Geshelli Archel 3 Pro :: Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #18 of 68
The locking RCA connectors did fit...

Sounds better and better as I keep listening...

Attachments

• 20230615_212652.jpg
    20230615_212652.jpg
    983.5 KB · Views: 0
Jun 18, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #20 of 68
I think it sounds great... In my system, with my speakers and headphones. I like the presentation much more than the Schiit Magni+ Heretic. (that HPA/Pre is super clean and sounds good though). The A3 Pro definitely competes with other units upwards of $1000 like the Burson Soloist 3XP... But not really on par with things like the Burson Soloist GT.

STILL AMAZING THOUGH...

Here is the TLDR

I like it.. Well, to be fair. I have a thing for sparkos products. I use them, I enjoy them. I understand how they work and why they are the best op-amps. Specifically the SS2590 which is featured in the A3 Pro. Nothing comes close.

The Sparkos SS3602's however can run head to head with the Staccato and the Burson V6. So much so that in the end it comes down to preference and how your gear all syncs up. Even mixing Sparkos and Burson in a single unit can have amazing results.

Last year when the Aiyima A07 PRO came out, I started to communicate more and more with Andrew. Developing a rapport, we became audiofast friends. I began modifying that amplifier and we used 5 of his SS3602's in that. It sounds crazy good. It could be better though.

I used the SS3602 on my Aune X8 XVIII DAC. You can see IWI reviews talk about it on his video. Where he says adding the SS3602 makes it more like a $1000 DAC.

I then tried the Burson V6 Vivid. But then I saw some videos by Michael Bruce on YT and I was steared toward the SS2590 dual pro Dip 8 opamp. I put that in my DAC and everything changed. Everything was more! Improvements across the board. I posted about it on Head-fi in the Aune X8 XVIII DAC review thread.

So when Andrew told me about this partnership with Geshelli Labs and that this Archel 3 would have 2 SS2590 opamps... I knew I wanted to give it a shot. The SS2590 is in my opinion the best there is. That drove my purchase. I know how good the SS2590 is.

I now have SparkosLabs in all the main players of my rig. The DAC, the HPA/Pre and the Power Amp.

Side note on my future upgrades and other units I am testing.
I have two new FOSI V3's in the house and I am playing with different opamps with them. I may attempt to put some SS2590 dual pro opamps in these to complete my testing... But for now I am happy fooling around with the SS3602 and the Bursons. I am quite sure that I will find the SS3602 sounding more refined and natural over the V6 Vivid

So... Again it sounds great! I haven't really been able to burn it in fully, but I am using it as much as possible and things overall just keep getting sweeter.

But remember, I have a highly customized, augmented and upgraded rig. My Archel 3 Pro investment was near $820. ($50 on the wood choice) - A3 Pro + Linear Power Supply + Custom Teflon Silver Plated JSSG360 Star Quad DC cables, inline Supercapacitor and decent power cable for the LPS. This plays a role in reducing the noise floor a bit, probably only a 4% to 6% improvement over how good things already are in my rig though .

So my point is, it is harder and harder to detect the subtle differences now. This A3 Pro is replacing the Schiit Magni+ Heretic in my chain. I also replaced the Loki Mini+ with the Lokius for more control. I don't use the tone controls in the Archel and I leave it on the unity gain setting.

I think it sounds great... In my system/accessories, with my speakers and headphones. YMMV obviously.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #21 of 68
OK... I have one concern...

It seems my unit, with headphones plugged in... Still outputs a signal to my speakers amplifier.

@oldmankensey - When yours arrives, will you let me know, if your setup allows, if your unit also does this?

I reached out to Geno... But June-friggin-teenth is a thing.

Jun 23, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #24 of 68
I spoke to John at JDS Labs and this is the solution to the pre-out of the Geshelli not cutting off speakers.

I simply put this JDS Labs OL Switcher in the chain.

This unit is super transparent, as in nothing extra. It has no power, no amplification and it uses the Alps 10k pot. So logarithmic volume control here...

When I plug in my headphones to the Geshelli, I simply turn the volume knob to zero on the OL Switcher.

Problem solved. Yes an additional $45 bucks US. But a sublime - no BS, no noise solution.

Attachments

• 20230623_180736.jpg
    20230623_180736.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 26, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #26 of 68
got mine and initial impressions are mixed feelings;

I understand rules of the deal (get the item fast but pay for custom +50 USD and item will be one at hand previously made and sent to some testers)
however there are quality control issues.

Item is uneven so it is wobbling on flat surface, I tested without feets and it is the same so need to put a washer under one feet - could expect from chinese 50 USD amp but not hand crafted 550 one.

Tone option is really affecting the audio in a bad way. I am testing with IEMs right now but it shows all the errors that high impedance headphones might not catch.
Press this button and suddenly the audio substantially gets worse but the biggest problem are knobs treble/bass. These are made from metal so if you touch them during playback immediately you hear a noise.

I thought that gain button is there for extra juice of power but it turns out that even on sensitive headphones you need it as only with Gain on sound gets dynamics and authority.

