Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Sep 28, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #9,347 of 13,800
Sep 29, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #9,349 of 13,800
And now...I make my x-it, shuffle off to Buffalo...and AWAY WE GO!!!!

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #9,350 of 13,800
Hey Casey or someone from the LH Labs team:
Manny was supposed to get me shipping info for an LPS but it's been like a week and I haven't heard anything. I am probably the only person who is getting an LPS instead of a wave/stream so it should be easy to tie out the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #9,351 of 13,800
Received an email from LH Labs titled "Pulse DAC shipping notification." Waiting on an Infinity 2.0 chassis, I expected exactly that, a shipping email with tracking number. Instead what I got was another marketing email for deals on older 1.0 chassis. LH Labs must know how antsy backers are to receive their goods. And to reward those who have patiently waited endless setbacks? They use this underhanded trick to create false excitement. Larry I trust your engineering skills and think you are an honest chap. Please get a handle on your marketing people because they will ruin the image of your company.

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #9,352 of 13,800
Received an email from LH Labs titled "Pulse DAC shipping notification." Waiting on an Infinity 2.0 chassis, I expected exactly that, a shipping email with tracking number. Instead what I got was another marketing email for deals on older 1.0 chassis. LH Labs must know how antsy backers are to receive their goods. And to reward those who have patiently waited endless setbacks? They use this underhanded trick to create false excitement. Larry I trust your engineering skills and think you are an honest chap. Please get a handle on your marketing people because they will ruin the image of your company.

No kidding!!!  I (And I'm sure many others) had the same reaction... particularly given that I've had to check the shipment notifications because they have had the wrong address on almost every shipment that they have made.

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #9,353 of 13,800
Same story here. I got all excited when I read the title then when I read the body I realized it was yet another call for them to cull money. What they should probably do is spend time to fix their "forum" or just un-archive the old one.

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #9,354 of 13,800
Yeah I read that email this morning and thought ouch that's a kick in the conkers for people still waiting for their chassis 2 Pulse. Let's be honest though, LH aren't exactly famous for their subtle and thoughtful marketing, more of a shock and awe carpet bombing approach :wink:

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #9,356 of 13,800
  I am enjoying listing to my recently delivered Pulse Xfi, however I have noticed a couple of menu bugs.  I tried searching this thread for similar experiences but the keywords hit too many posts to actually find any information.   Does anyone else have these or know if there are fixes?

Menu bugs:
1)  If I enter the menu structure via the control knob, the sample rate disappears and does not return after any period of time if the source sample rate stays the same, in this case it only returns if the power is cycled.  If the sample rate changes, I think the display returns but I have limited material in other rates so I have only noticed this once.
2) After entering the menu structure, as soon as I turn the knob to change menus, the volume jumps to -0.0dB

Firmware: main 2.0, mcu 2.4
System: macbook pro -> USB ->Xfi (no LPS), most of the time with Geek Perfect

Initial Xfi impressions are very good, but really so far I've just been enjoying listening with limited tinkering.  I have't done any A-B comparisons to my Schitt gear as that's all at work.  Will shortly be trying it via the RCA outs with my Bottlehead Crack.  Also need to get a balanced cable for my LCDs to try the balanced portion.

For shipping reference I was a 1/21/14 Pulse Xfi backer, received 9/21/15.
Also ordered the Audeze+Pulse bundle on 12/11/14, headphones arrived~1/7/15, and I just received a shipping invoice for the vanilla pulse saying it's ready to ship.

So both of my menu bugs have disappeared.  Weird.

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #9,357 of 13,800
So, on the Yggdrasil v Pulse X Infinity thing....

Bottom line - Yggy is more natural, more micro-detailed.

Longer version - The Yggy is fantastic at presenting tiny micro-details that you didn't know were there on a recording.  This is very different from just having a "detailed" presentation - the Pulse is actually very detailed itself, but it's only when you compare directly with the Yggy that you realise it's smoothing out a lot of those micro-details that you didn't know where there.

For example, the minute textures in, for example, Nick Drake's voice on "Way to Blue" are totally smoothed over on the Sabre dacs (I'm including the DiDiT DAC212 here as it sounds very similar to the Pulse), whilst the Yggy is showing me all these little micro-sounds that make his voice so much more human.  When he holds a note, I'm hearing the slight rasp in his voice....think in terms of a slightly jaggedy horizontal line, whereas the other two dacs show a straight flat line, more of a one-note sound.  I've heard this song probably hundreds of times...never heard these little details. The Yggy also avoids that uncomfortable mid-range push you can sometimes get when a voice gets stronger/louder momentarily...on the Yggy these ebb and flows of volume sound natural, whereas the other two dacs both exhibt that annoying (to my ears) push.

