Geshelli J2S DAC and Sparkos SS2590 - YES!
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

TedB

New Head-Fier
Having enjoyed my recently upgraded J2S (AKM 4493/TI -> AKM 4499EX/Sparkos SS3602), I wondered about what the Sparkos SS2590 might bring to the picture. Already, I found the new AKM DAC and SS3602 to deliver much improved dynamics and greater soundstage depth than the previous configuration, both of which being immediately noticeable. Since then, I've seen a few install a dual SS2590 with DIP8 adapter on the single ended RCA output, which is easy to do. The only caveat I might offer is I found the fit on my board socket was not snug enough for my liking. I rectified that by first inserting a DIP8 adapter socket and the SS2590 into that. This improved the fit in my case, YMMV. The thing is, I use the SE output mostly to accommodate an xDuoo-TA26 tube headphone amp. I used balanced XLR for everything else.

Getting the dual SS2590s to fit the XLRs is more of a trick and Geshelli will (wisely) tell you it doesn't work. I was able to get the front unit to work by first inserting a DIP8 adapter, which raised the SS2590 enough to clear the two small radial electrolytics that otherwise interfere. All good there. The rear unit was the problem, but I was just able to make it work with a DIP8 extender (Ali Express or Ebay) and some careful bending. Because the top of this dongled SS2590 tends to brush against the J2S case, I placed a large square of Kapton insulating tape to guard against any possibility of electrical contact. Reinserting the board into the case needs to be done very carefully while inspecting to see that good pin contact is maintained at all points in that arrangement until the board is in place.

As for the results, let me just say that I was happy with the SS3502, but the SS2590 instantly delivers an additional, clearly audible improvement. What's the difference? Right off the bat I'm observing even bigger punch, dynamics, and greater bass weight than the SS3602 with more vivid transient clarity. If I had to do it all over, I would opt for the J2S with the default TI op amps and go this route. This is most likely the best configuration the J2S can be.

Attachments

• J2S-SS3602.jpg
    J2S-SS3602.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • J2S SS2590 DIP8 Socket Adapter.jpg
    J2S SS2590 DIP8 Socket Adapter.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • J2S SS2590 XLR.jpg
    J2S SS2590 XLR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • J2S-SS2590.jpg
    J2S-SS2590.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • J2S-SS2590(2).jpg
    J2S-SS2590(2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 78
Speak of the devil.
THIS I may shell out for.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 78
Having enjoyed my recently upgraded J2S (AKM 4493/TI -> AKM 4499EX/Sparkos SS3602), I wondered about what the Sparkos SS2590 might bring to the picture. Already, I found the new AKM DAC and SS3602 to deliver much improved dynamics and greater soundstage depth than the previous configuration, both of which being immediately noticeable. Since then, I've seen a few install a dual SS2590 with DIP8 adapter on the single ended RCA output, which is easy to do. The only caveat I might offer is I found the fit on my board socket was not snug enough for my liking. I rectified that by first inserting a DIP8 adapter socket and the SS2590 into that. This improved the fit in my case, YMMV. The thing is, I use the SE output mostly to accommodate an xDuoo-TA26 tube headphone amp. I used balanced XLR for everything else.

Getting the dual SS2590s to fit the XLRs is more of a trick and Geshelli will (wisely) tell you it doesn't work. I was able to get the front unit to work by first inserting a DIP8 adapter, which raised the SS2590 enough to clear the two small radial electrolytics that otherwise interfere. All good there. The rear unit was the problem, but I was just able to make it work with a DIP8 extender (Ali Express or Ebay) and some careful bending. Because the top of this dongled SS2590 tends to brush against the J2S case, I placed a large square of Kapton insulating tape to guard against any possibility of electrical contact. Reinserting the board into the case needs to be done very carefully while inspecting to see that good pin contact is maintained at all points in that arrangement until the board is in place.

As for the results, let me just say that I was happy with the SS3502, but the SS2590 instantly delivers an additional, clearly audible improvement. What's the difference? Right off the bat I'm observing even bigger punch, dynamics, and greater bass weight than the SS3602 with more vivid transient clarity. If I had to do it all over, I would opt for the J2S with the default TI op amps and go this route. This is most likely the best configuration the J2S can be.
Hmm. I may try the SS2590 with my 4493. I wonder how much of your initial improvement from 4493/TI to 4499/SS3602 was due to the 4499 vs the 3602?

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 78
Hmm. I may try the SS2590 with my 4493. I wonder how much of your initial improvement from 4493/TI to 4499/SS3602 was due to the 4499 vs the 3602?

Good question, and I've wondered the same. If what I've gathered from around the web is accurate, it seems there is a substantial audible difference between the 4493 and 4499EX, which follow two different architectures (the latter of course being a dual-chip setup and current based). On the other side, those who've upgraded from integrated op amps (regardless of device) to anything Sparkos report audible improvements. And of those, users who've upgraded from SS3602 to SS2590 insist the difference between those is not trivial. It is these reports that inspired me to take a chance and experiment. What I can say is the system I have here sounds better than it ever has, and this exercise was not a disappointment. I'll be spending much more than this on upgrading the crossovers in my speakers, and if the results are comparable, I'd be plenty happy.

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 78
The SS2590 is the best op amp in the world, at this moment in time, innit.

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 78
I have my J2 socketed on order. I got the 2509 on the RCA outs. They also let me upgrade to the taller Archel amp encloser to accommodate more height on the interior. Do you have part numbers for the DIP8 extenders?

The added height will help slightly, but you still need a removable DIP8 socket added to the existing socket closest to the XLR outputs to raise the height of the SS2590 so it clears the small electrolytic capacitors on the board. See this in my photos. As for the extender, you get one from this Ebay seller:
DIP8 Socket Extender

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 78
Out of shear ignorance on my part could you please list all parts needed? I would order 2 fully assembled SS2590 chips with Dip 8 adapters from either Geshelli or Sparkos. Plus just one of the link provided extenders?

The added height will help slightly, but you still need a removable DIP8 socket added to the existing socket closest to the XLR outputs to raise the height of the SS2590 so it clears the small electrolytic capacitors on the board. See this in my photos. As for the extender, you get one from this Ebay seller:
DIP8 Socket Extender

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 78
Out of shear ignorance on my part could you please list all parts needed? I would order 2 fully assembled SS2590 chips with Dip 8 adapters from either Geshelli or Sparkos. Plus just one of the link provided extenders?

To make this work, you need (3) dual SS2590s on DIP8 adapters ($126 X 3), one for the RCA and two for the XLR outputs. You need one DIP8 extender from the link I provided previously, and (1) DIP8 socket adapter:
DIP8 Socket Adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back