Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jul 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #8,386 of 13,800
  Do you guys feel like the Pulse needed some burn in? Isnt it supposed to arrive already burned in? I have a Pulse Sfi, 

thanks

The Pulse is not burned in prior to shipment. It is only turned on for the duration of the AP testing, etc before it gets sent out.

Jody

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #8,387 of 13,800

What DSD format are you upsampling your audio to? The Pulse only supports DSD64 and DSD128.

Jody

Jody and others - What's your recommendation on upsampling on JRMC with the Pulse? Cheers 

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #8,388 of 13,800
  Jody and others - What's your recommendation on upsampling on JRMC with the Pulse? Cheers 

I have not done any upsampling at all with my files, so I am unable to provide any recommendations.

Some day I will have to get around to trying it to see how much of a difference it makes.

Jody

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #8,389 of 13,800
Well, have a play with it!
Here are some example settings I played with (JRiver only):

1. All PCM files upsampled to DSD64. DSD files remain as is (bitstream).
Bitstreaming: YES (DSD)
Output Encoding (Output Format):  DSD in DOP Format (requires DSD capable DAC)

*2. All PCM files upsampled to DSD128. DSD files remain as is (bitstream).
Bitstreaming: YES (DSD)
Output Encoding (Output Format):  2xDSD in DOP Format (requires DSD capable DAC)

3. All files PCM and DSD are upsampled/downsampled to DSD128 (need a powerful computer)
Bitstreaming: None (recommended)
Output Encoding (Output Format):  2xDSD in DOP Format (requires DSD capable DAC)

4. All files PCM and DSD are upsampled/downsampled to PCM 384k
Output Encoding (Output Format): None
Sample Rate: Change all output rate to 384,000Hz

* works for me best.

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #8,390 of 13,800
  Well, have a play with it!
Here are some example settings I played with (JRiver only):

1. All PCM files upsampled to DSD64. DSD files remain as is (bitstream).
Bitstreaming: YES (DSD)
Output Encoding (Output Format):  DSD in DOP Format (requires DSD capable DAC)

*2. All PCM files upsampled to DSD128. DSD files remain as is (bitstream).
Bitstreaming: YES (DSD)

3. All files PCM and DSD are upsampled/downsampled to DSD128 (need a powerful computer)

4. All files PCM and DSD are upsampled/downsampled to PCM 384k
Output Encoding (Output Format): None
Sample Rate: Change all output rate to 384,000Hz

* works for me best.

Thanks Mickey. You're a rock-star. 

Only challenge I find with the #2 option above is that it always shows "DSD128" on the Pulse. Not a biggie, just something to be aware of as the upsampling causes the display to not show the changes in the source material. 

Cheers

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #8,391 of 13,800
No. It shows. Its just that with #2, ALL PCM files are converted to DSD128 as output. Hence Pulse displays DSD128. Except for DSD (bitstreamed).  It will display the source (non converted) rate.

Try playing a DSD64 file and will show DSD64. For DSD128 (obviously) will display DSD128.

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #8,393 of 13,800
  It may have problem connecting from PC. Try changing USB ports preferably to USB 3.0.

This is my JRiver configuration hope it helps.

Disregard iZotope Ozone 5

okay change to the setting as above..
now is playing fine.. hope 3 days later no error will popup.
the last time is last 3 days and error kept poppping up... dont really understand why

thanks Mickey & Mscott58

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #8,394 of 13,800
  okay change to the setting as above..
now is playing fine.. hope 3 days later no error will popup.
the last time is last 3 days and error kept poppping up... dont really understand why

thanks Mickey & Mscott58

Happy to help, but Mickey did most of the heavy lifting!

You might run into issues now and then. I find sometimes I have to close JRMC and restart the Pulse if it gets out of sync. Part of it is due to my computer going into partial hibenate mode, which I've tried to address in the power setting of my laptop, but haven't completely solved yet. 

Cheers 

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #8,399 of 13,800

I'm not concerning the difference of sound quality between -0.5 dB and 0 dB, but just purely technical curiosity how does XFi adjust the volume of DSD signal, I simply just want to know the technical info if anyone here could enlighten me.

I'm sorry, I may have misunderstood your earlier posts. From what I can tell, the internal operation of volume control for DSD in the ESS chip happens in the same place as that for PCM. From memory, the next-to-last stage in the chip produces a signal that according to one of their technical papers is "about 6 bits" (my wording not theirs), and that's where they do the volume control. Some say this is equivalent to converting to PCM, others say not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back