Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jul 17, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #8,416 of 13,800
I opened a ticket about this question 5 weeks ago and I was told a 6 to 8 weeks wait due to a redesign of the 2g split cable. I opened another ticket 2 days ago and was told another 6 weeks to wait......

Oh, and on a separate point - has anyone else received their "free" Lightspeed 2G USB cable that qualified for one?

I have the 1G that the came with the Infinity, and I also received the 1G Micro I bought in anticipation of the Wave (but am currently using with my CDM), but I haven't received the 2G. 

Thanks all! 

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #8,417 of 13,800
On a related note, I have not seen a lot of professional reviews on the Geek.  I think initially there were some but I was expecting more reviewers to get their hands on the Pulse.  Also it would be nice to compare the DAC with similarly price DACS.  And I am not talking about Indiegogo pricing but suggested MSRP.  I think comparisons will be useful for any future customers, and to see if they are really worth the MSRP.  Does a plain Geek PULSE really perform as a 1K DAC, don't know.  But I think at some point people need to start talking about it.  Does the Infinity really compare to DACs in the 3K range or whatever the price is. 
[/quote

From *cough cough* years reading audiophile mags (Stereophile, TAS, The Audiophile Voice, others), there is a big difference in the way most "professional" reviewers write/review, and most Head-Fiers. Reviews in the Audiophile Press usually state the reviewer has lived with the gear for a number of months, really getting to know it, possibly trying different components to get a sense of how it matches with other gear. On Head Fi, everyone is in a rush to get a review in. It is not unusual to read..."I have been listening to XYZ for 2 hours, and I had to post this review", or something to that effect. I personally have had my opinion of gear change as I live with it, and have sometimes been sorry or embarrassed by some of my early impressions, and have had to post retractions or changed opinions. I wouldn't expect to see Stereophile reviewing this next week (they generally won't review pre-production units either, no "beta" impressions), and not until maybe fall or winter, if they do their job correctly.
My $0.02.

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #8,418 of 13,800
" Does the Infinity really compare to DACs in the 3K range or whatever the price is. "

If one simply looks at the guts of the DAC's and the resultant sound, I cannot see how the Infinity will not come out very well indeed. From what I have read and seen, the engineering and components in the Pulse X Infinity are excellent and advanced. The stunning musical sound it cranks out is of such quality, that I don't really see how it can be  improved. That from an audiophile who bases those rash words on more than 65 years of critical listening over every conceivable electronic unit from a Sears special to a Clairetone furniture-like radio/phono/digital living room unit to MacIntosh receiver and Dynaudio speakers with an assortment of headphones and tape players and preamps, turntables...Yamaha, Nakamichi, Garrard, Sony et al.

Where it will fall down is the ugly duckling case. Even that will change when LHL finishes and produces the newly designed case. Also many of the 3K and up DAC's + have features such as sleep modes, memory card slots, bluetooth and so on. The new Pulses being completed soon in the new cases will have all those features. The Infinity is not a made for retail DAC. So far as I know, no more Infinities will be produced, so there will be the Pulse vanilla, the Pulse X and the Pulse Xfi available for the retail market, plus all the new iterations which are Pulses and Power Supply together, some pure solid state and others Solid State and Tubes. Add to all this the new preamps, amps and possibly other surprises and one can see LHL and its crew will be very busy now they have their feet under them solidly. No more stumbling I predict.

Leo

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #8,419 of 13,800
  On a related note, I have not seen a lot of professional reviews on the Geek.  I think initially there were some but I was expecting more reviewers to get their hands on the Pulse.  Also it would be nice to compare the DAC with similarly price DACS.  And I am not talking about Indiegogo pricing but suggested MSRP.  I think comparisons will be useful for any future customers, and to see if they are really worth the MSRP.  Does a plain Geek PULSE really perform as a 1K DAC, don't know.  But I think at some point people need to start talking about it.  Does the Infinity really compare to DACs in the 3K range or whatever the price is. 

Audiostream, a sister site of Stereophile, has the Pulse Xfi + LPS4 on their "Coming Soon" listing.

I would imagine that professional review will contain comparisons to other like-priced gear.

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #8,420 of 13,800
Thanks Leo for your comments, just a couple of points to what you said. Gavin did say that they reserve the right to mass produce the Infinity and to be honest it'd be in their advantage to do so. Secondly stumbling is not impossible, in that kind of business Murphy's Laws are just around the corner, in fact if they are not stumbling then I would wonder what's going on at their headquarters. There are a lot of things they don't say in public because of the challenges they face however we do once in a while get bits and pieces of their inherent problems. What counts like you mentioned is that you've got a product you're happy with and that is worth listening. Note however that the the enthusiasm started with the infinity (I did not include the GO and it's variant, the precursor) so I am pretty sure they've learned their lesson. On the enclosure subject, the jury is still out, I would refrain from making any comments about it until I would have it in my hands but what I have seen so far, it's still questionable. As far as the other devices, there is still a long way to go, unfortunately. Patience is truly a virtue.

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #8,422 of 13,800

http://lhlabs.com/force/geekpulse/327-volume-control-with-64-bit-precision?limitstart=0

Unfortunately, no further comment was made to clarify this statement. Is the "internal register in Audio CPU" on the ESS chip or something else? Although, a moot point for me as I'm maxing out my volume control and using a separate preamp and headphone amp. 