Volume knob is OK and not affected by touching it however on start of the scale micro movements you hear problems with delivering power to both headphones at once.
It is not linear from silence to max volume, there is a range that is unusable and then it starts to get linear. With sensitive headphones you can also hear music on lowest knob position (so no way to mute the sound) and there is a crosstalk even if you don't select proper Input.

As for power plug I am a little bit disappointed as it looks very cheap and not on the level of device quality, I got better power supply with Xduoo MT-604.
Sure I have my linear power supply so doesn't care about power supply but expected something with more Amps than required from device.
If your device needs 1A then it is better to use 1.5A and above as otherwise you don't have a buffer and it matters.

BTW : It is a pity that you are unable to lower the intensity of leds around buttons as these are really bright.

From musical point of view it is really great sounding amp however I still compare how much difference there is between my Monolith portable.
I've tried to get Monolith as a pre-amp to Archel 3 amp but Archel kills some of low frequencies so bass is not as pronounced as when I plug
headphones directly to Monolith.

Archel is definitely great device but I need more time with it to know it better.

Jun 26, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #27 of 68
got mine and initial impressions are mixed feelings;

I understand rules of the deal (get the item fast but pay for custom +50 USD and item will be one at hand previously made and sent to some testers)
however there are quality control issues.

Item is uneven so it is wobbling on flat surface, I tested without feets and it is the same so need to put a washer under one feet - could expect from chinese 50 USD amp but not hand crafted 550 one.

Tone option is really affecting the audio in a bad way. I am testing with IEMs right now but it shows all the errors that high impedance headphones might not catch.
Press this button and suddenly the audio substantially gets worse but the biggest problem are knobs treble/bass. These are made from metal so if you touch them during playback immediately you hear a noise.

I thought that gain button is there for extra juice of power but it turns out that even on sensitive headphones you need it as only with Gain on sound gets dynamics and authority.

Volume knob is OK and not affected by touching it however on start of the scale micro movements you hear problems with delivering power to both headphones at once.
It is not linear from silence to max volume, there is a range that is unusable and then it starts to get linear. With sensitive headphones you can also hear music on lowest knob position (so no way to mute the sound) and there is a crosstalk even if you don't select proper Input.

As for power plug I am a little bit disappointed as it looks very cheap and not on the level of device quality, I got better power supply with Xduoo MT-604.
Sure I have my linear power supply so doesn't care about power supply but expected something with more Amps than required from device.
If your device needs 1A then it is better to use 1.5A and above as otherwise you don't have a buffer and it matters.

BTW : It is a pity that you are unable to lower the intensity of leds around buttons as these are really bright.

From musical point of view it is really great sounding amp however I still compare how much difference there is between my Monolith portable.
I've tried to get Monolith as a pre-amp to Archel 3 amp but Archel kills some of low frequencies so bass is not as pronounced as when I plug
headphones directly to Monolith.

Archel is definitely great device but I need more time with it to know it better.
Can you identify who had the unit before you? Perhaps their reviews could shed some light on things.

I'd be curious enough to even contact these folks. Also, probably a difficult task, but I bet Geno would be happy to look into your issues and rectify them. This might however be logistically impossible or cost prohibitive. Worth contacting them though. You are a paying customer after all. Your satisfaction should matter.

I actually had to open my unit up and tighten up those buttons on mine. They were "rattle" loose. Not sure If I posted this already.

Volume is an Alps 10k logarithmic pot from what I understand. It is not a linear pot. You are experiencing it working as it should, although it shouldn't be uneven levels at low volumes.

To be fair, I have some hearing loss in my right ear and I have to up that channel by a few DB to even things out... I won't be able to objectively test my unit for that.

As far as the Tone controls...
I thought I heard something myself when engaging tone controls... But I won't ever use those. I have my tone controls between my DAC and the A3. I will however check into this.

I will be replacing my knobs with custom wood knobs from a craftsman on Etsy. I will try to see if the Amp generates a tone on my rig now though. You never know. It could be a thing... It could be the end result of a mishap with reviewers. It could be your setup.

It definitely shouldn't be making noise when you touch the knob though.

And yeah... Those lights.. I run lights around me setup so they are now part of that... But yeah, BRIGHT!!!

And I too agree that the supplied power is Bad! It does the job.. I did plan for linear, supercap, etc... But when I saw that thing... I was definitely underwhelmed. It's like a phone charger for an old Nokia.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #30 of 68
as stated above, I don't know who had this item before but it's not as fancy as yours, they didn't even change the glass as I requested;
it looks kinda regular like basic one for 500;

for volume knob I might need to clarify myself so you would understand me correctly however I didn't experience anything like that with any other amp I had;
effect is similar like when you have loose contacts and electricity is not going thru like it should; silence or crack and micro movement and some sound appears;
but if you turn left to the max and leave it there then it is low but OK, there is this starting range that is problematic and above is OK

for potential buyers it is important to understand that Geshelli family are building devices for themselves and test on gear that they use
so they don't conduct testing on some professional testing hardware nor they own low impedance headphones;
if you happy with what they use personally you will be satisfied customer but otherwise there might be some areas not tested by them

I asked them about low impedance and initial response was OK and after night of thinking they emailed NOT OK so it really depends;
I don't see much problem with low impedance if you can live with the fact it is not dead silent amp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back