Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jul 22, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #11,521 of 13,800
It's a shame to hear of the failed units, but my Pulse X Infinity, LPS, and GOV2+ Infinity have been rock solid. Easily the best sound from any DACs I've owned, and with the newest mobile Sabre chips (which are still hard to find in units, especially portable balanced ones).

I would not crowdfund again though. The wait is entirely too long. I've written off the Wave at this point, and would probably sell it if I ever do get it.

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #11,523 of 13,800
Which pulse models did not have mu-metal shields over their clocks?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

If memory serves me, only those models equipped with the femto clocks were supposed to have the mu-metal shields.

So any model with an "F" in it's name should have them.

I wonder if my SFi actually does? Of course to physically check would void the warranty in the eyes of LH Labs, pretty convenient.

In their defense, they aren't the only manufacturer who claims opening the chassis cover voids the warranty. But that's no alibi, I always thought that was complete BS (from any manufacturer) to claim you can't even open the chassis.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #11,525 of 13,800
It's a shame to hear of the failed units, but my Pulse X Infinity, LPS, and GOV2+ Infinity have been rock solid. Easily the best sound from any DACs I've owned, and with the newest mobile Sabre chips (which are still hard to find in units, especially portable balanced ones).

I would not crowdfund again though. The wait is entirely too long. I've written off the Wave at this point, and would probably sell it if I ever do get it.

Still waiting on a Vi tube dac, Wave. And Source...wouldn't crowdfund again either, though I had a good experience with the Pono and Peachtree Deepblue2 (and even with the Geek Out Special Edition). I think crowdfunding differs from crowd designing. The former is a finished product waiting for financing, then manufacture. Crowd design (at least as done by LH labs) is much more difficult, slow, and has more potential for problems. My $0.02

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #11,526 of 13,800
The only issue I have with my Pulse X Infinity is the remote control. It runs very very slow to a point where it doesn't work at all.

The other is customer support.  I have an open ticket requesting for the latest firmware since mine is still 1.0. I sent a follow up once but still hasn't gotten any reply. It's been open for over 2 weeks now.

Same here.  No more crowd funding and Indiegogo for me.

Jul 23, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #11,527 of 13,800

New 20g Lightspeed Cable/Box

“And that ‘20G Box’ correctly separates the necessary space between signal and power leg of the USB cable. Our beautifully designed acrylic bridges are well installed before it ships out.”

Looks like your photographer doesn’t care too much for the acrylic spacers, or the correct space between the signal and usb legs!! :)

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #11,528 of 13,800
Looks like similar shaped box to the revive.. I kind of wish we had the same femtos in the revive :frowning2:
On the other hand, hey my revive has the same case as a 2k msrp product :p

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #11,531 of 13,800
Hello! Physical disparities aside, how does Chord Mojo compare to a Pulse Infinity with LPS, both as a DAC and a DAC/AMP combo?

Here's my comparison of the the two as a DAC/Amp combo:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/795235/chord-mojo-loaner-program-signup-and-review-thread#post_12318465

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #11,532 of 13,800
I am sorry to hear about your fails, I also show you have not responded to your ticket in two months now. It would seem the MU shield was simply missed when work was done on your unit. Yes you must turn the knob to engage volume as a safety precaution to your amp and headphones (that was embedded in the firmware update). typically from when computer sleeps then turns back on, we have gotten feedback from our customers to mute the system until the volume knob is engaged to avoid loud system sounds etc. like your windows boot on sounds and so you can see where your dB is currently set to and adjust your amp accordingly before turning the knob.

Please respond to your ticket so we can have your issue addressed.

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #11,533 of 13,800
  It's been over 8 months since I've written off this company and it's products but a friend has brought my attention back to this thread in light of all the defects going on.  Mr. Ho says the failure rate for his products are extremely low but from personal experience and what everyone else has posted, I really beg to differ and I'd like someone from LH to define what 'extremely low failure rates' actually mean.  As a backer from the 2013 campaign and part of the original 1500er group, I'd like to know why my 3 infinities all don't work.  That is a 100% failure rate.

