Geshelli J2S DAC and Sparkos SS2590 - YES!
Feb 7, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #17 of 78
Geshelli sent me the bigger size aluminum case, the same they use for the Archel 3 Pro. They also offer larger face plates for the DACs. This takes care of the difficulty everyone had with sliding it back in. Email them. They're super sweet. You still need the extensions like the Burson ones but it's MUCH easier to set up now.

I have the J2S4499EX with Sparkos dual SS2590 opamps on the XLR ourputs and the RCA output in the J2. The XLR ouptut is going to the Erish 3 Pro and the RCA is going to the FosiV3 amp which is running the dual SS3602 opamps. Seriously incredible desktop setup. Wild sound in such small package. VERY clear, amazing sound. Great with eveything I play. IEMs and headphones. Drives everything I have with no problem.

I've found a trio for my end game desk top set up that I truly doubt I will ever ghange. I like variety and am not always in the mood for the same sound. 1 - The afformentioned Geshelli stack, 2 - the Audio-GD R28 NOS (which is amazing btw), and 3 - the Chord Hugo 2. All three do different things but to me are equally incredible in their own worlds. I say that to show you just how amazing the pairing of Geshelli J2S 4499EX + Erish 3 pro with Sparkos dual SS2590 all the way though sounds to me.

What Geshelli has done with this dac is wild. The price point is bananas.

This is only what I hear so it's very subjective but there are many times when I chose the Geshelli stack over the Hugo 2 so do with that what you will. Call me a heretic or whatever you want but in my experince when we are only talking about sound, the Geshelli stack holds up to the other 2 I have on my desk as equals. It's just what flavor do I want at any given time.

Mar 17, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #18 of 78
You missed my post in October. I too enjoy the SS2590's in the J2

Attachments

• signal-2023-10-10-06-45-12-623.jpg
    signal-2023-10-10-06-45-12-623.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 0
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #19 of 78
Having enjoyed my recently upgraded J2S (AKM 4493/TI -> AKM 4499EX/Sparkos SS3602), I wondered about what the Sparkos SS2590 might bring to the picture. Already, I found the new AKM DAC and SS3602 to deliver much improved dynamics and greater soundstage depth than the previous configuration, both of which being immediately noticeable. Since then, I've seen a few install a dual SS2590 with DIP8 adapter on the single ended RCA output, which is easy to do. The only caveat I might offer is I found the fit on my board socket was not snug enough for my liking. I rectified that by first inserting a DIP8 adapter socket and the SS2590 into that. This improved the fit in my case, YMMV. The thing is, I use the SE output mostly to accommodate an xDuoo-TA26 tube headphone amp. I used balanced XLR for everything else.

Getting the dual SS2590s to fit the XLRs is more of a trick and Geshelli will (wisely) tell you it doesn't work. I was able to get the front unit to work by first inserting a DIP8 adapter, which raised the SS2590 enough to clear the two small radial electrolytics that otherwise interfere. All good there. The rear unit was the problem, but I was just able to make it work with a DIP8 extender (Ali Express or Ebay) and some careful bending. Because the top of this dongled SS2590 tends to brush against the J2S case, I placed a large square of Kapton insulating tape to guard against any possibility of electrical contact. Reinserting the board into the case needs to be done very carefully while inspecting to see that good pin contact is maintained at all points in that arrangement until the board is in place.

As for the results, let me just say that I was happy with the SS3502, but the SS2590 instantly delivers an additional, clearly audible improvement. What's the difference? Right off the bat I'm observing even bigger punch, dynamics, and greater bass weight than the SS3602 with more vivid transient clarity. If I had to do it all over, I would opt for the J2S with the default TI op amps and go this route. This is most likely the best configuration the J2S can be.
I went that route (balanced only) SS2590s and took the advice of a fellow poster and asked for the larger case. The larger case from Geshelli made this very easy with the flexible socket extenders formed to sit down in the appropriate openings. The weight of the dual chips was well supported by the wire cables of the extenders from making contact while providing a low profile able to slide out of the case with no issue. Stability support was provided by using small pieces of foam to wedge between the chip and supported by a nearby (non hot ) component on the board. As for the sound it is right on par with your specific assessments as I compare it to my other dacs. Greatly improved sound quality to my listening space and ears.

