Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jul 15, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #8,401 of 13,800
Any update when the forever funders pulses are supposed to ship? I received my lps a while back, but no word on the pulse...

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #8,404 of 13,800

I'm sorry, I may have misunderstood your earlier posts. From what I can tell, the internal operation of volume control for DSD in the ESS chip happens in the same place as that for PCM. From memory, the next-to-last stage in the chip produces a signal that according to one of their technical papers is "about 6 bits" (my wording not theirs), and that's where they do the volume control. Some say this is equivalent to converting to PCM, others say not.

It's also not clear if the volume control is all being done entirely on the ESS chip, to quote Larry at the Geek Force forum:

We will use ESS DAC's internal digital volume control, also two other our own implementations.

1) We will SKIP the computer's volume output, get the BIT PERFECT sample. Then feed in the user desired volume settings,
then use 64 bit precision internal register in Audio CPU to deliver the super accurate calculation.

2) Also, when user desired volume setting is -0db FS (Max Volume), we will automatic skip the whole digital process and keep
the bit perfect output to the DAC IC.

http://lhlabs.com/force/geekpulse/327-volume-control-with-64-bit-precision?limitstart=0

Unfortunately, no further comment was made to clarify this statement. Is the "internal register in Audio CPU" on the ESS chip or something else? Although, a moot point for me as I'm maxing out my volume control and using a separate preamp and headphone amp. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #8,405 of 13,800
  Any update when the forever funders pulses are supposed to ship? I received my lps a while back, but no word on the pulse...

Replied from CS for my Pulse in the Pulse-HE560 bundle: "Pulse and Pulse XFIs from the 2014 campaign are estimated to complete shipping in October... it will be around this time frame that you Pulse will ship. I estimate around the September."

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #8,406 of 13,800
I have received my Pulse xfi and LPS 4. Loving the sound (still breaking in)\

I'm curious if anyone has compared the xfi with Pulse infinity? I really can't find many detailed listeners impressions, particularly those comparing the pulse to other DACs...

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #8,407 of 13,800
On a related note, I have not seen a lot of professional reviews on the Geek.  I think initially there were some but I was expecting more reviewers to get their hands on the Pulse.  Also it would be nice to compare the DAC with similarly price DACS.  And I am not talking about Indiegogo pricing but suggested MSRP.  I think comparisons will be useful for any future customers, and to see if they are really worth the MSRP.  Does a plain Geek PULSE really perform as a 1K DAC, don't know.  But I think at some point people need to start talking about it.  Does the Infinity really compare to DACs in the 3K range or whatever the price is. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #8,408 of 13,800
  On a related note, I have not seen a lot of professional reviews on the Geek.  I think initially there were some but I was expecting more reviewers to get their hands on the Pulse.  Also it would be nice to compare the DAC with similarly price DACS.  And I am not talking about Indiegogo pricing but suggested MSRP.  I think comparisons will be useful for any future customers, and to see if they are really worth the MSRP.  Does a plain Geek PULSE really perform as a 1K DAC, don't know.  But I think at some point people need to start talking about it.  Does the Infinity really compare to DACs in the 3K range or whatever the price is. 

This is exactly what I have been thinking, and waiting for. Every 'forum' review of the DAC is vague and does not really make any comparison with like priced equipment, which is the real test.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #8,410 of 13,800
I've noticed that too. Most forum reviewers are coming from low tiered budget DACS or "this is my first real DAC."

Yes, glad you brought this up, we have been avoiding saying it.

I still hope the Pulse is a killer DAC, but just saying 'my Pulse X sounds awesome' without giving any comparative reference really tells us nothing.

And we are 560 pages into this thread...

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #8,411 of 13,800
It's just reality given the situation and marketing strategy used. I'm certainly not surprised; give it time and the comparisons will be made.

LH Labs marketed from the bottom up, which gave them a lot more potential customers, and they also had the Geek Out list to draw from. These folks generally aren't ones sitting on a bunch of multi-$k DACs. I know I wasn't! And those who were, might be consciously or unconsciously caught in the "higher price = better" fallacy and opt to wait. After all, such people could afford to buy at the MSRP advertised during the campaign.

If anyone wants to send me their Yggy or other DACs in the $3-5k range I'd be happy to write up a detailed comparison. But I certainly don't have the means to buy "competitors" at MSRP for fun, and I suggest this is likely the general case.

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #8,412 of 13,800
  It's just reality given the situation and marketing strategy used. I'm certainly not surprised; give it time and the comparisons will be made.

LH Labs marketed from the bottom up, which gave them a lot more potential customers, and they also had the Geek Out list to draw from. These folks generally aren't ones sitting on a bunch of multi-$k DACs. I know I wasn't! And those who were, might be consciously or unconsciously caught in the "higher price = better" fallacy and opt to wait. After all, such people could afford to buy at the MSRP advertised during the campaign.

If anyone wants to send me their Yggy or other DACs in the $3-5k range I'd be happy to write up a detailed comparison. But I certainly don't have the means to buy "competitors" at MSRP for fun, and I suggest this is likely the general case.

Hear, hear! Professional reviewers have loads of stuff to compare and often will take months to get around to new stuff like the Light Harmonic Pulse X and Pulse X Infinity. Meanwhile the previous members who are impatient for reviews by Pros will just have to put up with commentaries by the likes of me who does not qualify as anything but a lover of music and sound of the highest caliber.  I have the Pulse X Infinity and a Benchmark 1 USB and have posted comments and my thoughts elsewhere, but I will post some of those thoughts here. Understand, I do not have a vocabulary in physics speak, so my metaphors will have to do. I am after all a retired English teacher with a major in Philosophy and Ancient History of the Middle East, so keep that in mind as you read.

