Geordie in Japan
May 24, 2016 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Geordiepete

Head-Fier
Hi, I'm Peter,

Very new to hifi. Just bought a Fiio M3 and some JVC HA-FXZ200 iems. I use a MacBook (2015, 12") and have just loaded XLD and VOX.

I want to get good quality sound from this set up, so need to be careful about what I input. Interested in DSD, esp. Bill Evans Some Other Time: The Lost Black Forest Sessions. The Fiio M3 can't play DSD. What is the thing to do? Convert to FLAC with XLD? I tried doing that, and the result is squeals and noise that does not sound like music at all, ore like a modem signal! Any suggestions?

Probably the Fiio M3 is best for playing albusm ripped from my CD collection to FLACS. Is that about right?

All the best,

Peter

May 25, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 10
  Hi, I'm Peter,

Very new to hifi. Just bought a Fiio M3 and some JVC HA-FXZ200 iems. I use a MacBook (2015, 12") and have just loaded XLD and VOX.

I want to get good quality sound from this set up, so need to be careful about what I input. Interested in DSD, esp. Bill Evans Some Other Time: The Lost Black Forest Sessions. The Fiio M3 can't play DSD. What is the thing to do? Convert to FLAC with XLD? I tried doing that, and the result is squeals and noise that does not sound like music at all, ore like a modem signal! Any suggestions?

Probably the Fiio M3 is best for playing albusm ripped from my CD collection to FLACS. Is that about right?

All the best,

Peter

There's plenty of top class PCM recordings, why bothering with DSD when you own a pretty capable PCM player?

May 25, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks Me x3. 

Good idea. I am v. new to this, so will look for PCM instead. However, I bought that Bill Evans download, so want to be able to hear it in my portable device (FiiO M3)!

Peter

May 25, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 10
  Thanks Me x3. 

Good idea. I am v. new to this, so will look for PCM instead. However, I bought that Bill Evans download, so want to be able to hear it in my portable device (FiiO M3)!

Peter

You'll find top class recordings from Chesky Records, LINN, 2L, SoundLiaison, etc...

Do you have split tracks or a single file for Bill Evans' album?

May 25, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 10
Welcome to Head-Fi Peter. Some of us members are here in Japan too (most in Tokyo but some up in Sendai, and some down south in Fukuoka). Hope to meet you some time.

May 25, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks AnakChan. In Matsue, very peaceful here! Looking at XLD, it seems to have strong Japanese connections (someone called Kuman gave the icon, and the website looks like it was translated from nihongo).

Peter

May 25, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 10
  The album is split into tracks. Still struggling with trying to get XLD to convert DSD to FLAC, or anything playable on the FiiO M3.

I think you should be able to convert it using foobar2000 and maybe one or two plugins.
If you can upload the shortest song to dropbox or google drive I can download it, try that for you and upload the PCM version so you can download it.

Otherwise you'll need to install foobar2000 with the converter component, get and install the sacd plugin, then try using the converter.

May 25, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 10
Only have Mac OS X, not Windows, and don't think Foobar is available for Mac.

After work I could upload a track to GDrive or Dropbox. How do I find your email to share the link? Then again, if you don't use Mac, letting me know how to convert DSD on Windows might not help me so much--although I could always look for an equivalent program.

Peter

May 25, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 10
  Only have Mac OS X, not Windows, and don't think Foobar is available for Mac.

After work I could upload a track to GDrive or Dropbox. How do I find your email to share the link? Then again, if you don't use Mac, letting me know how to convert DSD on Windows might not help me so much--although I could always look for an equivalent program.

Peter

I'm not using Mac since a few years now, I'll need further investigation to help you.
I think you can send me the link via Private Message here on Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back