Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jun 29, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #11,461 of 13,800
On my ears SQ is better in Android than my Pc. Couldn't do DSD256 though. It stutters...

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #11,462 of 13,800
OK, my Revive came today (hoping to review it). I connected it to my PC, Power to a Powered USB hub (Vaunix Lab Brick, which I used for both signal and power through the 2 cables). When I connected it to the PC, it installed drivers on the PC. LED is on. Go to JRiver, click on some music, no sounds. Go back to the old setup (DAC is Geek Out Signature Edition v1), with Regen, music is back. What am I doing wrong?

Never mind, not sure why, just took it all apart and reconnected it again, don't think I did anything different, but it seems to be working. Now, some time for burn in, then will have to get some impressions.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #11,463 of 13,800
Left it to burn in overnight, quick listen this AM (the Revive)
lots of detail, too much? Not sure yet, let it burn more...

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #11,464 of 13,800
So the money question: Initial thoughts, Revive vs Regen?

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #11,466 of 13,800
I think doc has Regen only for comparison.

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #11,467 of 13,800
Depends on your SQ tastes.  Personally, I like both and really depends on my mood and ancillary equipment.

REGEN using Curious Cable USB USB cable with Pulse Infinity (Speakers - Paradigm Studios, Headphones - Fostex TH900)
  1. Lots of detail - great separation of instruments and
  2. Great soundstage
  3. A little more forgiving of recordings that have sibilance and sharpness - what some refer to as musical but certainly does not exhibit the blurring of different instruments or voices.  Separation is still very good
  4. Transient Speed - good but not as fast or delineated as the Revive/LightSpeed 10G combo
  5. Very low noise floor
  6. Without the REGEN, when I move my mouse I can hear noise being generated as a result.  With the REGEN in play there's just dead silence.
*Note: I used the REGEN with the LightSpeed 10G but I was not as emotionally engaged with the music but really can't determine exactly why (Yet)!!

Revive using LightSpeed 10G USB cable with Pulse Infinity (Speakers - Paradigm Studios, Headphones - Fostex TH900)
  1. Lots of detail
  2. Great Soundstage
  3. It portrays the recording with all it's faults as opposed to smoothing it out a little (The Emperor is naked)
  4. Transient speed - sounds just seem to come at you much quicker, they're sharp but not in a bad way plus decay seems more defined, easier to identify.
  5. Without the Revive, when I move my mouse I can hear noise being generated as a result.  With the Revive in play there's just dead silence.
*Note:  I've yet to try the Revive with the Curious Cable and will try to get to that after our Independence holiday.

So the money question: Initial thoughts, Revive vs Regen?

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #11,468 of 13,800
Still sorting it out...I only have the Revive and the Regen in the house.
Letting the Revive break in a bit, so I haven't pulled it and put back the Regen for direct comparison yet. My quick feeling, though, was different, felt Less engaged using the Revive, kept changing tracks. I'll give it a chance and to some head to head.
I don't have a PC connected to my speaker system, my PC drives a headphone system (LH Labs 2G Usb cable, LH Labs Geek Out Signature Edition v1, usually a MicroZOTL2 into HE-1000 (but was using the Omni quite a bit as well).
More to come, maybe a review...

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #11,469 of 13,800
Some further listening...the Revive does indeed improve detail retrieval, still haven't done a direct comparison, but I do think with burn in (or brain burn in if you believe that's what really happens), it is sounding better indeed, though I think I am also hearing some of the defects in the less than pristine recordings, the "warts" being more obvious, which can make it hard to listen. But, still very early in the process, my mind/impressions certainly have a ways to go. Listening right now to "The Thompson Fields" by the Maria Schneider Orchestra, a beautiful album, and really enjoying it. Will have to burn some more, and then do some head to head comparisons.

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #11,470 of 13,800
Some further listening...the Revive does indeed improve detail retrieval, still haven't done a direct comparison, but I do think with burn in (or brain burn in if you believe that's what really happens), it is sounding better indeed...

I trust units from only those who does their own measurements. Larry is maniacal about power noise so I expect Revive to perform.  Lower noise expounds details.

Although this is not part of your comparison, Intona also does provide huge gains measurement-wise and aural impact to Pulse Xα producing deeper and wider sound stage.  Link here.

Regen, however, is doing something different. It got many fans but measurements says otherwise. My googling produces results where the designer, John Swenson, does not use AP or equivalent measurement or have access to it.  Debate continues.  Link here.

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #11,471 of 13,800
I have gone back and forth quite often with the Regen in and out of my system, I find it sounding better with it in. I don't know for sure what it does either, but it did improve things, and I left it in. The Revive is a new arrival, still sorting out what it does to the sound in my computer system. Initial impressions is that it improves good sounding files, especially acoustic music. Not so much with much pop/rock stuff, may be revealing grunge. I use HEK and MicroZOTL2, which are both also very revealing/detailed. I changed headphones for a short listen to Omni, which is warm in the mids and lows, and my experience is that it makes not so great recordings sound better, and, indeed, the sound on some of the recordings that were not so great was more enjoyable with the Omni.
My $0.02 at a very early stage of listening (still haven't had a chance to A-B)

Jul 1, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #11,472 of 13,800
I have gone back and forth quite often with the Regen in and out of my system, I find it sounding better with it in. I don't know for sure what it does either, but it did improve things, and I left it in. The Revive is a new arrival, still sorting out what it does to the sound in my computer system. Initial impressions is that it improves good sounding files, especially acoustic music. Not so much with much pop/rock stuff, may be revealing grunge...

The impression I had from Regen is it employed some kind of sound shaping schemes that makes it pleasing on some notes.  It was good for pop and rock. Since my main criterion is realism, 3D, separation, and soundstage, the Intona did worked better for me.  Too bad I do not have a Revive to compare.  I expected Revive to be closer to Intona than Regen for its overall characteristics from Larry’s design philosophy.

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #11,473 of 13,800
i had recently setup my Pulse to function as a DAC with a tube power amp, connected via the XLR.
since there is a phone jack on the Pulse, i thought i can listen to some music without the amp...same as my previous setup on Teac
surprising it don't seem to work for the Pulse
when I attempt to play a song using foobar, an error msg popped up after 3 secs of play.

I was wondering it this normal because previous Teac UD501 can work with my power amp connected to it..

Did Pulse has the phone jack disconnected when its detect and analogue output is connected?

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #11,474 of 13,800
The Pulse headphone jack and line out jacks are always active, neither one can be disabled. The Pulse also seems to be a sensitive little beast and occasionally misbehaves for no apparent reason when doing perfectly normal things such as connecting both headphones and line out. Power cycle everything and try again.

J.P.

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #11,475 of 13,800
The Pulse headphone jack and line out jacks are always active, neither one can be disabled. The Pulse also seems to be a sensitive little beast and occasionally misbehaves for no apparent reason when doing perfectly normal things such as connecting both headphones and line out. Power cycle everything and try again.

JP

wouldn't believe it, after power cycle it works..
Previously, I had power cycled a couple of times, even  to the process of re-starting the PC too.
wingsounds13, you were right to say it is sensitive....
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back