Well,the Universe is kind and my long awaited Pulse XFI Infinity arrived early today all safely and beautifully packaged. I think the extra wait for the special cartons was worth it Gavin.
I packed away my Benchmark USB 1 DAC for the nonce and setup the Infinity with a few stumbles, all of which were my fault for not reading instructions carefully and instead relied on my intuition. HA
I shouldn't and won't make further comments until the unit has had many hours to open up the Femto clocks, capacitors et al. I will say this, that even after a few hours I could hear the beast awakening and stretching its sonic muscles e.g. Already after 5 hours Christian McBride s bass has punch that is gratifying to behold and I believe I have only heard the surface of bass possibilities with this neat little box.

Regarding the Infinity's qualities in the realm of the bass then...it did very well for me in any type of music I listened to, whether it was Christian McBride's powerful double bass or the repeated dramatic blat of the Berlin Philharmonic's baritone trombone and tuba around minute 6:03 in Borodin's Polovitsian Dances or even the bass drum in the drum salute by the Simon Fraser University Pipe Band. The bass is deep, extended, tight and naturally musical.
Is it better than the Benchmark...not really! The Benchmark DAC creates a bass just as enjoyable, but maybe is slightly less tight. Having said that, it could just be me being in love with the Infinity!  

There are now at least two of us who have received and are in awe of this long awaited marvel. I am not a professional reviewer and from reading what Richard is writing and feeling about his Infinity, I am going to truncate this review here with a few comments regarding how this DAC from Larry Ho has gotten me in touch with my music in a way that the DAC seems to disappear, leaving me with pure music of the best kind.
So the bass, mids and highs as produced by the Infinity really are not separate entities, but rather a gestalt, an organic representation of music that is pure and rich. Voices of both men and women vocalists are magically brought forward, but not so much that the rest of the sounds are somehow modulated. Ihere is none of that, so I presume the Naked Resistors, Femto clocks coupled with Larry's wisdom all are doing a job that can only be described as jaw=droppingly awesome. Never heard another vehicle that presented mids so detailed and fluid. Norah Jones, Mark Murphy and Sinatra never sounded so good,
The highs are not in any way glassy or hard and totally lacking in digital artifacts. Cymbals sizzle, guitar strings vibrate and one can hear the artists fingernails scraping and clicking. The upper register of pianos, clarinets, xylophones et al are crystal clear and natural. The timbre of the wood in violins, violas, cellos and double basses is almost tactile.

I don't know that there is any need to go on...I could go on and on but I will be merciful and simply say this...if you ever had any doubts, if you were ever snarlingly angry, you can relax. Kudos to Larry, Gavin, Casey, Manny, Gina, Stephanie, Jody and anybody I have missed. As an old mountain man who is a friend of mine used to say, "You done did real good guys!!" Thank you so much!

OK! There must be something wrong with my critical listening guys. If what I am hearing is not just honeymoon enthusiasm, Larry is right! After a mere 24 hours the Femto clocks must be really ticking over...this DAC seems to be surpassing my excellent Benchmark in focus and solidity! My mouth is hanging open after listening to Jazz Radio Bass station on the Internet, for now the mids and highs are forming a gestalt with the bass to give a phenomenal ride to me and my Shure 1840's! The sound is so organic, no artificial sweeteners here. At one point two bass fiddles were playing fugues and contrapuntal riffs with each other while the guitar,piano and drums strode along with them so beautifully my eyes were tearing up. My wife walked by and said you must be getting old, this is the second time you are doing that today...weepy old fart. She's wrong though! It's not senility setting in, but awe at the sheer beauty of what I am hearing. Larry said somewhere that the naked resistors and femto clocks are going to make for seriously excellent musicality in this DAC. He did not lie.
OK enough for now. I must get away for a bit and gather my wits together. Am I just blindly in love?! 
silly.png
 Later with details regarding the mids and the highs! And no guys, I have not been hired by Gavin to shill LHL's product...this is real for me.

Leo

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #8,413 of 13,800
Agree with the point about the professional reviews taking longer. I'm not quite at that level yet, and I still have two other reviews to complete before I'm able to pay the proper level of attention to writing up the Infinity. 

But in a brief summary, the Infinity is a great sounding DAC/amp, besting my Burson Conductor (although that's still a great all-in-one solution). Much, much more to come in the coming weeks/months. 

Cheers

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #8,414 of 13,800
Oh, and on a separate point - has anyone else received their "free" Lightspeed 2G USB cable that qualified for one?

I have the 1G that the came with the Infinity, and I also received the 1G Micro I bought in anticipation of the Wave (but am currently using with my CDM), but I haven't received the 2G. 

Thanks all! 

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #8,415 of 13,800
  Oh, and on a separate point - has anyone else received their "free" Lightspeed 2G USB cable that qualified for one?

I have the 1G that the came with the Infinity, and I also received the 1G Micro I bought in anticipation of the Wave (but am currently using with my CDM), but I haven't received the 2G. 

Thanks all! 

Nope not yet! Are we supposed to ask or will it be automatic?  
biggrin.gif

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back