Whilst I'm only conscious of these little micro-details if I listen for them, their presence throughout the music makes for a more natural and believable presentation compared to the other two even when I'm listening casually. Certainly for me, having A/B'd them like this, I couldn't go back to the Sabre dacs knowing what I'm missing.  Note that I'm classifying the Pulse and DAC212 under the banner "Sabre", as that is the commonality between them, and therefore my thought is that's why they sound so similar and suffer the same drawbacks against the Yggy. Bear in mind that I'm using a Ragnarok for amplification here, and I'm not convinced it's the best pairing.  I'm looking forward to trying Yggy with some other tasty amps soon.

Having said all that, the Pulse X Infinity is a really enjoyable listen, and I'm happy with it considering what I paid as an early backer. I just think the Yggdrasil has moved the goal posts at it's price point, and with Gungnir multibit out there, and the other one incoming soon, it's really hard to see past them for value & enjoyment imho. It's just a shame Yggy is such a big ugly slab of metal, but I can live with it considering the payoff.

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #9,358 of 13,800

Longer version - The Yggy is fantastic at presenting tiny micro-details that you didn't know were there on a recording.  This is very different from just having a "detailed" presentation - the Pulse is actually very detailed itself, but it's only when you compare directly with the Yggy that you realise it's smoothing out a lot of those micro-details that you didn't know where there.

For example, the minute textures in, for example, Nick Drake's voice on "Way to Blue" are totally smoothed over on the Sabre dacs (I'm including the DiDiT DAC212 here as it sounds very similar to the Pulse), whilst the Yggy is showing me all these little micro-sounds that make his voice so much more human.  When he holds a note, I'm hearing the slight rasp in his voice....think in terms of a slightly jaggedy horizontal line, whereas the other two dacs show a straight flat line, more of a one-note sound.  I've heard this song probably hundreds of times...never heard these little details. The Yggy also avoids that uncomfortable mid-range push you can sometimes get when a voice gets stronger/louder momentarily...on the Yggy these ebb and flows of volume sound natural, whereas the other two dacs both exhibt that annoying (to my ears) push.

Whilst I'm only conscious of these little micro-details if I listen for them, their presence throughout the music makes for a more natural and believable presentation compared to the other two even when I'm listening casually. Certainly for me, having A/B'd them like this, I couldn't go back to the Sabre dacs knowing what I'm missing.  Note that I'm classifying the Pulse and DAC212 under the banner "Sabre", as that is the commonality between them, and therefore my thought is that's why they sound so similar and suffer the same drawbacks against the Yggy. Bear in mind that I'm using a Ragnarok for amplification here, and I'm not convinced it's the best pairing.  I'm looking forward to trying Yggy with some other tasty amps soon.

Having said all that, the Pulse X Infinity is a really enjoyable listen, and I'm happy with it considering what I paid as an early backer. I just think the Yggdrasil has moved the goal posts at it's price point, and with Gungnir multibit out there, and the other one incoming soon, it's really hard to see past them for value & enjoyment imho. It's just a shame Yggy is such a big ugly slab of metal, but I can live with it considering the payoff.

It's not just the Yggy, it's pretty much a good multibit/R-2R implementation vs Delta-Sigma that I believe is the difference, though there are degrees of quality. What you describe above is exactly how I described the difference when I received my Audio-GD DAC-19(10th anv) over my Delta-Sigma sources. The extra detail heard is another level down from micro-detail....... like a nano detail. So much more information that room acoustics and timbre take on a large part of the musical presentation, and so much clearer with the micro detail as well.

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #9,359 of 13,800

A lot of the impressions about smoothing things out were how I felt comparing my RWAK120ii and the Geek Pulse X Infinity. I think part of the smoothing actually helps the Sabre harshness be mellowed, so maybe it should be considered a proper implementation of this type of DAC Chip and not really a fault. Yggy is Multi-Bit though, so it does not have a lot of these issues to design around, it had its own set of design considerations using such a chip as it does.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #9,360 of 13,800
Besides detail.

What about bass slam?
Soundstage?
Genre specific which is the better one?

or is it flat out Ygg > Pulse Infinity ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back