Germany. What do you associate with Germany?
Feb 19, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #94 of 240

In norwegian it's 'sommerfugl' (sommervögel, a good example of how related german and the nordic languages are), literally meaning summer-bird. I think that's pretty nice.

English is a germanic language AFAIK. French used to be the international language before english was, and it's leaked into many languages but the german influence is much bigger and more ancient...basically all european languages are either latin or german based.

Funnily enough, the italians call latin "italiano classico"...to them, it's the same language.

English: Butterfly 
Spanish: Mariposa
German: Schmetterling

German is the language of love...or something 
spirousorus.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #95 of 240

Quote:

English is a germanic language AFAIK. French used to be the international language before english was, and it's leaked into many languages but the german influence is much bigger and more ancient...basically all european languages are either latin or germanic based.

English is germanic? But what about the French/Latinate roots in English words, such as all those ending with "-tion"?

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #96 of 240
Feb 19, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #97 of 240
I love this thread :)

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #98 of 240
leeperry: Yes I know that, and I glanced at what Wikipedia had to say. I'm just surprised and I was hoping to hear why it is, or at least why you think it has been classified as such.

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #99 of 240
Why english is a Germanic language?
Quite simply because when the germanic tribes expanded and populated britain about A.D. 450, they brought along with them their language.
Then divergent evolution resulted in bigger and bigger differences between the languages.
Through trade and war with Normans, and later conquest, and other latin people new words began to accumulate. Monks and missionaries contributed a bit, but the big bulk of new words came during the renaissance, when ideas were floating freely.
Then there are smaller contributions from e.g Arabic (mattress), Hindu (pajamas) and Old Norse (window)

Altogether this and a bit more makes up what is to-day English.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #103 of 240
Why dont starting to talk german in this thread ???? :)

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #104 of 240

Quote:
yeah......Burg Neuschwanstein.....
rolleyes.gif

nice place, but quiet windy up there.

i have been there twice.

how long did it take u to build that puzzle?

I never actually built that one specifically, had a chance to pick one up for cheap years ago, still kinda regret not doing so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back