Problems:
1) Infinities don't work until you power cycle it X number of times
2) Infinity buzzes/crashes randomly when you plug in a single-ended headphone (I'm glad my headphones still work because the manual says to plug in headphones with the unit ON)
    Maybe this is a feature for the sake of sound quality since the signal path is unprotected and killing headphones is acceptable since this is head-fi.  Sorry about your wallet. 
3) Display doesn't update even when using a 1GB microsd card formatted with FAT16 (yes I still have a 1GB microsd card)
4) Infinity firmware update fails even when following the instructions exactly as stated and needed a number of tries to get the upgrade to work (lucky I didn't brick the thing)
5) Even with the latest firmware, power cycling the unit randomly mutes the volume and there's no sound until you turn the volume knob 
6) Lack of mu-metal shield over the clocks which is unacceptable since this was something that replaced the spdif out

It'd be interesting to know how many of the original backers are kept in the dark without the mu-metal shield.

More importantly, I don't trust LH engineering/design because the Pulse has too many show stopping bugs/problems from my personal experience.  I'd like to refer all the LH supporters/fanboys back to problem #2 if they think I'm crazy.

For everyone else that's waiting for their stuff, I'm honestly praying for you guys and wish you the best of luck.  As for me, I paid for an expensive lesson since like everyone else, I believed Mr. Ho knows how to design a working DAC.  Three years later, I don't believe he does.

P.S. Even the 12V wall wart was DOA.  If I didn't have an LPS that was sitting as a paperweight, I would've thought the Infinity itself was DOA.

I am sorry to hear about your fails, I also show you have not responded to your ticket in two months now. It would seem the MU shield was simply missed when work was done on your unit. Yes you must turn the knob to engage volume as a safety precaution to your amp and headphones (that was embedded in the firmware update). typically from when computer sleeps then turns back on, we have gotten feedback from our customers to mute the system until the volume knob is engaged to avoid loud system sounds etc. like your windows boot on sounds and so you can see where your dB is currently set to and adjust your amp accordingly before turning the knob.

Please respond to your ticket so we can have your issue addressed.

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #11,534 of 13,800
@Adrian0115 
I have that over expensive Pulse SE and it is recognised by PC/Mac/ Android only after I power cycle it once. I dont trust these guys to send it back to repair from Europe because I dont think that I will see the unit back again so I have to live with it.  There is no way that this unit was as Larry promissed carefully tuned and tested. They have put some Cardas connectors in and overpiced a nomal infity, at least they could make the minimal effort to test it for that premium price. About the SQ : it sounds lifeless, artificial a real "digital " sound, exactly the contrary of what they have advertised.  I had to buy another Dac, the Chord 2qute, at the half of the price that I have payed for the SE and there a change like night and day: the Chord have a analog beautifull sound and worth every penny.
Let say it by the name, these guys are crooks and we have been cheated. 

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #11,535 of 13,800
  @Adrian0115 
I have that over expensive Pulse SE and it is recognised by PC/Mac/ Android only after I power cycle it once. I dont trust these guys to send it back to repair from Europe because I dont think that I will see the unit back again so I have to live with it.  There is no way that this unit was as Larry promissed carefully tuned and tested. They have put some Cardas connectors in and overpiced a nomal infity, at least they could make the minimal effort to test it for that premium price. About the SQ : it sounds lifeless, artificial a real "digital " sound, exactly the contrary of what they have advertised.  I had to buy another Dac, the Chord 2qute, at the half of the price that I have payed for the SE and there a change like night and day: the Chord have a analog beautifull sound and worth every penny.
Let say it by the name, these guys are crooks and we have been cheated. 

Can you post a picture of your Pulse SE? I've never seen one in the wild.

Sorry to hear about the other stuff though. I hope your new Chord DAC treats you well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back