Germany. What do you associate with Germany?
Mar 9, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #181 of 240
I think he is talking bottle size. We all learned about Jägermeister from our college years in the states.

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #183 of 240

Quote:
I love those German feather blankets--so thick it looks like a huge pillow.

I personally regard those blankets (together with our Schwarzbrot) as the most desirable of our typical german achievements. Bread and blankets abroad (or what they regarded as such) were the things which caused most homesickness attacks for me personally.

It's a similar thing as ordering a good tea outside of britain or a good coffee outside of italy, it's just hopeless. Or trying to get a car in the US which is economical and well build, and can go through corners
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #184 of 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchen
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or trying to get a car in the US which is economical and well build, and can go through corners
evil_smiley.gif

I take offense, sir, as I strongly support the US car industry.
That said the Mercedes T-80 is awesome.

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #185 of 240

Quote:
I personally regard those blankets (together with our Schwarzbrot) as the most desirable of our typical german achievements. Bread and blankets abroad (or what they regarded as such) were the things which caused most homesickness attacks for me personally.

It's a similar thing as ordering a good tea outside of britain or a good coffee outside of italy, it's just hopeless. Or trying to get a car in the US which is economical and well build, and can go through corners
evil_smiley.gif

Agreed, Deutschland makes fantastic bread, and also great wurst. (no experience on the blankets though)
The tea and coffee in Holland is very fine though, some English supermarket teas are awful, I'd rather have our Dutch brands.

I only buy German cars....

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #186 of 240
Nazi's not saying Germans are Nazis just that I am fascinated by German history. I also think of the autobahn, sennheiser, akg, BMW beer and my old best friend who comes from Germany.

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #187 of 240

Quote:
Nazi's not saying Germans are Nazis just that I am fascinated by German history. I also think of the autobahn, sennheiser, akg, BMW beer and my old best friend who comes from Germany.

AKG is Austrian...

Mar 11, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #189 of 240
Austria and Germany are very different in respect of Nazism. Germany has "worked" severely on its past since 1968, and thus the ultra-right approach is an absolute no-go nowadays (except some underdeveloped redneck areas in former communist east germany). Austria on the other hand, which had participated enthused 1:1 in all WW2 and Auschwitz cruelties, never looked back. In fact they rather regard themselfes to be Nazi victims as well. That doesn't hold them back from voting 30% or more to ultra-right and xenophobic parties...

BTW, Hitler came from Austria, and Beethoven didn't... 
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #193 of 240

Quote:
BTW, Hitler came from Austria, and Beethoven didn't... 
evil_smiley.gif

So did Mozart, Strauss, Haydn, Shubert, Mahler, Glock, Lauda, Berger, Porsche, Metternich, Kissinger, Maximilian I, Menger, Hayek, Schumpeter, Wittgenstein, Doppler, Schroedinger, Asperger, Freud, Frisch, Lorenz, Puck, Shindler, Weisenthal.  Beethoven studied in Vienna too as did everyone worth their salt in Western Europe.  
wink.gif

Quote:
am i the only one that thinks Holy Roman Empire?

Yes and no.  Depends on how and if you define Germany as a nation-state at the time.  HRE is also Austria and Hapsburgs.  Then you have Charlemagne and the Franks.  You can also go back to Alaric and the Goths after the sack of Rome.  The whole German/Austrian divide goes back to Teutons v. Goths and perhaps a hint of Slav.  Anywho..... 

Quote:

Funny this thread comes up, as I was just fantasizing some deep roasted ham hocks that they have in Bavaria, to go along with my beer.

You mean Eisbein.  Preferably w/ a dunkel for me.  Don't forget the Apfelstrudel.

images
images

Btw, I still consider Bavaria an Austrian vassal state.  
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #194 of 240
You must be of EU origin, or abnormously well educated (or both). I doubt that all is general knowledge in CA...

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #195 of 240

Quote:
You must be of EU origin, or abnormously well educated (or both). I doubt that all is general knowledge in CA...

There are a few Americans who are well educated.  For instance, everything he said about the HRE was taught in my public high school.  We had enough history geeks that we actually had a mock election for Holy Roman Emperor.  It started out as a joke but morphed into an election where a third of the students voted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back