Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jul 15, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #11,493 of 13,800
I have had my Pulse Infinity V2 back from repair for a month now and I'm pleased to say I'm really enjoying this DAC.
Well that is I was until the LPS V1 died this morning.

What the heck is going on?! 
blink.gif

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #11,494 of 13,800
My Revive that I have had for a little over a week stopped allowing any of my external drives to connect through it. Of the 6 LH Labs products I have owned (Infinity, LPS-4, GO v1, v2, Blue and Revive) so far only three have never needed to be returned (Infinity, Blue and GO v1). Not a good track record. Makes me wonder about the more complicated Source and Wave.

Edit: added the Pulse Blue

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #11,495 of 13,800
oneguy so you were using it with a phone and had your music on an external drive connected through the 2nd usb port on the revive?  interesting use, I feel like the revive was made for portable use as much as desktop.. but I just use it as a desktop usb fixer with an external lps

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #11,496 of 13,800
IME the LHL stuff can be a bit like a British sports car. They can sometimes need to be repaired (maybe more often than others) but when they're running well they really run well!!! Cheers 

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #11,497 of 13,800
oneguy so you were using it with a phone and had your music on an external drive connected through the 2nd usb port on the revive?  interesting use, I feel like the revive was made for portable use as much as desktop.. but I just use it as a desktop usb fixer with an external lps

The Revive is connected to my computer.

I forgot that I do have Pulse Blue which I got second hand and it hasn't given me any issues. That would put me at a 50% success rate overall with their products. I'll edit my post above.

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #11,498 of 13,800
IME the LHL stuff can be a bit like a British sports car. They can sometimes need to be repaired (maybe more often than others) but when they're running well they really run well!!! Cheers 

The repairs bother me but not as much as the cost of these repairs outside of warranty. Does anyone have any data on that? I feel like we are at or near the point where the Pulse products that were initially shipped with a 2 year warranty will have their warranties expire. I received my first Pulse product (LPS4) in Jan of 2015.

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #11,500 of 13,800

As a car guy ... I buy an Alfa expecting to tinker under the bonnet. It is part of the love/hate relationship you know your getting into and as long as the car can be easily and quickly repaired .... so be it.  With stereo equipment the sentiment is completely different altogether.  While I can solder well and have an above average knowledge of electrical engineering ... I have no desire to tinker even if it is only to see how swapping components alters the sound signature of the unit.  In this case I am prohibited from investigating what has happened and have to now wait to ship out a second unit back to LH at my cost.   

I do appreciate the "look for the silver lining" or "cup half full" sentiment but at this point I am completely uninspired.

Cheers

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #11,501 of 13,800
Under the Pulse heading on LH's Support page you will find what you are looking for.
https://support.lhlabs.com/support/home

Pulse driver is installed on your PC.
You flash the Pulse firmware using your PC.
You flash the MCU firmware by lifting the lid, inserting a mSD card into the reader slot, and power cycling the Pulse.  (Assuming of course you have the second version Pulse).
Note that you must format the mSD card using the FAT file system NOT FAT32 as is more typical today.  FAT can only address at most 2GB of data.

Good luck!

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #11,503 of 13,800
Note that you must format the mSDmto FAT or FAT16. FAT max volume size is 2GB.

Good luck!

So, I found that out quick... And ha, what a fcuking escapade it becomes to get a 64mb-2gb mSD card... I had my order cancelled by 4 sellers on 3 different platforms because "no one needs a <2gb mSD card anymore". I had one seller offer me a 16gb one at the original cost of the 2GB one because he said he doesn't even have a supplier for them anymore... I eventually found one, then had to wait 4wks for it to arrive.

Thank you for your answer.

I have the original shape Pulse Xfi. What's the procedure for that? Exactly the same as you mentioned I suppose.

Unfortunately you need to send yours back to LH Labs or possibly to an authorised repair facility if you're not in the US. The first units have no user/owner upgradeable method. This was changed on the V2 units, but even there it's still a bit flaky.

So, you've gotta contact LH Labs and get a ticket to send it in for upgrading, especially before your warranty runs out like oneguy was mentioning above. As a V1 owner your warranty may be close to expiration, and that's IF you didn't pick it up used since the original warranty was non-transferable.

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #11,504 of 13,800
So, you've gotta contact LH Labs and get a ticket to send it in for upgrading, especially before your warranty runs out like oneguy was mentioning above. As a V1 owner your warranty may be close to expiration, and that's IF you didn't pick it up used since the original warranty was non-transferable.

You only have to send it back if you want to upgrade the display firmware (which you really do not need). You can upgrade the main board firmware (the one you definitely need) yourself following the instructions on the support site.

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #11,505 of 13,800
So, I found that out quick... And ha, what a fcuking escapade it becomes to get a 64mb-2gb mSD card... I had my order cancelled by 4 sellers on 3 different platforms because "no one needs a <2gb mSD card anymore". I had one seller offer me a 16gb one at the original cost of the 2GB one because he said he doesn't even have a supplier for them anymore... I eventually found one, then had to wait 4wks for it to arrive.

Would it work if you reformat the larger 16gb mSD card with 4 x 2gb FAT volumes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back