Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #13,621 of 13,800
With busted USB receiver, it's now official :o2smile:...

Now have a new toy to play.

BpOoOiRl.jpg

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #13,622 of 13,800
Still no response as to the issues with my X infinity DAC. It seems to have some issue with the software, as the display shows "ovf dB" instead of "-33 dB" for an example of volume. The volume cannot be adjusted and it is so low it is just slightly audible. I basically have a useless box here that has some issue that would seem to be firmware related. It is a shame I have no response from LH Labs or Stuck Limo in regards to my firmware. I would really like this to be a DAC/amp, not just a box.

The right half of the display of my Infinity X has faded to the point of being unreadable and has been that way for over a year. The engineer really settled on some very inferior parts. That individual has lost all respect from multiple perspectives.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #13,623 of 13,800
The right half of the display of my Infinity X has faded to the point of being unreadable and has been that way for over a year. The engineer really settled on some very inferior parts. That individual has lost all respect from multiple perspectives.
I have been told again and again by their representative that they are waiting on a response in regards to my problem from their office. I am essentially being told my $1000 DAC is not worth making an actual call, instead we wait on a response email for multiple months, even as I reach back out, and am given the same response. When I get the money to get some other gear I will gladly do so. I'm pretty damn disappointed. QC and customer service is much more questionable than the engineering IMO, since I think these units do sound really excellent.

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #13,625 of 13,800
I have been told again and again by their representative that they are waiting on a response in regards to my problem from their office. I am essentially being told my $1000 DAC is not worth making an actual call, instead we wait on a response email for multiple months, even as I reach back out, and am given the same response. When I get the money to get some other gear I will gladly do so. I'm pretty damn disappointed. QC and customer service is much more questionable than the engineering IMO, since I think these units do sound really excellent.
I would not waste any time in dealing with the company, don't think Mr. Ho will be able to comeback to the Hifi U.S. market. Maybe in Asia, but even there I think his reputation has taken a fatal blow, and the "developer of the greatest DAC in the world" won't work anymore. So sad for all of us that were fooled. And for the mastermind Gavin ummm he should find another industry to work on.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #13,626 of 13,800
How good is the actual dac and headphone amp in this?

I got my hands on one, before I even knew about this thread or problems with it.....just bought it on a whim.

Paid $480 (us) brand new for it.

I been playing with the filters TCM is cold and sterile and FRM (which I prefer) isn't amazing either. A normal linear filter would have been nice.

Not sure to keep it or sell it.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #13,627 of 13,800
How good is the actual dac and headphone amp in this?

I got my hands on one, before I even knew about this thread or problems with it.....just bought it on a whim.

Paid $480 (us) brand new for it.

I been playing with the filters TCM is cold and sterile and FRM (which I prefer) isn't amazing either. A normal linear filter would have been nice.

Not sure to keep it or sell it.
For what it’s worth, I think it’s the DAC part that excels. Mine is the infinity version with a linear power supply. I personally quite like that system as a balanced DAC

Aug 11, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #13,628 of 13,800
So I retrieved my USB fried Geek Pulse Infinity from the trash can....:expressionless:

REASON...I have a problem with my new Audiobyte Hydra.Vox + Zap stack. It's giving me these occasional loud pops/crack during PCM->DSD / DSD->PCM transitions.
The developer said that it needs a firmware update + a DC offset adjustment (don't know what it means). Anyway since its summer, so things are on hold.

For the meantime I have a Singxer F-1 to connect it to SPDIF 2 :grin: (SPDIF 1 is fried too).

f28fUgql.jpg

So continue the beautiful music!

For those are curious why "fried": An assumption when one afternoon I saw and heard a pop/spark at the back of my LPS4. And noticed my custom Revelation Labs cable wire was loose at its socket connector. Tried powering my Geek Pulse Infinity with a regular cable but its USB disconnects after some time. Same as its SPDIF 1.

Aug 14, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #13,629 of 13,800
So I retrieved my USB fried Geek Pulse Infinity from the trash can....:expressionless:

REASON...I have a problem with my new Audiobyte Hydra.Vox + Zap stack. It's giving me these occasional loud pops/crack during PCM->DSD / DSD->PCM transitions.
The developer said that it needs a firmware update + a DC offset adjustment (don't know what it means). Anyway since its summer, so things are on hold.

For the meantime I have a Singxer F-1 to connect it to SPDIF 2 :grin: (SPDIF 1 is fried too).

f28fUgql.jpg

So continue the beautiful music!

For those are curious why "fried": An assumption when one afternoon I saw and heard a pop/spark at the back of my LPS4. And noticed my custom Revelation Labs cable wire was loose at its socket connector. Tried powering my Geek Pulse Infinity with a regular cable but its USB disconnects after some time. Same as its SPDIF 1.

