Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 2, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #9,961 of 13,800
I have actually ordered a few Molex connectors and a few 12 v DC barrel connectors with some 18 AWG power cable, I think I can build it for say less than 10 $ a cable so truly hard to beat. Most of the components come from DigiKey here in the US.

Very cool. Let us know how they turn out. Cheers 

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #9,962 of 13,800
Don't forget the optional dc plug upgrade for fancypants people :wink:
http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/mains-plugs/499-oyaide-dc-25g-gold-plated-dc-power-plug.html

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #9,966 of 13,800
Should you be able to off just the LPS4 instead of shutting off the Infinity? If I shut the LPS4 off, when I turn it back on my laptop doesn't see it and I have to power both the Infinity and LPS4 off and back to get the Infinity recognized. The rocker power switch on the Infinity is so small and tight fitted next to the power cable.

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #9,967 of 13,800
Mmk I just tried the iFi Audio micro iUSB3.0 with the Pulse X Infinity and 2G cable. The difference is night and day! : D

It adds a sense of better instrument separation and layering with a blacker background, but to me it sounds a bit brighter and grittier than the 2G+LPS4, which sounds smoother in comparison. I'm not sure which one I like more as I think both still sound very good as a whole.

.....maybe I should let it burn-in for 10 000+ hours, get a better wall wart separate linear power supply, and get an audiophile-approved USB 3.0 cable before I make any more impressions. Clearly my audio chain is inferior. >: D

I've come to the conclusion that the MacBook Pro Retina Display's USB (3.0) ports are pretty darn good overall. Any "clean USB power" or iFi's "IsoGround" doesn't really seem to do a lot for me. I literally hear no difference when the IsoGround switch is on or off. As I mentioned in my 10G vs 2G Demo cable review, the differences between USB cables for me is pretty small with the X Infinity and I personally wouldn't recommend someone to go out of their way to upgrade their USB cables right away just because people on the Internet and audiophile magazines say it's a "night and day difference." Even the 1G cable still sounds great to me and I honestly wouldn't mind having only that cable connected to my computer chain.

If you want to know a "night and day difference," try switching between the K701 and SRS-2170, or even Geek Out (via LPS4, FRM filter) and Pulse X Infinity (powered by LPS4, 1G input, single-ended headphone output, FRM filter). Now those are substantial differences in sound quality worth talking about and recommending to people. XD

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #9,968 of 13,800

I know this probably won't make you feel much better at this point but there is hope.  I initially had issues with both my Vanilla and Xfi Pulses that rendered them unusable.  To their credit, LH was very responsive and I've since had units that work well.  Hopefully you'll have a similar experience.

There seems to be an issue with some Pulses where they either dont sync at all or have random sync issues I think you should open a ticket and get it returned for a replacement or repair.

Thanks for the responses.  Yes I opened a ticket and they sent me firmware Geek Pulse version 1.5 build 2.29.0.  I updated the firmware and now I will test for a couple of days to see if it worked.  Hopefully I won't have a $450 (including shipping and 1G cable) paperweight anymore.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #9,969 of 13,800
Should you be able to off just the LPS4 instead of shutting off the Infinity? If I shut the LPS4 off, when I turn it back on my laptop doesn't see it and I have to power both the Infinity and LPS4 off and back to get the Infinity recognized. The rocker power switch on the Infinity is so small and tight fitted next to the power cable.

No. If the LPS is powered off and back on the connection between the computer and the Pulse is severed. The Pulse needs to be powered off and on as well in order to resend the USB handshake signal to re-establish the connection.

Jody

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #9,971 of 13,800
  I just have a really tough time with the fact that burn in improves every problem you can think of with little evidence to support it. 

I don't expect the infinity to improve with any kind of burn in much but with better upstream components and downstream synergy. 

Both the creator of the DAC and Dan from MrSpeakers say otherwise; but what would they know? 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #9,972 of 13,800
Both the creator of the DAC and Dan from MrSpeakers want to sell their products.
There are two camps in general. Those who believe and hear the difference and those who don't regarding burn-in, cables and so on.

It's up to each individual person to find it out on their own.

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #9,973 of 13,800
No. If the LPS is powered off and back on the connection between the computer and the Pulse is severed. The Pulse needs to be powered off and on as well in order to resend the USB handshake signal to re-establish the connection.

Jody

Bummer. :frowning2:

The switch on the Infinity is very small and hard to turn on / off. It should be on the front.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #9,974 of 13,800
  Both the creator of the DAC and Dan from MrSpeakers want to sell their products.
There are two camps in general. Those who believe and hear the difference and those who don't regarding burn-in, cables and so on.

It's up to each individual person to find it out on their own.

No actually Dan from MrSpeakers was a non-believer in burn in (and cables for that matter but that's another story) and recently experienced that very phenomenon with the Pulse infinity. He said he hated the Infinity initially and berated LH Labs for what he thought was a product that made his new Ether headphone seem poor. 

However, he left it running for over a month with some background audio duties or something (can't remember the exact thing) and when he tried it again, he was astonished to discover that it sounded completely different to what he remembered and that it actually provided excellent synergy with his headphone. He then wrote to LH Labs complimenting them on their DAC and explaining what had happened. LH Labs told him (like they told us before - apparently to sell more DACS 
rolleyes.gif
) that it was a known thing with the XFi and Infinity units and that what he experienced was indeed the burn in period. 

This is also consistent with many user's experience but of course it's either a massive conspiracy or a bunch of quacks spouting nonsense. After all, if we can't explain it... it can't be real! 
deadhorse.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #9,975 of 13,800
+1.  I had the original review unit. I also have my personal Infinity and it required 200-300 hours of burn in to get to peak operational sonic bliss. BTW, my Simaudio Moon Neo 430HA required the same burn in time. This is not a unique thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back