Geek Wold Discussion
Aug 24, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #1,081 of 1,620
Latest update on my GK10. A week ago the output dropped severely and there was very little bass. I contacted Penon and after a somewhat lengthy correspondence they agreed to replace my pair. Amusingly, I have to smash them and send them a picture of the broken IEMs! Perhaps I will get a good set this time.

Aug 24, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #1,082 of 1,620
Latest update on my GK10. A week ago the output dropped severely and there was very little bass. I contacted Penon and after a somewhat lengthy correspondence they agreed to replace my pair. Amusingly, I have to smash them and send them a picture of the broken IEMs! Perhaps I will get a good set this time.
Makes me smile. Have you got a sledgehammer?

Aug 24, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #1,083 of 1,620
Here are my GK10s: I am broken hearted, lol!

Attachments

• IMG_20210824_115545.jpg
    IMG_20210824_115545.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 24, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #1,084 of 1,620
Any possibility to take off the DDs and show how the piezo drivers look like? 😊

Aug 24, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #1,085 of 1,620
This is one of the reasons why I don't particularly care very much to distinguish between electrostatic, magnetostatic, and electret drivers when companies start including the word EST in their listings. They're all related technologies, so all that really matters to me is whether or not the result sounds good. Piezoelectric drivers, on the other hand, aren't really the same thing, so it is a bit problematic when people try to claim them as EST drivers. As for driver materials, I do wish that more companies would be a bit more honest about what they're made of. "Bio-cellulose", so paper or maybe rayon? "Carbon nanotube" so resin impregnated carbonized cellulose? There's also a huge difference in the performance characteristics associated with drivers coated with metal through vapor deposition and those made with stamped metal foil. Vapor deposited metal on a plastic film will still predominately behave like the structural material unless the layer of metal deposited is very thick, which is unlikely in a typical vapor deposition application. I really like how a lot of loudspeaker driver manufacturers are super specific about their driver composition, so having so many IEM manufacturers be a little dodgy about what their drivers are and what they're made of makes me a bit sad.

I see four driver categories on the market right now:

1) loudspeakers coated in alien pixie dusts
2) balanced armature secretly mined from comets
3) things pretending to be planars
4) things pretending not to be door buzzers

:p

Too bad about them going dead, but I've got to say that the soldering here on yours looks to have been a big step up compared to the pictures of the other pair that was opened up.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #1,088 of 1,620
Aug 24, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #1,089 of 1,620
I have tried to extract the DDs but they are firmly glued into a plastic surround and I could not get them out. Perhaps someone else has a dud set thay can open up.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #1,090 of 1,620
The right side of my pair had a rattling sound at higher volume, and Penon asked me to return them via USPS with the least expensive service with tracking and they would reimburse me. They have finally acknowledged receiving them and are returning them to Geek Wold for evaluation, but I'm still trying to get a response from Penon regarding the shipping costs. This is my first time buying from them, and I can't say I'm real happy with the service. I would have much preferred them replacing the headphones and me destroying the original ones.

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #1,092 of 1,620
Many thanks for letting me know this must have iem.
Listening gk10 with an 8core pure silver plated cable from Xinhs and w2.

IMG_20210824_165357.jpg

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #1,093 of 1,620
YThe right side of my pair had a rattling sound at higher volume, and Penon asked me to return them via USPS with the least expensive service with tracking and they would reimburse me. They have finally acknowledged receiving them and are returning them to Geek Wold for evaluation, but I'm still trying to get a response from Penon regarding the shipping costs. This is my first time buying from them, and I can't say I'm real happy with the service. I would have much preferred them replacing the headphones and me destroying the original ones.
Yes, they did seem a little reluctant to help at first but after further discussion I achieved a resolution.

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #1,094 of 1,620
Thank you. I had the KB100 on my list. I'll check out the other BQEYZs you mentioned.
KB100 is truly a gem. It's my go to hybrid till date with perfect balance of technicality, tonality, timbre and musicality.

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #1,095 of 1,620
* What type of cable should I use? Im not a cable believer, but I own a good couple of cables to try them on.
* Best kind of tips? (I dont own CP360)

The best matched cable and tips for me are KBEAR Inspiration-S 4 Core 4N Single Crystal Copper Silver Plated and Sedna Earfit.
The cable is slightly more expensive than the GK10 though LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back