Oh, if Mr. Ho had only used the standard, round 2.1mm, DC connectors at both ends, that might not have happened. Unicorns and rainbows would have been nice too, but I digress. Those tiny molex connectors, used on the LPS4 side, are just too small and problematic and the same thing happened to my Revelation cable too, only it was not plugged in at the time. The wire Revelation used is pretty stiff and with such a small connector, it is the weak link.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #13,630 of 13,800
LHL deploying the Molex was a head scratcher from the beginning. Like some others who have posted to this thread, my Revelation Audio connector breaking correlated with my Xfi amp going dead.

After my Xfi broke, my experience with the Geek Pulse campaign soured me on computer audio, and for years I just used the headphone out on my iMac to connect my headphones and studio monitors. I'm now ready to create at least a nice office system. Some questions for those of you who also had their Xfi die:

1) What did you replace it with?
2) Can the LPS be repurposed with another Amp? Is 12V a fairly common DC voltage for such devices?
3) Has anyone tried to use the LHL split 2G USB cable with the LPS and another AMP?
4) IF the LPS can still be used, anyone know of a source for a longer Molex/Power cable?

Thanks for any input.

Oh, if Mr. Ho had only used the standard, round 2.1mm, DC connectors at both ends, that might not have happened. Unicorns and rainbows would have been nice too, but I digress. Those tiny molex connectors, used on the LPS4 side, are just too small and problematic and the same thing happened to my Revelation cable too, only it was not plugged in at the time. The wire Revelation used is pretty stiff and with such a small connector, it is the weak link.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #13,631 of 13,800
LHL deploying the Molex was a head scratcher from the beginning. Like some others who have posted to this thread, my Revelation Audio connector breaking correlated with my Xfi amp going dead.

After my Xfi broke, my experience with the Geek Pulse campaign soured me on computer audio, and for years I just used the headphone out on my iMac to connect my headphones and studio monitors. I'm now ready to create at least a nice office system. Some questions for those of you who also had their Xfi die:

1) What did you replace it with? I used the cables originally supplied with the LPS4, since my aftermarket Revelation cable broke at the molex connector.
2) Can the LPS be repurposed with another Amp? Is 12V a fairly common DC voltage for such devices? If you have the proper cable you can use it to power whatever device requires 12V. Keep in mind that the LPS4 only has 2 - 1.2A and 2 - 0.500A outlets.
3) Has anyone tried to use the LHL split 2G USB cable with the LPS and another AMP? I'm assuming the Xfi you refer to is a DAC/Headphone amp since you give no model info or did you mean iFi devices? The LPS4 will only supply a device, AMP, DAC or whatever with 12V at 1.2A or 0.500A.
4) IF the LPS can still be used, anyone know of a source for a longer Molex/Power cable? I don't!

Thanks for any input.

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #13,632 of 13,800
Sorry for the ambiguity. I've seen "Xfi" used as shorthand for the Balanced Geek Pulse Infinity, at least it was years ago back when the Indiegogo campaign was in full blast. My Balanced Pulse Infinity died at the same time that my Revelation power cable broke, (like yours also at the molex connector), the warranty wasn't honored, and I ended up storing all of my LHL gear for over four years. After seeing this thread on Head-Fi, I applied for compensation and submitted my old payment documents, and with a lot of help from Jarek of LHL I ended up receiving a Stella. Now I'd like to resurrect my desktop system, and I was wondering which amps & dacs. (combos or separates) were purchased as replacements for or upgrades from Pulse Infinities by previous owners.

I still have the original molex connector supplied by LHL. I don't have an LPS4, just the standard LPS. I also have two Lightspeed 2G split USB cables, one which I paid a ridiculous price for during the campaign, and one which was given for free to all Infinity backers.

Thanks for your reply!

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #13,633 of 13,800
Well
Sorry for the ambiguity. I've seen "Xfi" used as shorthand for the Balanced Geek Pulse Infinity, at least it was years ago back when the Indiegogo campaign was in full blast. My Balanced Pulse Infinity died at the same time that my Revelation power cable broke, (like yours also at the molex connector), the warranty wasn't honored, and I ended up storing all of my LHL gear for over four years. After seeing this thread on Head-Fi, I applied for compensation and submitted my old payment documents, and with a lot of help from Jarek of LHL I ended up receiving a Stella. Now I'd like to resurrect my desktop system, and I was wondering which amps & dacs. (combos or separates) were purchased as replacements for or upgrades from Pulse Infinities by previous owners.

I still have the original molex connector supplied by LHL. I don't have an LPS4, just the standard LPS. I also have two Lightspeed 2G split USB cables, one which I paid a ridiculous price for during the campaign, and one which was given for free to all Infinity backers.

Thanks for your reply!

Thanks for the clarification. Regarding the USB cables, unfortunately, unless whatever DAC, AMP or DAC/AMP combo derives it's power from the USB cable, which is only 5V @ 0.500A BTW, you'll probably be SOL. I don't believe the Xfi sources it's power from the USB connection.

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #13,635 of 13,800
Difficult to find better go on a DIY route.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back