Germany. What do you associate with Germany?
Mar 3, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #152 of 240

Quote:
Headphone loudness in German is something like Kopfhörerlautstärke. It's insane.

It really is. But nevertheless, german is the dream language of every technician. Let me give you an example.

Imagine, you bought a new guitar, and that guitar was looking really fine, so that you decide to hammer a nail into the wall to hang that beautiful instrument onto so that you can look at it all the time. Regarding that nail, it's simply a "nail" in English (or pib or a bub or whatever). Now to german. It's no problem at all baptizing that plain nail thingy spontaneously as "guitarwallholder", that is correct german and (except the unintended technician language ridsiculousness) also accepted everywhere. But don't expect to find "guitarwallholder" in any dictionary...

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #155 of 240

Quote:
It really is. But nevertheless, german is the dream language of every technician. Let me give you an example.

Imagine, you bought a new guitar, and that guitar was looking really fine, so that you decide to hammer a nail into the wall to hang that beautiful instrument onto so that you can look at it all the time. Regarding that nail, it's simply a "nail" in English (or pib or a bub or whatever). Now to german. It's no problem at all baptizing that plain nail thingy spontaneously as "guitarwallholder", that is correct german and (except the unintended technician language ridsiculousness) also accepted everywhere. But don't expect to find "guitarwallholder" in any dictionary...

sorry, don't get the point

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #156 of 240
Volkswagen, Sauerkraut

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #157 of 240
Mar 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #158 of 240
Telefunken
Nurburgring
VW
Audi
ROOR

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #160 of 240
Many of the most famous modern philosophers like Nietzche, Heidegger, Schoppenhauer. Also, many of the most famous composers of classical music and a center for electronic music today. A culture that values function, and meaning, over form (maybe that's why the produce some of the greatest phillosophers and scientists/engineers?). Excellent beer. Also, the Audobon and awesome cars. I think I could live there.

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #161 of 240

Quote:
 I think I could live there.

Beware, the Jack-and-Joe german is a lot more grumpy and unfriendly than you spontaneous and open US folks. On the other hand, if you manage to get through to him, he will be very honest, and friendships have the tendency to last longer than elsewhere...

...but I think in that respect, we get beaten by the scandinavians, who are even more grumpy and lifetime-friendship-heavy.

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #162 of 240
Main associations with Germany: Philosophy. Fussball. An honest brewing tradition. Healthy multi-party politics. World-class engineering. Underrated (and rarely exported) wines. Grey skies.

... and there is the regrettable fact that US television programs, from Hogan's Heroes on down, locked too many people into ridiculously moronic sterotypes.

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #163 of 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Grey skies.

Not right now. There must be something wrong with the actual weather.

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #165 of 240
Mp3
Albert Einstein 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back