No way to really know I guess if they won't say. Still, if we are still talking about DSD, then it can't be "something else" without it being "not DSD." So my understanding is that LH is just using the internal volume control of the ESS chip.

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #8,423 of 13,800
Originally Posted by doctorjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From *cough cough* years reading audiophile mags (Stereophile, TAS, The Audiophile Voice, others), there is a big difference in the way most "professional" reviewers write/review, and most Head-Fiers. Reviews in the Audiophile Press usually state the reviewer has lived with the gear for a number of months, really getting to know it, possibly trying different components to get a sense of how it matches with other gear. On Head Fi, everyone is in a rush to get a review in. It is not unusual to read..."I have been listening to XYZ for 2 hours, and I had to post this review", or something to that effect. I personally have had my opinion of gear change as I live with it, and have sometimes been sorry or embarrassed by some of my early impressions, and have had to post retractions or changed opinions. I wouldn't expect to see Stereophile reviewing this next week (they generally won't review pre-production units either, no "beta" impressions), and not until maybe fall or winter, if they do their job correctly.
My $0.02.

You're right. For my published reviews I spend 30+ days with the gear before I put pen to paper, so to speak. It takes a while to really get to know a piece of gear. You can develop basic impressions in as little as 20-30 seconds, but burn-in, brain and/or gear, is necessary to really know an item inside and out. I'm a bit skeptical when someone does a full-fledged review after only a day or two with a product. That said, I think writing impressions early on is great because it gives you a baseline on the new toy and you can gauge how your thoughts have changed as you listen.

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #8,424 of 13,800
You're right. For my published reviews I spend 30+ days with the gear before I put pen to paper, so to speak. It takes a while to really get to know a piece of gear. You can develop basic impressions in as little as 20-30 seconds, but burn-in, brain and/or gear, is necessary to really know an item inside and out. I'm a bit skeptical when someone does a full-fledged review after only a day or two with a product. That said, I think writing impressions early on is great because it gives you a baseline on the new toy and you can gauge how your thoughts have changed as you listen.

Call it building intimacy. No matter if you call it burn in or just for your ears and brain establishing audio intimacy, once you pass a certain time period, all your conceptions or misconceptions are gone and your mind is more opened to what you're listening to, including nuances, breadth of sound and any clues from well known recordings. To me that's the kind of review worth reading but I would not put down first impressions, those are needed to get a picture of a non compromised auditory system. Surprising your ears and brain is another exercise. The most interesting reviews are those that are chronologically organized moving from first impressions to long lasting ones and dates recoded in between. I have seen this sort of reviews on sites like Amazon and they are truly effective and honest.

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #8,425 of 13,800
I was actually thinking of doing that kind of a review when i receive my Infinity. Post first impressions immediately after receiving it, then a second round after 24 hours, a third round after 48 hours, a fourth after 100 hours, and then the final round of impressions after 300+ hours. 

Listening equipment:

Headphones: Hifiman's HE-560 (modded) and HE-400, Fidelio X2
Speakers: KEF LS50, SVS PC12 NSD x2
Amp: Vintage Yamaha (modded)

Sold of all my other equipment.So guess these will have to do.

Music for the review:

1) The Dark Knight Rises soundtrack (HD Tracks 24bit 192kHz)
2) DSOTM (my personal vinyl rip) and Wish You Were Here
3) Rangeela and other AR Rahman soundtracks (flac/wav)
4) Infected Mushroom (my favourite top 20)
5) The Complex album (Blue Man Group)
6) Enigma (Top 30 favourites)
7) Dreamland album (Robert Miles)

I think the above music selections offer an excellent mix of music in terms of attributes like vocals, treble and bass extension and impact, soundstaging, imaging and dynamics. Plus these are what i listen to most often.

A more detailed look at the music selected above would tell you that i prefer music with large soundstaging. This is the kind of sound signature i am biased towards FYI.

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #8,427 of 13,800
I was actually thinking of doing that kind of a review when i receive my Infinity. Post first impressions immediately after receiving it, then a second round after 24 hours, a third round after 48 hours, a fourth after 100 hours, and then the final round of impressions after 300+ hours. 

Listening equipment:

Headphones: Hifiman's HE-560 (modded) and HE-400, Fidelio X2
Speakers: KEF LS50, SVS PC12 NSD x2
Amp: Vintage Yamaha (modded)

Sold of all my other equipment.So guess these will have to do.

Music for the review:

1) The Dark Knight Rises soundtrack (HD Tracks 24bit 192kHz)
2) DSOTM (my personal vinyl rip) and Wish You Were Here
3) Rangeela and other AR Rahman soundtracks (flac/wav)
4) Infected Mushroom (my favourite top 20)
5) The Complex album (Blue Man Group)
6) Enigma (Top 30 favourites)
7) Dreamland album (Robert Miles)

I think the above music selections offer an excellent mix of music in terms of attributes like vocals, treble and bass extension and impact, soundstaging, imaging and dynamics. Plus these are what i listen to most often.

A more detailed look at the music selected above would tell you that i prefer music with large soundstaging. This is the kind of sound signature i am biased towards FYI.

Why skip 72 hours, 96 hours, 120 hours....:D

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #8,428 of 13,800
I'm out of touch, I guess...have to check out Infected Mushroom, just for the name :)

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #8,430 of 13,800
Why skip 72 hours, 96 hours, 120 hours....
biggrin.gif

Wife :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back