated - 3ft (Microphone & Interconnect) | XLR Male to XLR Female.

Never had any hum or noise with or without music playing and the volume turned up. I'm a bit anal retentive when it comes to noise, so it is always the first thing I check.

In the rear there is an "in" switch. Mostly I leave it at "1" for use with SE and balanced. I switch it to "2" (RCA only) when I listen to my CDP I have connected on the RCAs. I doubt that is an issue but might want to try switching and seeing.

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #68 of 103
For all you fellas thinking about buying this amp: DO IT, DO IT NOW!!!

Seriously, this is a phenomenal amp for an exceptional price. It drives all of my cans beautifully. The build quality is fantastic as well. Only complaint is the power+input switches are on the back.

In regards to hum/noise: Check your interconnects. Make sure they are properly shielded/grounded. I was initially using a 4 wire braided xlr and was getting some humming. It was very apparent on my Grados. I've switched to Canare star quad with the shield connected to pin 1 on both ends, and the noise floor is completely black now.

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #69 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've switched to Canare star quad with the shield connected to pin 1 on both ends, and the noise floor is completely black now.

My L46ES balanced ICs should get here next week and I hope that makes a difference. Also, I have a joke of a coaxial cable that needs to be replaced. Awaiting to hear how the 650s sound in balanced configuration.

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #70 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In regards to hum/noise: Check your interconnects. Make sure they are properly shielded/grounded. I was initially using a 4 wire braided xlr and was getting some humming. It was very apparent on my Grados. I've switched to Canare star quad with the shield connected to pin 1 on both ends, and the noise floor is completely black now.

That sounds good to me: the hum I hear actually is really slight, and I notice only on really quiet passages (and when my son is not crying!).
Joelby, you mean a cable like this?
Balanced Audio Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #72 of 103
No hum here,best way to check the amp is to plug it in with nothing attached except the phones,it should be silent.

If it does make a noise plug it into a separate circuit preferably with nothing else in line.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #73 of 103
Great news folks!
Today I received a pair of balanced interconnects from BlueJeansCables (BTW, quick delivery, and great quality at nice price), and the MKVII is now silent, dead silent. And more, I don't know whether it is just placebo effect or real improvement, but I've noticed a better separation and transparency in the music.
The more I listen to this amp the more I like it! This amp costs $399, has power to drive any headphone, the sound is rich of detail, transparent, clear. Add $269 for the DAC_I and you've got a complete balanced setup.
I used to listen with an eye always on my laptop because I wasn't completely involved, but now I switch it off and simply enjoy the music.

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #74 of 103
I asked Sword Yang about the availability of the MKVII and he said that the MKVII+ is in the works. It is a minor update with some improvements in circuit design and should be available soon (like in 2 weeks or so)

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #75 of 103
Yep,
Hopefully my name is on the list...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back