Germany. What do you associate with Germany?
Feb 20, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #121 of 240
Quote:
What's German for Churro?

biggrin.gif

I would call it Berliner(-Krapfen). But it has another shape and is filled with jam.

In parts of East-Germany a Pfannkuchen is the same as a Berliner/Krapfen.

Where I am from (north-western Germany) a Pfannkuchen is a pancake, in Low-German it is called Pannkoken.

And what we call Pfannkuchen the others call Eierkuchen.

Confused now?!
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #123 of 240
and let's not forget the german Inspector Harry, he's been on french TV every afternoon for the past 30 years or so:

derrick.jpg

They've recently tried to remaster it, but strangely they haven't messed w/ the greenish colorimetry at all...the only thing they've done is using some poorly configured generic DNR that smears the picture completely. But I think video noise looks ugly on cheap 6-bit dithered LCD screens, so that would explain their choice.

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #125 of 240

Quote:

In parts of East-Germany a Pfannkuchen is the same as a Berliner/Krapfen.

>> Where I live a Pfannkuchen as known as "Übers Knie gerollt" has nothing to do with a Krapfen :)))

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #126 of 240

Quote:
leeperry said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

and let's not forget the german Inspector Harry, he's been on french TV every afternoon for the past 30 years or so:

They've recently tried to remaster it, but strangely they haven't messed w/ the greenish colorimetry at all...the only thing they've done is using some poorly configured generic DNR that smears the picture completely. But I think video noise looks ugly on cheap 6-bit dithered LCD screens, so that would explain their choice.

I know the French like him... Derrick... but I don't know why... he's so booooooring...

Some of the French comedy is great... Neuf mois, Les visiteurs, Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis, Taxi 2, Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain, etc. are great films.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #127 of 240
so Horst Tapper isn't a legend in Germany as well?
ienchangel.gif

well, he's only being played on the government owned channel for elder ppl...and it's a great filler I guess.

Another thing I find greatly annoying in France and Germany is that everything's dubbed...I really can't stand dubs. It sounds ridiculous, and -like it or not but- english is the international language..german hasn't been for a while, and french hasn't been since the mid 20th century.

Learn english or pass up on a lot of things, plain simple...the dutch don't dub movies, and they all speak more or less fluent english. The french and the germans don't, because they're too cool for that. We even have laws to forbid using english words in french written press.

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #128 of 240

Quote:

Learn english or pass up on a lot of things, plain simple...the dutch don't dub movies, and they all speak more or less fluent english. The french and the germans don't, because they're too cool for that. We even have laws to forbid using english words in french written press.

I totally agree with you.

But I often think this is because our governments want to keep us dumb... and -at least in Germany- many people really are...

I have lived for a long time near the Dutch border in Germany and so I could watch Dutch TV... and by that I learned a bit English and Dutch... :)

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #129 of 240

Quote:
I totally agree with you.

But I often think this is because our governments want to keep us dumb... and -at least in Germany- many people really are...

Are what?? I dont think to start talking like that is good..

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #130 of 240

Originally Posted by Nordwestlicht /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I often think this is because our governments want to keep us dumb...

Well, they wanna make damn sure that their citizens cannot work abroad so they can pay their taxes in their native country.

In France, the tax office doesn't make any money on rich ppl(due to fiscal niches) nor on poor ppl(due to social benefits)...but they make a hell lot of money on all the ppl in-between. And since the EURO currency has been introduced, EEC has been sinking big time. They want their people to pay for their own mistakes.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #131 of 240

Quote:

Well, they wanna make damn sure that their citizens cannot work abroad so they can pay their taxes in their native country.

In France, the tax office doesn't many any money on rich ppl(due to fiscal niches) nor on poor ppl(due to social benefits)...but they make a hell lot of money on all the ppl in-between. And since the EURO currency has been introduced, EEC is sinking big time. They want the people to pay for their own mistakes.

Hm..no I dont think so. I ve paid for all my mistakes and yeahhh I pay a lot for the state. EEC is good IMO, In consequence to $US it is quite good or other side quite bad :). I stopped hearing sth. bout the "quality" of my money because I am living right now and what I earn is what I buy..

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #132 of 240
Originally Posted by leeperry 

although i find it worse with french and i meet french people every day.

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #133 of 240
Quite surprised about the positive "brand image" Germany seems to have these days. I'm personally more of the critical camp though, must be the age (*1966). Goethe is as much part of my personal german identity as Auschwitz is.
ph34r.gif
And I think Germans should stick to their engine building sort of engineering. The Asians are just so much better when it goes to electronical stuff (has anybody ever worked with a good Siemens mainboard?)

And I'm deeply ashamed that crap like Scooter & the Scorpions are of german origin...
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back