Geshelli J2S DAC and Sparkos SS2590 - YES!
Mar 30, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #32 of 79
It says SS3602 on the Geshelli site. Did they change it since you got your J2S?

https://geshelli.com/product/jnog2-socketed-j2s/
I ordered the better opamps from the Speakoa site. The SS3602 is wonderful but the other ones I got are to me the glorious sparkos sound just better in every way. You’ll be happy either way but I recommend getting the better ones. Make sure you get the dual opamps.

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #34 of 79
The SS2590 need to be purchased separately from Sparkos. To go that route, you would choose the cheapest option from Geshelli and swap them out yourself. They are much larger, so a tight fit.

Bought my J2S with the SS3602 and again, like it very much, but can’t resist trying other op-amps to see if I like them better. People seem to like the SS2590 more, so I bought one for the single ended output only. Broke it foolishly and am waiting for a new one (actually just a half of a new one. Will have it soon. The other hot shot contender is the new Burson V7. I currently have the V7V and find it more spacious sounding than the ss3602 but not as refined.

I have the 4493 chip and like it, but have never heard the 4499.

The cheapest option seems to be the OPA1656. But how easy is it to swap the op amps? It appears like it would be near impossible to get the board out to fix or swap anything.

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #35 of 79
More than impossible. You'll be buying a new case every time you roll op amps.
And you'll need power tools to crack the original case. Gotta break it in half, right down the middle into two evenly sized halves... just so. It's the safest way to avoid any vital internal componentry. Gotta factor new cases and tools into your budget. Welding goggles too.

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #36 of 79
More than impossible. You'll be buying a new case every time you roll op amps.
And you'll need power tools to crack the original case. Gotta break it in half, right down the middle into two evenly sized halves... just so. It's the safest way to avoid any vital internal componentry. Gotta factor new cases and tools into your budget. Welding goggles too.

Are you being sarcastic or is this true? Sometimes I honestly can't tell. I don't attempting to swap op amps if it's fairly easy to do.
I ordered the better opamps from the Speakoa site. The SS3602 is wonderful but the other ones I got are to me the glorious sparkos sound just better in every way. You’ll be happy either way but I recommend getting the better ones. Make sure you get the dual opamps.

I'll have to check that site out. Thanks.

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #37 of 79
All good. It's easy. You'll see.

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #38 of 79
Are you being sarcastic or is this true? Sometimes I honestly can't tell. I don't attempting to swap op amps if it's fairly easy to do.

I'll have to check that site out. Thanks.
Opening the case is simple - just remove the four screws on the back panel with an allen key and slide the inner board out (not even all the way out). The single-ended op-amp is easily accessible. If you also want to change the two for the balanced outputs, you may need extenders. I’m not sure about that.

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #40 of 79

I can't seem to find the ones you are mentioning. Could you please link the website? Thanks. Also I watched Zeos review of this DAC and he shows a dual op amp for the RCA output using some kind of adapter. Where can I find that? He doesn't seem to link it.

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #42 of 79
The Sparkos Labs web shop is here: Sparkos Labs.

Thanks. That's what I found earlier from the link on the Zeos video. But what op amps are you guys referring to that apparently sound "better" than what Geshelli offers?

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #43 of 79
Thanks. That's what I found earlier from the link on the Zeos video. But what op amps are you guys referring to that apparently sound "better" than what Geshelli offers?
Those would be the dual Pro SS2590 installed on DIP8 adapters to make them compatible with the DIP8 sockets on the J2S: SS2590s
These are $126 ea ready to go. (1) is needed for the RCA output and (2) for the balanced XLR. One needs only to fit them to the output type he intends to use.

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #44 of 79
Those would be the dual Pro SS2590 installed on DIP8 adapters to make them compatible with the DIP8 sockets on the J2S: SS2590s
These are $126 ea ready to go. (1) is needed for the RCA output and (2) for the balanced XLR. One needs only to fit them to the output type he intends to use.
Make sure you order the dual opamps. Each op amp from sparkos comes in either single or dual. Get the dual. You also need a cabled 8 pin opamp extender. The SS2590 is so big they can’t fit. Burson makes them.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #45 of 79
A great advantage of the J2S in comparison to the new Dayzee seems to be that it is possible to make the upgrade to the SS2590 for the RCA only for example.
According to feedback from Geshelli with the Dayzee all eight opamps must be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back