Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Sep 28, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #9,331 of 13,800
  the connection to ground can be done by the user. There is even a video about it from them... but like Gavin mentions in the video... doing so voids the warranty

I don't think there's any video on that
I think you have it mixed up with the video on 'How to change Pulse LPS voltage'.

Sep 28, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #9,333 of 13,800
Received my Pulse Xfi last Friday and have listened to it extensively while burning it in for the entire weekend for more than 48 hours now.

Listening to it, there is some SERIOUS lack of bass, zero body and slam, both my Denon D2000 and HD650 sound like they had their balls cut off - completely neutered.

There has been no perceivable improvements for the entire 2 days that I have it powered on and playing music.

I am *hoping* further burn-in will resolve the issue, but with the way it sounds now after more than 2 days, I am having doubts that the sound will change that dramatically.

Does anyone else have similar experiences? Will burning the unit in for a week somehow magically cure it of its bass-lessness?

In addition, do I need to have a pair of headphones plugged in for burn-in, or is it fine as long as it's receiving music from my computer?

Sep 28, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #9,334 of 13,800
Presuming there isn't a huge difference between the Xfi and the X Infinity....I've been comparing an Yggy with my X Infinity and whilst the Yggy is clearly superior overall, the Pulse is most definitely not lacking in bass, body and slam in comparison. My Pulse was without a doubt the most burn-in critical device I've ever heard. It sounded really quite crappy when I first got it.  I don't recall how long it took to open up, but it was at least a few days.  I'd stick with it for a bit longer & see what happens.  I left headphones plugged in when burning-in as I figured it wouldn't hurt to have the Pulse amp having a load to drive.

Sep 28, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #9,335 of 13,800
  Presuming there isn't a huge difference between the Xfi and the X Infinity....I've been comparing an Yggy with my X Infinity and whilst the Yggy is clearly superior overall, the Pulse is most definitely not lacking in bass, body and slam in comparison. My Pulse was without a doubt the most burn-in critical device I've ever heard. It sounded really quite crappy when I first got it.  I don't recall how long it took to open up, but it was at least a few days.  I'd stick with it for a bit longer & see what happens.  I left headphones plugged in when burning-in as I figured it wouldn't hurt to have the Pulse amp having a load to drive.

Thanks, that reassures me a lot, I guess I'll just ride it out and see what happens.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #9,337 of 13,800
Do you mean the addition of SSM mode or an update to existing SSM mode?

Because the Xfi I have that got delivered last Friday have SSM filter in the menu that I can select, so it's there already.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #9,340 of 13,800
As I remember and understand it, SSM is not yet functional and will be included in some future release of the DAC firmware. Since the display firmware was not user updatable in pre 2.0 chassis, the SSM mode was included in the display to be compatible with future DAC firmware releases that did include this feature. If you select SSM (or any filter mode that is not yet implemented in the DAC firmware) the active filter does not change, it continues to use the previously selected filter.

J.P.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #9,341 of 13,800
  Received my Pulse Xfi last Friday and have listened to it extensively while burning it in for the entire weekend for more than 48 hours now.

Listening to it, there is some SERIOUS lack of bass, zero body and slam, both my Denon D2000 and HD650 sound like they had their balls cut off - completely neutered.

There has been no perceivable improvements for the entire 2 days that I have it powered on and playing music.

I am *hoping* further burn-in will resolve the issue, but with the way it sounds now after more than 2 days, I am having doubts that the sound will change that dramatically.

Does anyone else have similar experiences? Will burning the unit in for a week somehow magically cure it of its bass-lessness?

In addition, do I need to have a pair of headphones plugged in for burn-in, or is it fine as long as it's receiving music from my computer?

Let's just both I and Dan Clark spent the days together in CanJam London talking bout how the Pulse magically came alive after some **** ton of burn in. I would say 150-200 ish.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #9,342 of 13,800
Everything I read says it does take a ********LOAD of burning time, and recommends leaving it on for the same reason. Getting the Vi Tube, should be the same.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #9,343 of 13,800
Concur with the whole burn in thing. Even my HD800 has some serious bass. It's definitely not bass light. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #9,344 of 13,800

Can you tell us more about the differences between the two (infinity and yggy)??

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #9,345 of 13,800
One is unpronounceable, for one difference...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back