general unhappiness with the M9
Oct 24, 2010 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

omgitsoop

Head-Fier
I got some meelectronic m9's off amazon a few weeks ago to replace the stock earbuds for my galaxy s that I managed to leave on a plane. My goal was to find some decent sounding cheap buds that I wouldn't be heartbroken over if I lost, but considering the reviews I figured they get on here I figured they would blow the cheapo samsung earbuds from previous out of the water, and honestly they just dont. Out of the box the cord had several semi permanent kinks, and the cord just generally seems to like to tangle itself, I put them in my pocket often at work and even if I wrap them up nicely they always come back out tangled or kinked, something the stock buds and my visangs never do. But honestly my biggest complaint is the sound, I just can't get over the harshness of the treble! It definately goes higher and lower than the stock buds, but its not a pretty picture. It seems to have a flat response for most lower notes, until the deepest notes then it BOOMS. The highs on the other hand are just harsh, I noticed it right out of the box on my home amp. I let them play at home for two days thinking maybe it would soften a little but no. The "balanced" buds toned it down a little, and I picked up some sony hybrid tips that also helped, but the harshness is still there in a big way, on almost everything I listen to, but most notably on metal (what I listen to most at work). On really technical parts the highs just turn into a mess of garbled hiss and crunch, its physically painful to try and listen to these things just hiss in my ear.

I read all the positive reviews and I feel like I must be doing something wrong hereo, or got a defective pair. Im not really trying to deter anyone else from trying these since there seems to be so many other happy customers. All my other headphones have their own little sound quirks that over time I came to appreciate, but I'm hitting a brick wall with these.

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 5
To be honest, some Sumsung stock earbuds are not actually that bad sounding. M9 is a great $20 buy and should easily blow most other $20 IEM out there in the market, but it is not the be-all-end-all. The real question is, is that Sumsung earbuds really worst than $20 IEM out there? In any case, I'll suggest you find a small piece of foam, perhaps just larger than the nozzle hole of the M9, and stuff it in. You might want to try a few different size to find the best size for your liking. This should help tuning the treble down a bit.

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 5
I did not like the M9 or M6 and returned both to Amazon. Both were far too sibilant, even after my customary 200+ hours of burn-in. Although some people seem to like these, neither had decent bass and were just to treble-centric, which both did badly. I never heard so much screeching in my life, I was truly disapointed. My V-Moda Vibes sound far better than the M6 and M9. After having to return the M6 and M9, I promised myself I would spend a couple more dollars on good IEM's. 

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 5
I recently received my M6's and I can safely say that I have never heard anything worse in my life. The U shape is extreme. Even with a 8 dB boost on the mids, there is still an U shape. The bass is bloated and messy. The treble has no detail. The mids are non existent. The sound is nasal. The only thing going for these is that they are extremely comfortable to wear and dissapear from your head. The seal is easy to obtain. I am going to try to return these back to MEElectronics though unless someone here wants to buy them from me. They have less than 1 hour total.  

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 5
thats how i felt, the samsung earbuds were the first iems id ever really used and i was really impressed by them, and i figured it was only uphill from there. guess not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back