Geshelli j2
Feb 14, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #123 of 169
I just didn't want a big brick on my desk. Also if I ever chose to sell it, it is something easier to sell with unit and ship.

Yes, my situation is different in that my DAC is part of a home audio setup, with everything in a rack and powered via a active line conditioner, so it's not a desktop unit. Also, the array of LPSs are not all created equal, and I bought what I did only following hours of research. That being said, if I ever decided to sell my J2S, it wouldn't be anytime in the near future and the 12V LPS would not be part of the package. I see now that I had actually posted a photo of my 5V LPS for my WiiM Mini streamer, which also makes a marked audible improvement for that device.

The iFi iPower X SMPS (not their cheaper unit), although spendy for what it is, has good reviews and is more easily transportable.

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #124 of 169
Yes, my situation is different in that my DAC is part of a home audio setup, with everything in a rack and powered via a active line conditioner, so it's not a desktop unit. Also, the array of LPSs are not all created equal, and I bought what I did only following hours of research. That being said, if I ever decided to sell my J2S, it wouldn't be anytime in the near future and the 12V LPS would not be part of the package. I see now that I had actually posted a photo of my 5V LPS for my WiiM Mini streamer, which also makes a marked audible improvement for that device.

The iFi iPower X SMPS (not their cheaper unit), although spendy for what it is, has good reviews and is more easily transportable.
I’ve become a believer in power supply upgrades. I added an LPS to power my phono stage and TT and was really surprised by the improvements it made in terms of lowering the noise floor and making everything sound more dynamic.

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #125 of 169
I too believe that power supplies have an effect. I do want to seriosuly add that there is absolutely nothing wrong about using the stock power supplies. The stock ones are great and work totally fine. Most companies, I know Geshelli does, use the exact same power supplies and cables they mail out with their devices when they test and design their devices. I say this because there are a lot of us that when we hear __________ improves the sound we begin to think this means that what we were previously using is all of a sudden rendered obsolete. Incorrect. Let's not think that way. As long as it makes the music and we feel the happy, it's working perfectly fine.

That said, I most definitely have hear sonic differences with clean power. To me a lot of this shows up in the detail, sound stage, and separation. I have the Geshelli stack of the J24499ex and Archel 3 pro so I got a this...

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...st_main.5.1cc51802m0RxCt&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

I'm not going to pay more than $100-$200 for a LPS for the devices because the J24499ex and Archel 3 pro already do a WILD amount of awesome for such a cheap price with the stock power supplies.

To me, instead of a great power supply, where I have heard the most sonic improvement from clean power is in getting power filters. The differences I have heard from getting a great power filter with multiple plugs and then using the stock power supplies that come from with the Geshelli products has been much greater than getting the LPS I put the link for above and plugging direct into the wall outlet. So what have always done in every room is first get great power filtering first. The two companies I use and have had great experinces with are Pine Tree Audio and Core Power Technologies.

https://sites.google.com/view/pine-tree-audio/devices/iso-power-15a-power-filter?authuser=0

https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/core-power-technologies-av

But there are many more comapnies that make good ones. I do not think that one needs to go crazy with many thhousands of dollars for this but it is easier to invest more in this because it can also benefit more than just one or two devices like most LPS does.

I do this because it cleans the flow of electricity and also offers outlets fot other devices. Yes it's more expensive than the Ali Express one but to me it's worth it 100%. It's the foundation. From there I'll chose to add or not add linear power supplies. WIth a solic foundaton of clean power the need to add LPS is less. It's much more of a want than a need at this point. After getting great power filtering if I wand I can just get a good LPS to get away from the switching power and not need to spend an extra hundreds on each device I end up getting to get them great power. The foundation is already in place, a good $100ish LPS has worked wonders in my house with with this set up. AND if devices have internal power supplies I am sure that they too are getting clean juice.

For what it's worth, this has been my expeirnce and I've found it to be so effective that its just how I set up every room. Not for everyone as I do live in Los Angeles so we have notoriously noisey power but its been great so far and I'm going to keep doing it.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #126 of 169
I can second the IFI power supplies with the J2S. I'm using the IPower Elite right now and it is a good deal better than the stock ps although probably overkill for the price. I used an IPowerX before this and that was also a good step up from stock. I would stop there if I were a normal person as the price to performance is much higher lol.

Also, I was using an RME ADI-2 Pro previously as my DAC. The RME is fantastic but purely for conversion purposes I would take the fully loaded JNOG over it. If you are looking to use the full functionality of the RME then you probably aren't looking at the JNOG anyways, so it's all about what you need.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #127 of 169
Finally got up the nerve to swap out the Sparkos SS3602 op-amp for the Burson V6V that the fine folks at Burson sent me for free, in exchange only for me writing my impressions here. I thought it would be much more difficult, as I have no experience in this area. I listen single-ended only, so there was only one to replace. Turned out to be super easy. Head-Fi'er @Dan DRC 's photos in his fine write-up helped quite a bit.

What with taking the unit apart etc., it's not like I could do A-B test listening, so going by general impressions and sense-memory. I already thought the J2S with the SS3602 was a great sounding DAC for the price. Is it even better with the Burson V6V? I'm not sure, but maybe. It still sounds great! The differences made by swapping the two different op-amps is not enormous, as this is the only change made in the whole chain.