Thanks for everyone's contribution!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #20 of 78
Blew my first attempt at getting the SS2590 installed in the J2S. It just did not fit, and I broke off four of the pins! Buying a partial board (lower half) from Sparkos, and Andrew is suggesting i sand down the two boards to make it fit. Can't wait to try...
E45EBA7B-084F-40BB-8CDC-912FBF2ECFFC_1_201_a.jpeg

99087D88-99EB-46FF-8EEA-413942B003F0_1_201_a.jpeg

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #22 of 78
Yikes! That's interesting because I had no clearance issue on the single ended (RCA) output, but clearly a 1mm variance in either board or the jack would make all the difference.
Yeah, Andrew said, "It looks like you have an early version of the J2S, and subsequent versions have the socket slightly further back to allow for the PRO devices to fit."

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #23 of 78
I now have the SS2590 on all three op amp sockets. I actually get louder output from the RCA connection than I do on the XLR out put. My headphone amp is the Rupert Neve RNHP. I literally toggle between A for XLR and B for RCA inputs and the RCA is definitely louder. Would this issue be with the output on the J2S or the input on the RNHP?

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #24 of 78
I now have the SS2590 on all three op amp sockets. I actually get louder output from the RCA connection than I do on the XLR out put. My headphone amp is the Rupert Neve RNHP. I literally toggle between A for XLR and B for RCA inputs and the RCA is definitely louder. Would this issue be with the output on the J2S or the input on the RNHP?

This is not the first time I've seen this mentioned, and if memory serves correct, I believe it may have been Lachlan of Passion for Sound (YouTube) who mentioned it in evaluating the J2S with Sparkos SS3602s. If so, it wouldn't be the RNHP (I have one too), and most probably wouldn't notice unless they have the balanced and SE outputs going to the same destination.

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #25 of 78
My RCA out seems louder as well.

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #26 of 78
I hope this is the right thread to post this in. I was looking at the Jnog2 socketed to pair with the Archel 3 Pro and also my Feliks Echo Mk2. But I'm not sure which options to choose for the Op Amps and DAC chip. What do others here think is the best combination?

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #27 of 78
I hope this is the right thread to post this in. I was looking at the Jnog2 socketed to pair with the Archel 3 Pro and also my Feliks Echo Mk2. But I'm not sure which options to choose for the Op Amps and DAC chip. What do others here think is the best combination?
Personally I have the 4499 dac chip in my j2socketed. I love it. They offer a taller aluminum case which I got as well. From there you got the Soarkos Labs ss2590 opamps on all the outputs. I use Burson extenders to fit them. I love that combo. People report it to be warm but next to my Audio GD R28nos it’s not warm at all. It’s a good delta sigma sound to pair with the deeper warmer R2R sound from the Audio GD. I don’t feel it’s warm at all but I have read that compared to the other chipset offered in the j2socketed it is warmer.

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #28 of 78
Personally I have the 4499 dac chip in my j2socketed. I love it. They offer a taller aluminum case which I got as well. From there you got the Soarkos Labs ss2590 opamps on all the outputs. I use Burson extenders to fit them. I love that combo. People report it to be warm but next to my Audio GD R28nos it’s not warm at all. It’s a good delta sigma sound to pair with the deeper warmer R2R sound from the Audio GD. I don’t feel it’s warm at all but I have read that compared to the other chipset offered in the j2socketed it is warmer.

It says SS3602 on the Geshelli site. Did they change it since you got your J2S?

https://geshelli.com/product/jnog2-socketed-j2s/

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #29 of 78
Maybe he got them to send him the new aluminum case for the Archel 3 Pro.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #30 of 78
It says SS3602 on the Geshelli site. Did they change it since you got your J2S?

https://geshelli.com/product/jnog2-socketed-j2s/
The SS2590 need to be purchased separately from Sparkos. To go that route, you would choose the cheapest option from Geshelli and swap them out yourself. They are much larger, so a tight fit.

Bought my J2S with the SS3602 and again, like it very much, but can’t resist trying other op-amps to see if I like them better. People seem to like the SS2590 more, so I bought one for the single ended output only. Broke it foolishly and am waiting for a new one (actually just a half of a new one. Will have it soon. The other hot shot contender is the new Burson V7. I currently have the V7V and find it more spacious sounding than the ss3602 but not as refined.

I have the 4493 chip and like it, but have never heard the 4499.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back