Here goes, though: I feel like the 6V6 is giving me more instrument separation and a wider soundstage. More air, maybe? I'm loving the effect. Is the bass a tad bit woolier, though? Without being able to quickly swap back, I can't be sure. Midrange and treble are very clear and defined - more detailed perhaps, less smoothed out. Not sure which presentation I prefer yet (I usually prefer smooth over etched). But that bass...there may be a tad less meat on the bass-bone, or the meat is just a little loose. It's very slight and maybe my imagination or my mood/hearing/time of day.

Sometimes when I make a gear change, I am immediately displeased and go back to how I had it before. Not with this. The sound is making me want to live with it for a while. That's a very good sign. I have no idea if op-amps burn in or not. This listening is all being done fresh from the oven. Let's see how I feel next week! Thumbs up for now for the Burson V6V.

Next up (eventually) is the Sparkos SS2590, which I bought back on Black Friday for a good discount and have not tried yet. @TedB says this is the one. We shall see...or hear!

Feb 26, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #128 of 169
Thanks JerseyD, I think the wider soundstage is one of biggest advantages to the Burson V6 Vivid with the J2S (the Sparkos is no slouch either) and your impressions generally mirror mine. I would imagine the SS2590 would also be excellent and worth the little extra install steps as shown in @TedB posts. Out of curiosity what amp did you pair up with your J2S for your Burson V6 Vivid trial and did you try it with your Grado 500e?

Feb 27, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #129 of 169
Thanks JerseyD, I think the wider soundstage is one of biggest advantages to the Burson V6 Vivid with the J2S (the Sparkos is no slouch either) and your impressions generally mirror mine. I would imagine the SS2590 would also be excellent and worth the little extra install steps as shown in @TedB posts. Out of curiosity what amp did you pair up with your J2S for your Burson V6 Vivid trial and did you try it with your Grado 500e?
I was using the Icon HP8 Sig. amp and the ZMF Atrium and Verite. Have not tried the PS500e on it yet, but will today.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #130 of 169
Listened to the PS500e today with the J2S w/Burson 6V6 and Icon HP8. After letting my ears and brain adjust to the Grado sound, and applying some judicious EQ, things were sounding terrific. That lively treble Grado is known for was sparkling and splashing. Bass (after eq) was full and lovely. Mids were more recessed than I am used to on my ZMFs. Since I had not done much listening to the PS500e with J2S w/Sparkos, I cannot offer a comparison. Sorry about that.

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #131 of 169
Finally got up the nerve to swap out the Sparkos SS3602 op-amp for the Burson V6V that the fine folks at Burson sent me for free, in exchange only for me writing my impressions here. I thought it would be much more difficult, as I have no experience in this area. I listen single-ended only, so there was only one to replace. Turned out to be super easy. Head-Fi'er @Dan DRC 's photos in his fine write-up helped quite a bit.

What with taking the unit apart etc., it's not like I could do A-B test listening, so going by general impressions and sense-memory. I already thought the J2S with the SS3602 was a great sounding DAC for the price. Is it even better with the Burson V6V? I'm not sure, but maybe. It still sounds great! The differences made by swapping the two different op-amps is not enormous, as this is the only change made in the whole chain.

Here goes, though: I feel like the 6V6 is giving me more instrument separation and a wider soundstage. More air, maybe? I'm loving the effect. Is the bass a tad bit woolier, though? Without being able to quickly swap back, I can't be sure. Midrange and treble are very clear and defined - more detailed perhaps, less smoothed out. Not sure which presentation I prefer yet (I usually prefer smooth over etched). But that bass...there may be a tad less meat on the bass-bone, or the meat is just a little loose. It's very slight and maybe my imagination or my mood/hearing/time of day.

Sometimes when I make a gear change, I am immediately displeased and go back to how I had it before. Not with this. The sound is making me want to live with it for a while. That's a very good sign. I have no idea if op-amps burn in or not. This listening is all being done fresh from the oven. Let's see how I feel next week! Thumbs up for now for the Burson V6V.

Next up (eventually) is the Sparkos SS2590, which I bought back on Black Friday for a good discount and have not tried yet. @TedB says this is the one. We shall see...or hear!
When did they send them? What sucks is the V7s are out now. Now we need to know how they compare...

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #132 of 169
When did they send them? What sucks is the V7s are out now. Now we need to know how they compare...
They sent the V6V in May 2023. I don't think I will be looking to add any more op-amps to swap in beyond the three I now have

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #134 of 169
My V7V's will arrive today... I only bought 2. But I'm also using the SparkosLabs SS2590 Dual Pro's in all three sockets right now. And that... Well, that just sounds exactly as it should... Wonderfully Natural.

Not for nothing.. I might be listing my J2 fully loaded in walnut soon too.... Currently looking at the Holosound Cyan 2.

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #135 of 169
My V7V's will arrive today... I only bought 2. But I'm also using the SparkosLabs SS2590 Dual Pro's in all three sockets right now. And that... Well, that just sounds exactly as it should... Wonderfully Natural.

Not for nothing.. I might be listing my J2 fully loaded in walnut soon too.... Currently looking at the Holosound Cyan 2.
Been reading about the V7 as well, while considering the Cyan2 and the Audio-GD R1-NOS. At the same time, I still haven’t swapped in the SS2590 for the V6V (which replaced the SS3602). And then when I’m listening, I ask myself if I really will get much improvement with one of those new dacs. Very indecisive!

Let us know how the V7 does for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back